•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Well, at least it resembles the planet Saturn

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:11 AM

This was a challenge, hardly anything went right this evening. Couldn't get Saturn on the sensor, swapped between eyepiece and camera multiple times, spent at least a half hour trying to get things lined up so it'd show on the sensor to fine tune. Should have just stopped there and looked, would have made more progress. Finally managed to get an out of focus donut on firecapture where I could fine tune and focus which was also a challenge. Really difficult to focus. Then had glitches and freezes so switched to asi capture before swapping out the camera for my old standby the asi290mm mini.

I don't think my computer can handle the data stream because the flickering and glitches. Evidently it dropped frames. First few files I captured once I hit the analyze button the frame was ripped, almost looks like frame tearing (previous post). Could have been settings but I was lost trying to set exposure in ASI capture.

Already dejected I tried a couple other files and managed to salvage a couple of them. This has been drizzled 1.5x and sharpened from as3.

At least it was something. I don't know if my atmosphere is acceptable for the sct.

Other follies: I guess I didn't get the camera tightened in the 2.5x powermate as I went to remove it and it fell to my hand. Images with the powermate couldn't get into focus. Trying to look visually, I rotated the 1.25" diagonal and it came unscrewed and almost dumped my 3mm delite to the dirt.

Anyway, didn't spend a whole lot polishing this image, but it's Saturn and I finally got it this year after a couple failed attempts (that seemed my kind then tonight's attempt).

This is with the asi224 and zwo L filter and edge HD 8

Attached Thumbnails

• sadsaturn1.jpg

• Kenny V., eros312, Wildetelescope and 2 others like this

#2 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:16 AM

The trials and tribulations of imaging! That's a decent result.
  • wxcloud likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics