•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic Stellarvue?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kenny moses

kenny moses

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado, western

Posted 24 September 2021 - 10:57 PM

SV on GEML

I don't know if this is really a classic but I bought this scope used in 2006.  In my records I list it as a Stellarvue 102D Achromatic Doublet, F6.9 on a German EQ mount. The mount weighs 11lb 8.4oz and the scope 7lb 3.6oz. It has a JMI dual-speed (manual) focuser and a Stellarvue 2" dielectric diagonal. The only ID on it is a big SV on the dust cover.  I would like to know when these started production. Everything Stellarvue seems to be Apochromatic now. I haven't been using this one much in the last few years but I want to get more active again and have hauled it out to a patch of yard shielded from a street light next door a few times recently.

• Scott Beith, Castor and Bomber Bob like this

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Gemini

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 25 September 2021 - 12:15 AM

Did you ask Vic? If not why not shoot him a message with some photos?

https://www.cloudyni...arvue-102d-r485

• kenny moses likes this

#3 Star.Monger

Star.Monger

Mariner 2

• Loc: Maine

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:41 AM

I believe it had a limited production run in the early 2000's,  about 18-24 months. Maybe a 100 units?  It was advertised as having special coatings to limit false color ("attenuated coatings" if memory serves).  I was really interested in the scope when it came out and waited for reviews before making a purchase. After reading some fairly positive reviews I pinged SV to buy one but were all out.  

• Castor and kenny moses like this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:15 AM

Kenny:

Nice looking scope.. 

To be a classic in this forum, the scope has to be at least 25 years old.  That means 1996.  The StellarVue 102D was early 2000's and prior to availability of affordable ED scopes... 

The first generation used a minus violet coating on the outer half of the objective to try to tame the chromatic aberration of the achromatic objective.  The idea was that chromatic aberration primarily comes from the outer part of the objective.  I believe the second generation did not have the minus violet coatings.

Jon

• Castor, kenny moses, 7Soeurs and 1 other like this

#5 kenny moses

kenny moses

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:44 PM

Kenny:

Nice looking scope.. 

To be a classic in this forum, the scope has to be at least 25 years old.  That means 1996.  The StellarVue 102D was early 2000's and prior to availability of affordable ED scopes... 

The first generation used a minus violet coating on the outer half of the objective to try to tame the chromatic aberration of the achromatic objective.  The idea was that chromatic aberration primarily comes from the outer part of the objective.  I believe the second generation did not have the minus violet coatings.

Jon

Jon: Thank you for that information regarding the age of a "Classic."  Perhaps a moderator would move this thread to "Refractor?"

• mdowns likes this

#6 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:26 AM

I had a SV102D. I bought it new and was on a waitlist to get it. That was in early 2002.

• Scott in NC and kenny moses like this

#7 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:30 AM

PS, it was a nice scope for its times. I enjoyed it. It’s forte was more stellar system objects than solar system. I do remember that the dew shield had an annoying habit of sliding down. I believe they were actually made in Auburn CA at Stellarvue. I objectives were sourced from a non-disclosed place. 

• kenny moses likes this

#8 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:57 AM

I don't know if this is really a classic but I bought this scope used in 2006.  In my records I list it as a Stellarvue 102D Achromatic Doublet, F6.9 on a German EQ mount. The mount weighs 11lb 8.4oz and the scope 7lb 3.6oz. It has a JMI dual-speed (manual) focuser and a Stellarvue 2" dielectric diagonal. The only ID on it is a big SV on the dust cover.  I would like to know when these started production. Everything Stellarvue seems to be Apochromatic now. I haven't been using this one much in the last few years but I want to get more active again and have hauled it out to a patch of yard shielded from a street light next door a few times recently.

According to this database, the SV102D f/6.9 doublet achromat was produced from 2001-2004:

Attached File  Stellarvue_Refractor_List_(updated_2015-10-20).doc   45.5KB   54 downloads

• Scott Beith, kenny moses and tgreene like this

#9 tgreene

tgreene

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Redwood City, CA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 12:34 PM

According to this database, the SV102D f/6.9 doublet achromat was produced from 2001-2004:

attachicon.gifStellarvue_Refractor_List_(updated_2015-10-20).doc

Thanks for posting the Stellarvue refractor database - very informative!

I didn't see any of their Access series doublet telescopes there. Are they missing, or are they named something else?

Edited by tgreene, 26 September 2021 - 12:39 PM.

• Scott in NC likes this

#10 kenny moses

kenny moses

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 12:49 PM

attachicon.gifStellarvue_Refractor_List_(updated_2015-10-20).doc

Thank you. I took a look at that document and it answered the lingering question since all I've had is the brief description the seller provided in 2006.

• Scott Beith and Scott in NC like this

#11 kenny moses

kenny moses

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:02 PM

Did you ask Vic? If not why not shoot him a message with some photos?

https://www.cloudyni...arvue-102d-r485

Stellarvue 102D
Mar 21 2005 12:17 PM | David Owen in 100mm - 110mm Refractors

Thank you so much for referring me to this review. I learned a bit more about my 102D Achromatic from Stellarvue.  Really enjoyed the review by David Owen.

• Scott in NC likes this

#12 kenny moses

kenny moses

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:28 PM

Using my iPhone I held the lens to the Cheshire Collimating eyepiece a took this picture. I have not tried to collimate this scope and previous experience with an 8" reflector on a dob and an elderly C8 about 15 years ago tells me I am not good at it.

Cheshire Collimating eyepiece

#13 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for posting the Stellarvue refractor database - very informative!

I didn't see any of their Access series doublet telescopes there. Are they missing, or are they named something else?

That database was last updated in 2015, and I believe the Access line came out later than that.  Perhaps sometime between 2016 and 2018?  

• tgreene likes this

#14 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:11 PM

Using my iPhone I held the lens to the Cheshire Collimating eyepiece a took this picture. I have not tried to collimate this scope and previous experience with an 8" reflector on a dob and an elderly C8 about 15 years ago tells me I am not good at it.

While it’s hard for me to be sure from the picture, I suspect it’s probably okay.  I’m not sure that there’s an easy way for you to collimate that scope anyway, although I’m not familiar with the specific details of the 102D’s lens cell.  I owned a similar scope about 15 years ago, a Stellarvue 102EDT, which was an achromatic triplet (despite the EDT designation), and I’m pretty sure that that scope wasn’t designed to be user-collimatable either.

• kenny moses likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics