•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunt Herschel wedge

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 25 September 2021 - 02:30 AM

Kind of unsure about trying a lunt wedge after the little h-alpha scope I got. From what I gather I would need another purchase on top of lunts wedge to use it visually, the polarizer and it's unavailable although I'm sure since it's a standard circular polarizer I could probably (maybe?) Find one that would fit or even another neutral density filter.

I haven't exactly been floored by my LS50THA especially in the imaging aspect, visually it's alright but still haven't been totally satisfied. Could be my standards or just me misunderstanding the scope itself.

The baader kit has been unavailable for a while now, missed the boat on that one but seems baader had trouble with their threading (at least the last filter I got).

I've read back focus might be an issue on either type. Would I have any issues picking up a LUNT wedge? Probably stick it on the end of my AT80EDT or maybe even ZenithStar 61. Mostly for imaging but would probably look visually also.

Should I wait for the baader?

Edited by wxcloud, 25 September 2021 - 02:32 AM.

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:25 AM

Hi,

Have you been able to see chromosphere features lately? Prominences? Plages and filaments and all? Or has it just looked like a reddish sphere with a few little disturbances? My guess is that you've probably been off-band or viewing during the period of the minimum of the cycle with next to no activity. If you didn't see much in the chromosphere, you'll see even less in the photosphere. The photosphere is all about the sunspots. They're coming back slowly but surely. Chromosphere is always active, so there's always a prominence to see, etc. That Lunt 50 should be the work horse really. If you were having issues imaging, can you share an example? I'm guessing you were off-band or not in focus, because a 50mm scope on-band will produce plenty of features down to the spicules on the chromosphere's transition zone.

A wedge will be more important in a few more years when the maximum of the cycle is here and there's monster spots daily.

At your image scale and small apertures, any small wedge will work the same basically. I wouldn't stress getting a Baader, a used Lunt or clone 1.25" wedge will be fantastic on those small scopes with no problems. I would focus on getting good results with your Lunt 50 first though before moving into photosphere where there is less activity currently.

Very best,

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:46 AM

I use a nice 100mm Apo Refractor for solar; upgraded from a full-aperture glass solar filter to the Lunt Wedge and the improvement is spectacular. Images went from very meh to very nice. Here are a couple images using the wedge. Single snapshots with very little processing.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 61 solar white-light filter and wedge.jpg

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:47 AM

nother picture using Lunt Wedge >>>>    Tom

~click on~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 60 Giant Sunspot white light barlowed Tom Dey.jpg

• hopskipson and wxcloud like this

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:48 AM

final picture >>>    Tom

~click on~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 59 Mercury Transit Genesis F5 Tom.jpg

• wxcloud likes this

#6 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 25 September 2021 - 08:31 AM

Kind of unsure about trying a lunt wedge after the little h-alpha scope I got. From what I gather I would need another purchase on top of lunts wedge to use it visually, the polarizer and it's unavailable although I'm sure since it's a standard circular polarizer I could probably (maybe?) Find one that would fit or even another neutral density filter.

I haven't exactly been floored by my LS50THA especially in the imaging aspect, visually it's alright but still haven't been totally satisfied. Could be my standards or just me misunderstanding the scope itself.

The baader kit has been unavailable for a while now, missed the boat on that one but seems baader had trouble with their threading (at least the last filter I got).

I've read back focus might be an issue on either type. Would I have any issues picking up a LUNT wedge? Probably stick it on the end of my AT80EDT or maybe even ZenithStar 61. Mostly for imaging but would probably look visually also.

I think you are expecting more, visually, than its capailities  I had the Lunt 1.25" WL wedge on my f6 , 80mm scope and then graduated to the Altair Astro 2" WL wedge, I use it on my 80-102-127mm scopes, it was a great move for my viewing.  And I also have the excellent Lunt 40mm ha on a solar tracking mount for viewing. But my expectations are realistic not .......  PS  I also compliment them at times with either a variable polarizing or No 56-58 green filters

• philmor56 likes this

#7 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 25 September 2021 - 11:50 AM

Oh and by the way I had the Baader WL filter kit. on my 80mm, f6, before I graduated to the Lunt wedge and it was a great performer as well

Edited by LDW47, 25 September 2021 - 11:51 AM.

#8 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:52 PM

Yeah, I can see details, mostly surface orange peel effect at lower power, I understand proms will need tuned different to see them. Haven't seen much plage but filaments I've managed to see. However the LUNT LS50THA does seem to have an annoying sweet spot. I might be asking too much of the scope however.

I have thought about ordering a new o ring kit for it and perhaps proper dovetail.

I did order the 2" lunt wedge. Couldn't find the lunt polarizer, I'm open to suggestions for that. I've heard I might have issues with back focus (especially with baader) even more so with the 2"

Guess we'll see.

#9 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:39 AM

Since it's recommended to use an additional filter (polarizer) with the wedge for visual use and the lunt is out of stock, any suggestions? Without the polarizer it's recommended the wedge be used photographically.

I do have a lunar variable ND filter that screws to the eyepiece it's a cheap Orion one. Also considered the baader continuum filter but worried it won't screw in properly.

Wedge is on its way. Main concern right now is if I'll be able to bring it to focus. Haven't quite decided what scope to use it on yet. 

#10 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:20 PM

Since it's recommended to use an additional filter (polarizer) with the wedge for visual use and the lunt is out of stock, any suggestions? Without the polarizer it's recommended the wedge be used photographically.

I do have a lunar variable ND filter that screws to the eyepiece it's a cheap Orion one. Also considered the baader continuum filter but worried it won't screw in properly.

Wedge is on its way. Main concern right now is if I'll be able to bring it to focus. Haven't quite decided what scope to use it on yet. 

I use an Orion polarizing filter.  It works fine for visual with the wedge.  

https://www.telescop...larizing filter

#11 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Viking 1

• Loc: Where ever we park the RV

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:29 PM

The Sun has been pretty sleepy for a while now, but it's starting to pick up. I've had many days where there isn't much to be seen. I think a wedge - or even Baader solar film, is a good thing to have in the tool box. During solar minimum my wedge is rarely used because as mentioned above, it's all about spots with white light. I picked up a couple neutral density filters, and an Orion polarizer for my wedge. If you get a good spot group in good seeing a wedge will show you amazing details in the spots. If there's no, or tiny spots, the best you'll get is some granulation and faculae near the limb.

#12 slavicek

slavicek

Messenger

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 08:52 PM

I have no issues with the Lunt 2" wedge. I use it on 60 mm and 100 mm refractors. Looking at the Sun without the polarizer is just uncomfortably bright, so you need to add some kind of filter. Maybe the "Moon polarizer" could work? Give it a try if you have one.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics