•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Calculate conic constant of a hyperbolic mirror

ATM Optics Reflector Mirror Making
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kanishka827

Kanishka827

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2021 - 01:29 AM

I have fabricated a 10-inch f/2 hyperbolic concave mirror and I want to calculate the conic constant (K). I would be grateful if anyone could recommend me a method to calculate the conic constant of the mirror with some literature.

Thank you.

#2 MKV

MKV

Cosmos

• Loc: Southeast, USA

Posted 25 September 2021 - 01:49 AM

1) How do you know it's hyperbolic?

2) How hyperbolic it's supposed to be?

• Kanishka827 likes this

#3 Kanishka827

Kanishka827

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2021 - 02:27 AM

1) How do you know it's hyperbolic?

2) How hyperbolic it's supposed to be?

By observing  Ronchi patterns

#4 MKV

MKV

Cosmos

Posted 25 September 2021 - 02:37 AM

Okay. Do you have any ronchigrams? State if the images are inside or outside of ROC and what's the screen frecuncy (i.e. how many lines per inch or mm).

Also, what's the conic you're trying to achieve?

What are you going to use your f/2 mirror for?

#5 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Aurora

• Loc: Fort Worth TX

Posted 25 September 2021 - 03:26 AM

Ronchi patterns are good for qualitative assessment of figure shape and smoothness, and aren't so great at quantitative measurement of figure.  Direct testing using Foucault and/or wire testing gives you actual numbers.  At f/2, the Foucault knife-edge test isn't suitable. Replace the knife edge with a thin (~125-150um) diameter wire, and you have a good test method.  If the wire moves with the source, the zonal shifts are -kr²/2R, where k is the conic constant, r is the radial distance from the mirror center, and R is the vertex radius of curvature.  If the mirror is a paraboloid, k=-1, and if hyperboloidal, k<-1.  Read up on the caustic test as well, it gives slightly better and more repeatable test data.

• PrestonE, Oregon-raybender, davidc135 and 1 other like this

#6 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:28 PM

If you take the ronchi images, inside / outside radius of curvature, you can down load a program called “Diffract” to match what your seeing and you can get a rough idea of what kind of conic your working with. I would not use it it to call a mirror finished but it gives you a rough idea where you are.

https://youtu.be/FnEs7vyPArE

Edited by Pinbout, 25 September 2021 - 09:29 PM.

• davidc135 and Kanishka827 like this

#7 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 25 September 2021 - 10:04 PM

Cool animation

https://fb.watch/8fDadLX_zF/

• Kanishka827 likes this

#8 Kanishka827

Kanishka827

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2021 - 11:41 PM

Ronchi patterns are good for qualitative assessment of figure shape and smoothness, and aren't so great at quantitative measurement of figure.  Direct testing using Foucault and/or wire testing gives you actual numbers.  At f/2, the Foucault knife-edge test isn't suitable. Replace the knife edge with a thin (~125-150um) diameter wire, and you have a good test method.  If the wire moves with the source, the zonal shifts are -kr²/2R, where k is the conic constant, r is the radial distance from the mirror center, and R is the vertex radius of curvature.  If the mirror is a paraboloid, k=-1, and if hyperboloidal, k<-1.  Read up on the caustic test as well, it gives slightly better and more repeatable test data.

If you take the ronchi images, inside / outside radius of curvature, you can down load a program called “Diffract” to match what your seeing and you can get a rough idea of what kind of conic your working with. I would not use it it to call a mirror finished but it gives you a rough idea where you are.

https://youtu.be/FnEs7vyPArE

Thank you for sharing the knowladge

#9 Kanishka827

Kanishka827

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2021 - 11:43 PM

Thank you for your kind reply. I will try this method. Could you please suggest me any literature for that? Still I couldn't find any literature on calculating conic constant. Thank you.

Edited by Kanishka827, 06 October 2021 - 11:47 PM.

#10 MKV

MKV

Cosmos

Posted 07 October 2021 - 04:19 AM

If your mirror is a Cassegrain primary, it will have a central perforation. This will make it impossible to determine the exact paraxial focus and null the paraxial zone for zero reading. 

Rather, you should set your wire tester so that the wire shadow just bisects the very edge (margin) of the mirror and set the reading to zero.

Now, translate along the optical axis until the wire shadow bisects the 71% zonal radius (rz), and take a reading, dz. Calculate the conic K = -2dzR/rz2.

wire test_3.jpg

Example:

Your mirror is 200 mm f/2, and has a large central perforation. The mirror's clear aperture radius is 100, and its radius of curvature is 800.

You zero the tester at the very edge (margin) of the mirror's clear aperture.

Now move the tester until your wire shadow bisects the the zone at the radius of 71 mm, and read the distance traveled, d= 3.2 mm.

It will look something like this

d 0.4.JPG

(Use a suspended ruler in front of the mirror to see where the zones are)

Now you have everything needed to calculate the conic constant (K).

dz = 3.2

R = 800

(rz)2 = (71)2 = 5000

K = -2dzR/rz2 = -2*3.2*800/5000 = -1.024 (a weak hyperboloid)

A wire tester consists of a bright point source and a taught wire/hair close to the light source.

For the wire tester measurements along the axis you'll need a micrometric X-Y stage

wire tester.jpg

Incidentally, you can use a single human hair as a wire. A human hair is anywhere from 17 to 180 microns. Look for thin ones. :o)

Mladen

edit: typos 

Edited by MKV, 07 October 2021 - 05:36 PM.

• Oregon-raybender and davidc135 like this

#11 davidc135

davidc135

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Posted 07 October 2021 - 04:54 AM

Thank you for your kind reply. I will try this method. Could you please suggest me any literature for that? Still I couldn't find any literature on calculating conic constant. Thank you.

You use the word calculate rather than measure the conic constant suggesting that you want to know what it should be. I might be reading too much into that but there is an online Cassegrain calculator which will give conics and other details once you feed in the basic parameters- including the type of Cassegrain eg Ritchey Chretien.

Enter in Tomas Maruska Cassegrain calculator and it should come up.

David

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATM, Optics, Reflector, Mirror Making

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics