•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First time imaging and ... puzzled.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bendgrampie

bendgrampie

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 25 September 2021 - 01:26 AM

So, gear is set up, polar alignment done, mount zero position set (CEM40), get focus set.  Slew to M31 and do a live view in SharpCap and play with exposure times (30 seconds to a couple minutes) and different gain settings.   I see some stars and a small fuzzy glow that I assume is M31.   Pretty unimpresed.  So, having downloading a bunch of other apps, I tried using ASIStudio's ASILive and with the same exposure times, there's Andromeda looking as I'd hoped it would.  I stacked 10 3-minute exposures and got what's here (no calibration or post-processing - baby steps).

So what I don't understand at all is why I get a nice view of M31 in ASILive and get almost nothing to see in SharpCap.   Clearly, I'm missing something important (including neurons long vanished), but I have no idea what.   Any pointers would be welcome.

TIA.

Marc

Attached Thumbnails

• m31-5.jpg

Edited by bendgrampie, 25 September 2021 - 01:56 AM.

• ziggeman likes this

#2 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 25 September 2021 - 01:32 AM

I don't use SharpCap much, but I'm pretty sure you have to set it up to stretch your images. Look for the histogram control or something on the right side of the screen and see if there's an option for auto-stretch.

Hopefully someone more familiar with SharpCap can chime in to give you specifics.

#3 brentknight

brentknight

Gemini

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 25 September 2021 - 01:36 AM

Live View or Live Stack?  You will only see the current exposure with Live View.  Live Stack will allow you to stack each frame and you will see the image build up over time.

• ziggeman likes this

#4 bendgrampie

bendgrampie

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 25 September 2021 - 01:48 AM

Sorry, ASI Live is the live stacking bit of ASI Studio.

Edited by bendgrampie, 25 September 2021 - 01:57 AM.

#5 brentknight

brentknight

Gemini

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 25 September 2021 - 02:13 AM

In SharpCap, did you use Live View or Live Stack?

#6 arbit

arbit

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 September 2021 - 07:06 AM

Each individual sub will be dark. The stacking of multiple subs plus an autostretch is what makes the DSO visible. Seeing it in real time needs livestacking.

If you use LiveView in Sharpcap you will see only the latest (dark) sub.

If you use LiveStack in Sharpcap it will stack the subs in real time and you will get the same result (with some extra options).

The Sharpcap documentation on its website is very detailed and a good read.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
  • dswtan and brentknight like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics