•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ideal 2" wide angle, long eye relief for XT8i F5.9 Dob'

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JJershin

JJershin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2021 - 07:29 PM

I've rediscovered this hobby after many, many years away, and recently picked up a 26mm, 2" eyepiece from Sbvony to use with my 8" Orion refractor.

It's a 70 degree eyepiece with 22mm of eye relief and while it's a lower cost brand, i'm really enjoying using it.

I'd like to pick up another 2" eyepiece but am wondering if it makes sense to look at a higher power, SWA style eyepiece like something in the 7-15mm range?

Or would wide angle 1.25 eyepieces in that magnification do an adequate or equivalent job? long eye relief is important as my eye's are getting older, and a wide field of view is preferred too.

I have a 9 and 15mm 1.25" Kellner's with 70 degree and like 15-18mm eye relief that I normally use with this scope, so don't want to waste money on a 2" if i'm not going to see a noticeable step up.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

#2 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:36 PM

There is no advantage at 16mm and shorter for going 2", that's why the 16 T5 Naglers are 1.25".  You might want to look at the Morpheus line of eyepieces with a 20mm eye relief, and a wide 76* FOV, they would work great in your 8" Dob.

• JJershin likes this

#3 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 25 September 2021 - 10:33 PM

You might want to consider the Baader 24-8mm Mark lV zoom eyepiece. It is actually a 1.25" eyepiece that comes with a 2" skirt adapter. This means no reaching for an adapter when you go from your 2'' 26/70. The zoom has many benefits other than less eyepiece swapping. Besides good eye relief, the FOV expands as you zoom to higher powers. Very often I just use my 2" ES 28/68 and the Baader zoom. Best of luck to you! waytogo.gif

#4 YeloSub

YeloSub

Vostok 1

Posted 25 September 2021 - 10:52 PM

for $65 I'd get the GSO 30mm superview

for $95Agena Astro 32mm or 38mm SWA (also Orion Q70)

Or at $250 the APM 30mm UFF

The APM is one of the best of the bunch without jumping to a 31mm Nagler, especially when eye relief is a concern.

All of these come up used fairly often, the APM less so as it is a well loved piece.

At the end of the day it depends on what you want to spend. There are more options out there, but from what I have tried, this is what I can recommend. And I have tried these in that same 8" dob as well. In the end, you get what you pay for, but even the GSO doesn't suck, the others are just better.

Clear skies,

Jake

• f18dad and JJershin like this

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:52 AM

All of these come up used fairly often, the APM less so as it is a well loved piece.

The APM has only been available for a year or two.  There are a limited number out there.  The others have been out for several years. The 31mm Nagler was introduced in 1999, the 35mm Panoptic in 1992.. These are probably the premier eyepieces at these focal lengths and do come up every so often.  

For entry level/affordable 2 inch eyepieces in the longer focal lengths, I think the 32mm and 38 mm Q70s are a better eyepiece than the GSO Superviews.  The Superviews lack a field stop and are not as sharp on-axis as the Q-70s.  The Svbony 34mm 72 degree is another eyepiece to consider.  I have one currently and I suspect it may actually be the 32mm 70 degree. 

Jon

• SteveG, CeleNoptic, RLK1 and 2 others like this

#6 JJershin

JJershin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:38 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions for my XT8I Dobsonion,  I was actually considering the 2"  Sbvony 34mm 70 degree before I started looking at others, since i've had pretty good luck with this budget brand below, and as Jon suggests it's still an option, but it's $95 on Amazon before taxes (I found it on Alibaba and ebay for less, but those are sketchy sites).

Jon, or anyone else who has experience with this, can you tell me how it compares with other 2" 32-38mm SWA eyepieces?

It's description says it's an Argon-Purged waterproof extreme wide field eyepiece, that is optimized to produce high contrast, high resolution, and superior flat field characteristic. 

Marketing speak? Perhaps....

But they have it in stock where as the Orion Q70, the GSO and other brands like the Agena are backordered, so I'd be looking at mid-Oct to early Nov before I'd have it in hand, and I'd rather not wait a month.

Thoughts?

#7 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:59 PM

It is the 32mm 70 AFOV. If it is cheaper with the SVBONY label go ahead and buy it.

Scott

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:23 PM

Jon, or anyone else who has experience with this, can you tell me how it compares with other 2" 32-38mm SWA eyepieces?

It's description says it's an Argon-Purged waterproof extreme wide field eyepiece, that is optimized to produce high contrast, high resolution, and superior flat field characteristic.

JJ:

I don't think my 34mm 72 degree Svbony is waterproof.  I bought it new, earlier this year.  I think I am a bit odd in some respects.  I am spoiled when it comes to 2 inch eyepieces, I have the various Televue's as well as the APM 30mm. They are very nice. 

But I also like to have some simpler eyepieces both for my use and as loaners.. So I had the 32mm 70 degree SWA but gave it to a friend.  So then I saw the telescope-warehouse.com had the 34mm 72 degree Svbony on sale for $65 shipped.  So I bought it.  Based on my memory, it's very possible the 32mm 70 degree and the 34mm 72 degree Svbony are the same eyepiece.  They have the same field stop.. 

The Svbony is as good a 2 inch Wide Field eyepiece as you will find for under $100...

If you were in San Diego, I say, "JJ, just come on over and you can use the 34mm Svbony for a month or two.. "

I also have a 30mm GSO Superview.. It's already out on loan.

Jon

• sevenofnine, f18dad and JJershin like this

#9 RLK1

RLK1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:26 PM

The APM has only been available for a year or two.  There are a limited number out there.  The others have been out for several years. The 31mm Nagler was introduced in 1999, the 35mm Panoptic in 1992.. These are probably the premier eyepieces at these focal lengths and do come up every so often.  

For entry level/affordable 2 inch eyepieces in the longer focal lengths, I think the 32mm and 38 mm Q70s are a better eyepiece than the GSO Superviews.  The Superviews lack a field stop and are not as sharp on-axis as the Q-70s.  The Svbony 34mm 72 degree is another eyepiece to consider.  I have one currently and I suspect it may actually be the 32mm 70 degree. 

Jon

I tried the Svbony 34 72 degree eyepiece, recently purchased new from a site on ebay for $39.00 including shipping and taxes, again last night in my 16" f4.5 dob in front of my light polluted home. (I see the price has gone up to nearly $80 on the same site). I viewed the veil and the crescent nebula before moonrise in conditions of good seeing and transparency with a lumicon 0111 filter and the view was quite pleasing, even without a paracorr in place. I have a generic 26mm 2" wide angle eyepiece sold under various names/vendors and I find it to be unusable without a paracorr in my scope. The Svbony model is far better than that. It's too bad the price keeps going up on it. I was going to try it again this evening but the smoke is back from the fires in the Sequoias with the latter being so bad at times that it reminds me of the coastal clouds rolling in on Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey. 

Anyhow, my initial impressions of this eyepiece are positive and I hope to try it again under dark sky condition if the fires are contained.

• Jon Isaacs and JJershin like this

#10 doug mc

doug mc

Viking 1

• Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:39 PM

Would a 2inch GSO ED barlow achieve what he wants?  It would help correct edge issues and can be used as a 1.5x as well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics