•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First go at processing (Ring Nebula)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bry73

bry73

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:40 PM

OK, I have been mostly just doing EAA but decided to go ahead and process my shots and see if can pull out more detail.

My Equipment is a Meade LX85 Mount, Sky Watcher Quattro 8" F4 Newtonian, Explore Scientific Coma Corrector, Canon 60D EOS,

ZWO 120C guide camera and a Astro-Tech 60mm guide scope. Where I live  is a Bortle 7 sky.

Ring Nebula from 163, 30 second frames, ISO800. Stacked using Deep Sky Stacker and then post processed using GIMP

Attached Thumbnails

• Ring Nebula 9_24_21.jpg

Edited by bry73, 25 September 2021 - 09:48 PM.

• DJL and Medic002 like this

#2 EPinNC

EPinNC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:09 AM

This is a great "first go" ! waytogo.gif   It's a fun target, and a bit challenging from Bortle 7 skies.  (I have similar conditions -- typical suburban environment street/porch lights and big shopping centers nearby).

I'm still a novice at this stuff, but I think you've got better data here than it appears.  163 x 30s should be plenty for bringing out the main features of M57.  I would suggest two things:

(1)  Check your focus.  Your stars seem just a little bit soft.  I have a 102mm Maksutov-Cassegrain, and mine look similar, but that's to be expected for a small scope with a relatively large central obstruction.  Maybe that's as good as you can get, I don't know.  Just seems like an 8" scope should do better than mine.

(2)  The main thing:  You should look for some feature in your software called "photometric color calibration."  You have a heavy blue-purple cast, and that's only because your histogram shows blues considerably brighter than reds and greens.  Here's GIMP's histogram of your image, using a logarithmic scale to spread the color curves out:

histogram-log-scale.jpg

I use Siril, and it has a feature for this calibration, wherein it compares your image with a standardized image on one of several different websites and adjusts your color curves accordingly:

pcc.png

I tend to use the "Simbad" online database, but probably others would work fine too.  I suspect Deep Sky Stacker has a similar feature.  I think once you fix that, you'll be happier with the image.

Looking forward to seeing more!  Thanks for sharing!

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#3 bry73

bry73

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 October 2021 - 12:17 AM

EPinNC, Thanks for the feed back, this is the type of information needed to help bring things to the next level.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics