•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New CEM40 Tracking/Slewing Noise

Mount
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wen_astroevo

wen_astroevo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago/Boston

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:34 PM

Hello,

I have been “secretly” learning from CN for a whole and really appreciate the great advice/suggestions offered here. This is my first post and please forgive me if I fail to follow the posting rules.

I just received my new CEM40 mount and noticed some strange noise while tracking and slewing. I have emailed iOptron (and my dealer), but would really love to hear your opinions! Here are detailed description and two short videos I recorded —

Upon testing the CEM40 mount I noticed some strange noise. While tracking at sidereal speed it makes a rhythmic sound, and while slewing at various speeds it makes large sanding/vacuuming sound multiple times in the middle (mainly from RA motor). This occurs with or without OTA.

I have uploaded two short videos on YouTube recording the sounds. Please find the link below —

CEM40 Tracking Noise (https://youtube.com/...M?feature=share)

CEM40 Slewing Sanding Noise (https://youtube.com/...E?feature=share)

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all and clear skies!

Wen

#2 belliott4488

belliott4488

Ranger 4

• Loc: MD, US

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:56 PM

Well, this won't be a lot of help, but I can tell you that my CEM40 doesn't make those noises. Sorry! confused1.gif

#3 wen_astroevo

wen_astroevo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago/Boston

Posted 25 September 2021 - 08:02 PM

Well, this won't be a lot of help, but I can tell you that my CEM40 doesn't make those noises. Sorry! confused1.gif

Thank you for sharing your experience. This helps too!

Wen

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics