•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Complete fail. What happened here?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:39 AM

Maybe I should just give up. Took a while to catch up with Saturn, then to frame it which took a while. Then try to figure out settings all the while my new asi224 is either messed up because I keep getting glitchy shutter blind effects, freezing in the feed before and during capture. Thought it was at least recording the data stream. Well, guess it was. This is a screenshot after I pressed analyze in autostakkert...

Even used asi studio capture because firecapture seemed to choke worse. 

Should have just stayed in after work instead of trying to make use of the somewhat half decent sky.

No idea what the issue is, all I can guess is the laptop is just not up to the task or Linux just cannot handle the data stream.

I guess at least the visual peeks where decent

Attached Thumbnails

• garbage.jpg

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:48 AM

I would check USB cables, change ports or even change cables.
But first check (lower) USB bandwidth setting (don't know how where in Linux).

#3 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:13 AM

Thinking it's choking on the data stream. I did manage to get a couple somewhat usable files.

#4 Ittaku

Ittaku

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:28 AM

Nothing wrong with linux and firecapture, but you'll have to turn down USB speed (in FC) and capture with smaller ROIs and/or lower frame rates. You're maxing out your USB transfer capacity.

#5 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Aurora

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:46 AM

Nothing wrong with linux and firecapture, but you'll have to turn down USB speed (in FC) and capture with smaller ROIs and/or lower frame rates. You're maxing out your USB transfer capacity.

Agreed. There's an awful lot of black space around Saturn. Try to tune your ROI (and if possible, enable autoguiding) to not much more than the size of the planet. That way, much less data is transferred for every frame, allowing more frames per second and less (ideally none) of the effect you show, above.

Also note that effect may only apply to the first few frames. AutoStakkert has already sorted based on "edge quality" and nothing is going to come out with a higher quality number than something where Saturn is sheared like that.  In AutoStakkert, press the space bar to eliminate this frame, then advance to the next-sharpest and assess that, too.  You may have a handful of such frames, but once you're past those, the remainder will be usable.

#6 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:05 PM

When I get a chance to sit down and look at things, I'll put the little all sky lens on the asi224 and plug it into firecapture and see if I can find the USB traffic settings in it.

Also didn't know about that spacebar trick, guess I'll need to look more into as3.

I did notice trying to draw a box for roi in firecapture it stuttering and froze for a second. The laptop is pretty old so could also be an issue. Got a new laptop I've struggled with setting up because I don't know if I want to stick with Linux or go back to windows and worry about updates and drivers and such. Windows came on a small SSD on the laptop like 256gb which doing this solar system stuff would eat in short order.

#7 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:34 PM

It’s a common issue with high speed cameras. In AS!3 after you have done the analysis those frames show up all at the beginning of the frames. Just delete them from the stack using your space bar (the highlight around the frame info will switch from light green to red.) Delete all the frames that look like that and then analyze again. They will be gone from the new analysis.

#8 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2021 - 05:00 PM

Okay so found the USB traffic settings in firecapture after checking for an update (version is current). It was maxed at 100. Seems at least for deep sky stuff recommended a traffic setting of 40 so that's where I pulled the slider down to.

I also set the preview frame rate from max to 30fps, not sure if this was a good idea or now. It looks so far with the little all sky lens that came with the 225mc the preview window shows cleaner feed.

I do however see black vertical lines throughout the image at 50% viewing size. Might just be an artifact as it doesn't seem to show at 100 or 200% image is pretty much monochrome on the feed. Haven't checked other profiles.

Hopefully this done the trick. Now just need some sky time to test.

#9 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 October 2021 - 11:06 PM

Just finished another outing this time with the adjusted USB traffic settings to 40 and locked preview to 30 fps (not sure on this yet) and I did have some artifacts but didn't seem as bad as last outing. Also changed from full resolution to an roi of like 640x480. Not sure on results yet. Right now I'll be surprised if there is anything in focus.

#10 Ittaku

Ittaku

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 02 October 2021 - 11:22 PM

Even 30fps preview rate is high, or at the very least lower the preview frame rate during capture.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics