•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What would you get if you had to upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Surfer4329

Surfer4329

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2021 - 02:36 AM

I currently have an Atlas EQ-G that I bought secondhand from someone here on CloudyNights Classifieds. The mount has been a work horse for me for 2 1/2 years now. I was just wondering, if you had to upgrade from an Atlas EQ-G, what would be the next tier of mount above this one? You can answer with any manufacturer, not just skywatcher/Orion mounts.

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 25 September 2021 - 02:40 AM

Upgrade in what way? Tracking accuracy or carrying capacity? The answer could vary wildly, depending on which upgrade is most important to you. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• 25585 and teashea like this

#3 blazek

blazek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:31 AM

Indeed, are you after more payload, or after mount own weight/payload ratio , or guiding accuracy and of course how much can you spend. 

For example iOptron CEM70  would be one of possible directions , 12kg more payload , excellent own weight/payload ratio, decent tracking, good cable management , if budget allows EC version with encoders .... .

But then again, it all depends what is your primary goal... 

• teashea likes this

#4 cougarone

cougarone

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Audobon and Paupack, PA

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:34 AM

Recently I upgraded my mounts (wont mention previous ones) to an AP 1100 (waiting on encoders) and GM811G, never looked back.

• teashea likes this

#5 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Apollo

• Loc: Green Valley, AZ

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:39 AM

CEM70

#6 Surfer4329

Surfer4329

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2021 - 12:29 PM

Well I don’t plan on taking my payload above 45lbs. So if you use that as a constant…

#7 WadeH237

WadeH237

Cosmos

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 25 September 2021 - 02:09 PM

Is there something wrong with your current mount?

The reason that I ask is that it sits in a bit of a sweet spot regarding price to performance.  There are other mounts that you can get in the same weight and price class, but they won't necessarily be an upgrade.  If you want to upgrade your capacity, then there's not much between the Atlas and the CEM70 or Losmandy G11.  If you want to upgrade accuracy and general quality, then there is a big gap, up to the MyT or a used Mach1.

As Thomas said in post 2, we can make better suggestions if we know what you are specifically looking for.

#8 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 25 September 2021 - 02:53 PM

I would take a serious look at the Losmandy GM811G or G11G or if you want up to 75lb capacity for AP work the G11T. 

• pweiler likes this

#9 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 25 September 2021 - 03:21 PM

For the OP,  I can recommend jumping a tier or two to a used Mach 1, if you can find one.

(For myself, if I ever update my Mach 1, it would probably be to  .... a (surprise) Mach 2.)

#10 Surfer4329

Surfer4329

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2021 - 03:27 PM

I probably should have been clear in the beginning. I’m not really looking for a new mount. This question was supposed to be more of a hypothetical. Like, if $ wasn’t a question and you had someone give you a choice for a free mount in this category (i wish i was that lucky) what would you pick and why? I’ve just been watching so many videos on so many mounts, just learning the market. Was curious what the community thinks.

#11 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:39 PM

Then look for a used Losmandy GM8, G11G or G11

#12 bigeastro

bigeastro

Vanguard

• Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:15 PM

Surfer Dude,

That is an easy one.   Any of the AP mounts Mach 2, AP1100 or AP1600.  Very easy.  No real competition for a world class USA manufactured work of electro-mechanical art. 

I am in for a new mount, for portable use of a 10" GSO Newt currently in my closet to supplement my observatory.   I want to go out with the local club and leave the observatory behind imaging while I go to the dark sky site but can't really afford the AP mounts at this time.  I was in for an AP 1100 but the price went up and I am on the list for any scope I can get and I can't get both.  I and am interested in the discussion here that includes value for the price. 

#13 bigeastro

bigeastro

Vanguard

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:16 PM

Specifically the Mach 2.  Depends on your weight, but that Mach 2 is the dream machine.

• rockstarbill and JamesTX like this

#14 JamesTX

JamesTX

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:19 PM

If the Atlas has been getting it done... and you are not planning on a bigger scope any time soon... then it sounds like you are not in a rush and just want to step up to a higher quality and performance mount. 

I would get on the list for a new AP Mach 2. 

#15 JamesTX

JamesTX

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:25 PM

I probably should have been clear in the beginning. I’m not really looking for a new mount. This question was supposed to be more of a hypothetical. Like, if $ wasn’t a question and you had someone give you a choice for a free mount in this category (i wish i was that lucky) what would you pick and why? I’ve just been watching so many videos on so many mounts, just learning the market. Was curious what the community thinks.

The Mach2 gives you reliable and precise performance..with or without guiding.  The ability to counteract wind is another big plus (my eq6 with an edge8 gets pushed around in the wind.  Anything over 7mph and I can't image with it).  The fact that it would be a life time mount.. it would be the last mount for that payload range I would ever have to buy is another reason.

• rockstarbill likes this

#16 sgtusmc

sgtusmc

Vostok 1

• Loc: Mentor, Ohio

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:28 PM

I was just thinking this same thing.  I also have been using an Atlas EQ-G for the better part of 10 years.  The thing is an absolute workhorse.  My biggest issue is that it weighs a ton and isn't what I would consider "portable" anymore, so I'm looking at something lighter since I only shoot wide-field anymore.  Not really an upgrade per se, but I am looking at the CEM26 since it is significantly lighter and would work for me and my 7lb SpaceCat setup.

#17 bigeastro

bigeastro

Vanguard

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:28 PM

If money is not the object, then the other parameters are capacity and portability.  The latter may throw the choice into the 1100 with encoders.  Money not being an issue, indicates that the encoders are a must for the feature.

#18 bigeastro

bigeastro

Vanguard

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:31 PM

Personally, after reading some of the posts here it looks like the iOptron CEM70 without the encoders and only the polar feature looks like what I may need.   The NUC feature may not be the best choice if you carry around a laptop anyways and like to have a bunch of applications handy.  I am in South Florida and for the first time since May we may have a couple of days to image.   Thereafter, it will probably increase the opportunities through October and the skies open up again for imaging in November, so I am looking to go mobile sooner than later.

Edited by bigeastro, 25 September 2021 - 05:32 PM.

#19 WadeH237

WadeH237

Cosmos

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 25 September 2021 - 08:14 PM

...if $ wasn’t a question and you had someone give you a choice for a free mount in this category (i wish i was that lucky) what would you pick and why?

Price no object?

The two obvious choices are the Astro-Physics Mach2 and the 10Micron GM1000HPS. Either of them would give you essentially perfect tracking and support for robust tracking models that could eliminate the need for guiding.  I would expect either of them to be "lifetime" mounts, that would provide very long service life.

As you can tell in my signature, I would go with the Astro-Physics smile.gif

• psandelle and rockstarbill like this

#20 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 25 September 2021 - 08:22 PM

I currently have an Atlas EQ-G that I bought secondhand from someone here on CloudyNights Classifieds. The mount has been a work horse for me for 2 1/2 years now. I was just wondering, if you had to upgrade from an Atlas EQ-G, what would be the next tier of mount above this one? You can answer with any manufacturer, not just skywatcher/Orion mountMo

Most importantly, congratulations on upgrading.  The mount is as important as the telescope ---- most people here on CN do not realize that.  

#21 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 25 September 2021 - 08:23 PM

If you are serious, an AP mount.

#22 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 25 September 2021 - 10:58 PM

Mach 2 GTO its a no brainer. 

#23 Surfer4329

Surfer4329

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 12:22 AM

What’s the wait period for a Mach 2? I keep seeing ppl post that they’re in queue for one.

#24 bjkaras

bjkaras

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Back and forth between Santa Clara, CA and Las Vegas, NV

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:08 AM

I would go with an AP mount. I’m thinking of upgrading to one for my 6” f/12. Maybe next year if I’m lucky.

#25 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:14 AM

As an owner of the Mach 2, and someone that has put quite a load on the Mach 2 and seen it perform admirably, I would of course recommend it to anyone with only one reservation, and that is its availability.

Getting one is neigh impossible, and it also recently had its price increased by about $2k, likely because of the raw materials skyrocketing over the last year or so. Planewave is in the same boat with their products as well. 

So yes, Mach 2 would be my answer with those considerations though. 

Edited by rockstarbill, 26 September 2021 - 01:14 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics