•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Used hand controller "Transmit Data"

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Inferlogic

Inferlogic

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2021 - 03:57 AM

Hi all,

hope someone can help. I have a Celestron Astro Fi 5 telescope which naturally doesn't come with a hand controller, but I got that stressed out with WIFI and the sky portal app that i couldn't cope with the disconnections and hoped that a Celestron hand controller would be a better solution. So I pulled the trigger and bought one on Ebay without really researching a compatible one for my scope. Anyhow I have tried it on my cope and it seems to show the message Transmit Data and this message stays on the hand controller. Now i am wondering have i bought the wrong version of hand controller for my scope. On researching i can see that the version 4 hand controller is compatible with mine but it doesn't show on the hand controller which version it is. if i post a picture does anyone know which version this is?

If it is the correct version of hand controller is there any other reason the controller could be stuck on Transmitting Data?

any help much appreciated,

Taz

Attached Thumbnails

• hand controller.jpg

Edited by Inferlogic, 25 September 2021 - 03:58 AM.

#2 minhlead

minhlead

Vendor - ML Astro Weather Station

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Ha Noi, Vietnam

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:09 AM

I had this problem with my nexstar 8 se. The hand controller work again when I hit the hand controller and a power recycle. But after a while the " Russian treatment" stop working and I have to buy a new hc.

#3 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:17 AM

May help, may not...

https://www.celestro...y-transmit-data

#4 SkipW

SkipW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 27 September 2021 - 08:24 PM

Hi all,

hope someone can help. I have a Celestron Astro Fi 5 telescope which naturally doesn't come with a hand controller, but I got that stressed out with WIFI and the sky portal app that i couldn't cope with the disconnections and hoped that a Celestron hand controller would be a better solution. So I pulled the trigger and bought one on Ebay without really researching a compatible one for my scope. Anyhow I have tried it on my cope and it seems to show the message Transmit Data and this message stays on the hand controller. Now i am wondering have i bought the wrong version of hand controller for my scope. On researching i can see that the version 4 hand controller is compatible with mine but it doesn't show on the hand controller which version it is. if i post a picture does anyone know which version this is?

If it is the correct version of hand controller is there any other reason the controller could be stuck on Transmitting Data?

any help much appreciated,

Taz

That's a NexStar* ("NexStar-star", Version ) HC. NexStar+ ("NexStar-plus") HCs have different button positions and nomenclature.

NexStar* HCs run Version 3 or Version 4 firmware. Version 3 HCs can not be updated by the user; Version 4 HCs can be. I think that "Transmit Data" mode is for programming, so that one is probably v4.

NexStar+ HCs run Version 5 firmware.

If you can get it to work at all, the Version command under the Utilities menu will tell you exactly what firmware is loaded.

If it always 'wakes up' in Transmit mode, some keys might be stuck. If both the INFO and UNDO buttons are pressed on power up, it wakes up in Transmit mode. Maybe try jiggling them, or starting with them pressed then restarting with them not pressed [grasping at straws here].

Pressing the 0 (Zero) button while powering up will do a factory reset (I think... it does on v5 HCs). You will probably want to do that before using it, anyway. Give that a try... maybe that will shake the cobwebs out [more grasping at straws, but can't hurt].

Mike Swanson's excellent nexstarsite.com is a great resource for all things Nexstar. Maybe he will notice your plea and ride in to your rescue here, too.

Good luck! Please let us know what you find.

#5 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 27 September 2021 - 09:27 PM

Hi,

Since it is displaying "transmit data" and the logo under the display is "NexStar*, it is a version 4 hand control.  You should attempt to load the NXS 4.22 firmware using these instructions at my web site:

https://www.nexstars...wToVersion4.htm

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#6 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 28 September 2021 - 06:57 AM

..and carefully check over the cable/connector that attach it to the telescope mount.  It's old enough that there will be some wear and tear there, possibly a bad connection.

#7 Rac19

Rac19

Vanguard

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:25 AM

I think that. "Transmit Data" is actually the correct mode for a computer communications. The fact that is comes up in that mode without holding "INFO" and "UNDO" on power-up may or may not be a problem. Of course if it is totally frozen, that's another matter, requiring a reset of some sort.

Have you tried actually using it for serial communications? Do you have the necessary Celestron RS232 cable (to connect to the bottom of the HC) and RS232 to USB cable?

Also the NextStar * HC is an older model HC, the Nextstar + is the latest. I don't know if the Nexstar * offers tgecsane communications functionality as the Nexstar +.

My 2 cents worth.

#8 Inferlogic

Inferlogic

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2021 - 05:32 PM

That's a NexStar* ("NexStar-star", Version ) HC. NexStar+ ("NexStar-plus") HCs have different button positions and nomenclature.

NexStar* HCs run Version 3 or Version 4 firmware. Version 3 HCs can not be updated by the user; Version 4 HCs can be. I think that "Transmit Data" mode is for programming, so that one is probably v4.

NexStar+ HCs run Version 5 firmware.

If you can get it to work at all, the Version command under the Utilities menu will tell you exactly what firmware is loaded.

If it always 'wakes up' in Transmit mode, some keys might be stuck. If both the INFO and UNDO buttons are pressed on power up, it wakes up in Transmit mode. Maybe try jiggling them, or starting with them pressed then restarting with them not pressed [grasping at straws here].

Pressing the 0 (Zero) button while powering up will do a factory reset (I think... it does on v5 HCs). You will probably want to do that before using it, anyway. Give that a try... maybe that will shake the cobwebs out [more grasping at straws, but can't hurt].

Mike Swanson's excellent nexstarsite.com is a great resource for all things Nexstar. Maybe he will notice your plea and ride in to your rescue here, too.

Good luck! Please let us know what you find.

Thanks for the solutions i will try jiggling those info and undo buttons and try it on power up before starting it see if it helps.

I also read somewhere about the zero button, i tried it and it seem to be working because it said initializing.... but it then stuck on initializing.. for like 5 minutes and as i let go of the buttons it just went back to transmit data again. any idea how long I need to hold zero for it to successfully factory reset?

#9 Inferlogic

Inferlogic

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2021 - 05:37 PM

Hi,

Since it is displaying "transmit data" and the logo under the display is "NexStar*, it is a version 4 hand control.  You should attempt to load the NXS 4.22 firmware using these instructions at my web site:

https://www.nexstars...wToVersion4.htm

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Thanks for the help Michael. I actually thought about plugging it into the computer to update the firmware so then i went about looking to buy a lead to plug it into the computer, then I realized that the lead actually is built into the hand controller and it doesn't seem to have a socket to unplug the original lead from the handset as the lead is built into it, do I somehow use the oringnal lead to plug it into the computer somehow there is only a telephone connector on the other end (the end that plugs into the telescope.

Thanks for help.

#10 Inferlogic

Inferlogic

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2021 - 05:39 PM

I think that. "Transmit Data" is actually the correct mode for a computer communications. The fact that is comes up in that mode without holding "INFO" and "UNDO" on power-up may or may not be a problem. Of course if it is totally frozen, that's another matter, requiring a reset of some sort.

Have you tried actually using it for serial communications? Do you have the necessary Celestron RS232 cable (to connect to the bottom of the HC) and RS232 to USB cable?

Also the NextStar * HC is an older model HC, the Nextstar + is the latest. I don't know if the Nexstar * offers tgecsane communications functionality as the Nexstar +.

My 2 cents worth.

I went to buy a RS232 cable and realized that there is no way to unplug the original lead from the handset because it is built into the hand controller,  so i can't detach it, in that case how do people update the firmware on it?

thanks for the help.

#11 Rac19

Rac19

Vanguard

Posted 29 September 2021 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the help Michael. I actually thought about plugging it into the computer to update the firmware so then i went about looking to buy a lead to plug it into the computer, then I realized that the lead actually is built into the hand controller and it doesn't seem to have a socket to unplug the original lead from the handset as the lead is built into it, do I somehow use the oringnal lead to plug it into the computer somehow there is only a telephone connector on the other end (the end that plugs into the telescope.

Thanks for help.

The coiled cable on the HC shouid only ever by plugged into the mount, it is incompatible with computer serial ports (RS232 or USB).

There is an RS232 port on the bottom of the HC which has a non standard RJ12 (maybe RJ11). You need a special cable from Celestron to convert from RJ12 to DB9 (standard RS232) and a second cable to convert from RS232 to USB.

Attached Thumbnails

• 7761A728-653D-46DD-B73A-B226AEB4F5F8.jpeg

#12 Inferlogic

Inferlogic

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 October 2021 - 12:12 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help so far. I bought a new lead to try and update the hand controller. I did the suggestions from Mike Swanson and tried to load the the NXS 4.22 firmware. The hand controller seemed to be updating but then when it got to 100% it gave me an error saying

"Found difference at Bank 0, Block 0

Continue?"

Every time I click yes it just increases to the next block no matter how many times I clicked yes. In the end I clicked no and then when I refresh the status of the software version it doesn't seem to have updated. What could be causing this, could there be something wrong with the hand controller?

Thanks for help so far.

Attached Thumbnails

• HC2.JPG

#13 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 07 October 2021 - 12:14 AM

Sorry for not getting back to help with the cable situation but the wonderful team here on CN had it covered :-)

This error in HCupdate usually means a bad memory cell in the hand control.  This is physical error that doesn't have an easy fix.  If you open the back of the hand control (power off and unplug from the mount) and find two large socketed chips, you can press them firmly to reseat and then attempt the firmware load again.  If the chips are all soldered in place, you probably need to purchase a replacement hand control.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#14 Inferlogic

Inferlogic

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:01 AM

Sorry for not getting back to help with the cable situation but the wonderful team here on CN had it covered :-)

This error in HCupdate usually means a bad memory cell in the hand control.  This is physical error that doesn't have an easy fix.  If you open the back of the hand control (power off and unplug from the mount) and find two large socketed chips, you can press them firmly to reseat and then attempt the firmware load again.  If the chips are all soldered in place, you probably need to purchase a replacement hand control.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Thanks everyone for your help on this. I bought this item on eBay as a used item and with it being eBay I was protected by the "Not as described" policy, I explained to the seller that I now realize that the hand controller was faulty after getting some expert opinions on the fault and this fault wasn't communicated on the description before buying. eBay refunded my money straight away and the seller happily accepted this explaining that it was an honest mistake and apologized for it. 

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look at my post and try to help with the issue and even though it wasn't the outcome I wanted (I just want a working hand controller lol) the situation was resolved in the end.

Cheers guys

Taz

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics