•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO Electronic Auto Focuser with ASIair Pro

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 msamazing

msamazing

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:45 PM

Does anybody know of a YouTube video showing how to use the ZWO focuser with the ASIair Pro?  

Thank you in advance.

#2 Rob B1472

Rob B1472

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 September 2021 - 10:14 PM

What’s the issue? If you are close to focus hit AF on the focus menu on the left hand side and it will find the V curve and focus

#3 msamazing

msamazing

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2021 - 10:35 PM

What’s the issue? If you are close to focus hit AF on the focus menu on the left hand side and it will find the V curve and focus

There are many setting and I have never used an electronic focuser before.  Also, do I need the temperature sensor or does it figure out the focus based the picture it takes?

#4 Enance42

Enance42

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alton Il.

Posted 25 September 2021 - 11:09 PM

You don't need the temp sensor but in my opinion it is worth it. I have it and set to refocus after a certain temp change. As Rob said, on the left side of the screen, tap the focus icon. A menu will pop up with 2 arrows in the middle, fast or slow at the top and AF at the bottom. Tap the AF at the bottom and it will calculate the V curve.

#5 mannys

mannys

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 25 September 2021 - 11:29 PM

Does the EAF have a hard stop? If so, do you have to set the focus first on the scope before installing the EAF? This is assuming that by doing so, it allows the EAF to rotate an equal amount clockwise and counter-clockwise? If installed before focusing, could the EAF then run into the hard stop before the scope gets focused?

Edited by mannys, 25 September 2021 - 11:47 PM.

#6 insertnamehere

insertnamehere

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:41 AM

Does anybody know of a YouTube video showing how to use the ZWO focuser with the ASIair Pro?  

Thank you in advance.

It's not a video but this blog helped me.

https://eastwindastr...ith-asiair.html

Chris

• empiredown likes this

#7 empiredown

empiredown

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Liberty Hill, TX

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:00 AM

Does the EAF have a hard stop? If so, do you have to set the focus first on the scope before installing the EAF? This is assuming that by doing so, it allows the EAF to rotate an equal amount clockwise and counter-clockwise? If installed before focusing, could the EAF then run into the hard stop before the scope gets focused?

No, but most focusers sure do... You should set the scope near focus before installing the EAF. Once you do, you then manually input the range you don't want it to go past. It is pretty self explanatory. Good luck!

SS

• mannys likes this

#8 DJL

DJL

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 September 2021 - 07:18 PM

I first set mine up on a table and learned how it moves. I was surprised that I could not turn the focus knob on the telescope, but that is normal.

#9 Jarno

Jarno

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:45 PM

You do not need the temperature sensor. The EAF already has a temperature sensor built in, the external sensor only allows you to measure the temperature at a different location than the focuser, for example at the objective. As for installing, this is what I did (if I remember correctly): I moved the focuser all the way in an then tightened the EAF's connection to the focuser. Next I told the EAF in the software that this position was zero, and set the minimum allowable position to 50. I then moved the focuser all the way out using the EAF's software. BTW, don't worry about damaging anything, if the EAF senses too much resistance it'll beep twice and stop trying to move the focuser. Once the focuser was fully extended I set that position minus 50 as the maximum allowed position. And that's it, you've now defined the allowable range of motion.

The autofocusing itself is very simple. You first need to be somewhat close to focus so that's a bit of trial and error. Once you've done that you'll know it's around position (for example) 15000 and the next time you can just tell the EAF to go to that position. Next you set the exposure time for autofocusing, that's also a bit of trial and error but 2 or 3 seconds should work in most cases. You then start the autofocus procedure and the Asiair will begin taking pictures. For each picture it'll measure the diameter of a suitable star, move the focuser a bit, take another picture etc. The star diameter will be getting smaller as you approach perfect focus, eventually reach a minimum and then starts to increase again which results in the V-curve. Asiair then determines the minimum of that curve, moves the focuser to that position and then you're in focus.

Some more attention points: the temperature sensor in the EAF is not calibrated and the temperature it reports is not accurate. That doesn't matter though since it only needs to check if the temperature changes, I've set mine to refocus on each 2 degree change. You can also set it to refocus at set intervals or when the filter wheel changes to another filter.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask further questions if anything is unclear.

Jarno

• BinoGuy likes this

#10 DJL

DJL

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:57 PM

CN member Joey Troy has some ZWO EAF videos: https://www.youtube....royAstro/videos

#11 mannys

mannys

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 30 September 2021 - 04:55 PM

Funny, but the EAF app software I downloaded to my iPad does not show where I can set zero point. Why is that?

IMG-6869.JPG

Edited by mannys, 30 September 2021 - 07:55 PM.

#12 Jarno

Jarno

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 01 October 2021 - 09:37 AM

Funny, but the EAF app software I downloaded to my iPad does not show where I can set zero point. Why is that?

I'm currently travelling so I can't look it up for you. Maybe I'm mistaken and it's only available in the PC software. If all goes well I can check for you on Monday. 

Jarno 

#13 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 01 October 2021 - 11:55 AM

It's right there in your screenshot, where it says "Current Position", you can see the green "Edit" Icon. You can set the current position to zero, or any other number you want.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics