•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does anyone else feel like they’re done?

• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

#351 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 04 August 2022 - 09:58 AM

That is certainly a factor.. But in the shorter term, another telescope bought is more than likely just another telescope to find a new home for, an added burden.  

When I come back from a stay in the high desert, I have to unload the truck.. Dobs and chairs have homes but eyepiece cases, tools, refractors, binoculars, tripod pods and mounts, these all go back and forth. 

When I open the backdoor to haul the stuff into the Scope Room, it always looks so uncluttered and organized.   How nice that is.

Jon

Jon, when I got my ST120 a few weeks ago I promptly rehomed my old 6” ATM RFT. The F5 120mm refractor fills the same niche as the 150mm F4.5 reflector, plus it works well on an existing alt-az mount (TV Gibralter), so it provided the opportunity to let go of an unnecessary GEM along with substituting a telescope I’ll use a lot for one I used little. Sentimentality just no longer works for me as a reason for keeping something like that around. One comes in, one goes out!

• tony_spina, Jon Isaacs, steve t and 2 others like this

#352 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

• Loc: Nutmeg State

Posted 04 August 2022 - 01:11 PM

I  liked the old adage about     one scope comes in another goes out    

I wasn't always able to do that though

Sold my C-80  and delivered it to the buyer on my way past his exit  on the way to Stellafane

it was my second C-80    and I liked it     but with the Unitron 140 (1959) and the Selsi APL 247 (1964?) at my brother's house I am good on 3 inch non apo's

Today  I went one town over and picked up a Swift 831 and I am holding it for one of us here ,until he is able to pop up from East PA. for a hand off

The seller    is moving to Florida Saturday    and I am happy to baby sit this nice condition original kit for the buyer and help him avoid the vagaries, trials and tribulations or fibulations of shipping 

• steve t, Terra Nova, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#353 rjacks

rjacks

Vostok 1

• Loc: Athens, GA

Posted 04 August 2022 - 01:27 PM

You could do what I do - live in a 125 year-old house built in the horse and buggy era, so that you don't have a garage, and you have very little closet space, and it's hard to find anyplace to store more than three telescopes, so if you buy one, you gotta get rid of one.  

• steve t, Bomber Bob, Rick-T137 and 1 other like this

#354 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2022 - 01:34 PM

You could do what I do - live in a 125 year-old house built in the horse and buggy era, so that you don't have a garage, and you have very little closet space, and it's hard to find anyplace to store more than three telescopes, so if you buy one, you gotta get rid of one.  

My house is 95 years old (1927 bungalow) so lots of walk-in closet space and a full basement.

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#355 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 04 August 2022 - 09:44 PM

I haven’t bought a scope in a few years. Gave away two, sold one. Still have too many. Lot of parts and mirrors laying around too. Everything from a60mm Russian reflector to a a 6” F10 Jaegers to a C11 to a 14.5” honest 1/20 wave mirror. 8” Tinsley…. Oh and a 60mm Zeiss Traveler. 

• steve t likes this

#356 dnrmilspec

dnrmilspec

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 04 August 2022 - 10:28 PM

I am on a feeding frenzy.  I seem to be buying a ton of them.  Was at Starizona today and saw a used refractor that was, once upon a time,  a dream machine for me.  Today I have its place covered a couple deep but I am getting that feeling.  I have several scopes that represent just a couple of nights under the stars but they have found a home.

At the same time I feel like I need to cull the herd.  For example I have two super 6" Achromats.  I should let one go.  Someday.  And the 10" F4 Schmidt Newt?  Beautiful JMI case.  Great optics.  I use it...well...I used it this year once.  Can't let it go though.  Just as I was ready to list it the other day, one of the guys at Starizona said I ought to try it with the new camera....and...Ed Ting posted a review of the 8" and liked it, and Wendy likes it.... and...well it has that great case.....It is safe for the time being.  And he is right.   I should try it with the new camera.  Maybe get the 8" so I have a set.  I could at least sell the LXD-75 mount that came with it but I have a Mak resting on it that has been there for a few months and I hate stuff sitting on the floor.  And the mount has wheels under it and that is nice and....so it goes. 

But the original question is whether I have all that I need and am done.  The answer is that I have all that I need and I can't wait until my next one.  I guess I am an unrepentant gear-head. 

Edited by dnrmilspec, 04 August 2022 - 10:32 PM.

#357 m11

m11

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 05 August 2022 - 05:33 AM

I have to admit I enjoy finding scopes and learning about them and their history and giving the scopes more time under the stars.  I have met some of my friends through buying and selling some of my scopes. waytogo.gif Recent acquisitions is is Vixen custom 80mm, 6" Triplet and a 4" Unitron on Alt az mount. 

I love getting the chance to use the equipment and trying out things and getting the opportunity to view with such a variety of equipment and sharing this view with friends and family.

I love large aperture and I don't think I will truly be done in my lifetime. It would be only pauses in acquisition rather than no more acquiring more stuff. I have a number of things on order as I know alot of the artisans and craftsperson's maybe  will retire within the next 5-10 years.bawling.gif

• steve t, PawPaw and Bomber Bob like this

#358 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 05 August 2022 - 05:47 AM

I don't keep scopes i don't use for very long. Now the 12.5" Obsession has changed my thinking and i may let the 826 and  C102 go down the road. Once you see what a killer 12.5" mirror can do it's hard to go back to smaller optics on planets.

• Bomber Bob, CharLakeAstro and m11 like this

#359 m11

m11

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 August 2022 - 06:04 AM

I don't keep scopes i don't use for very long. Now the 12.5" Obsession has changed my thinking and i may let the 826 and  C102 go down the road. Once you see what a killer 12.5" mirror can do it's hard to go back to smaller optics on planets.

Thats  is what I am hoping for with a 12" f/6.3 mirror coming hopefully this year in a premium structure. bow.gif

• Compressorguy, rcwolpert and Bomber Bob like this

#360 CharLakeAstro

CharLakeAstro

Apollo

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:10 AM

Telescopes (in general) are easily bought, easily sold. But those rare telescopes are tough to find, and even tougher to part with. I admire those who are able to part with scopes they are endeared to, but don't use much.

The best respect we can have for a telescope is to use it as much as possible.

• steve t likes this

#361 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 05 August 2022 - 06:09 PM

Thats  is what I am hoping for with a 12" f/6.3 mirror coming hopefully this year in a premium structure. bow.gif

Mine does 700x no prob on Jupiter.  But i do have super good seeing in the AM. I would love F/6.3 even more.

• steve t, Bomber Bob and m11 like this

#362 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 06 August 2022 - 07:05 PM

I had a homemade 12.5” f/6.3 with a specialty selected mirror from Coulter Optical. It was the best scope I ever had. Wish I still had it.

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#363 m11

m11

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 August 2022 - 08:12 PM

I had a homemade 12.5” f/6.3 with a specialty selected mirror from Coulter Optical. It was the best scope I ever had. Wish I still had it.

It sounds like an amazing mirror that gave you great views and memories. waytogo.gif

Can I ask if you can get the scope back?

Edited by m11, 06 August 2022 - 08:31 PM.

• steve t and rcwolpert like this

#364 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 07 August 2022 - 10:40 AM

... when I got my ST120 a few weeks ago I promptly rehomed my old 6” ATM RFT ...

IF I ever get a chance to use it, I suspect my SE-120 will have the same effect -- Stubby (and His EQ mount) made redundant.  Even more so when I have the Jaegers 6 paired with the SE-120 on the same awesome AZ mount...

I could see...  gifting my Stubby Kit to the grand-kids, and getting a vintage Vixen R200SS OTA for the "D" Side of my SV-M7, if the J6 doesn't go deep enough on fuzzies.  I'd have the Meade 826 for high-power -- Mars in the Late Fall is reason enough to keep it!

Edited by Bomber Bob, 07 August 2022 - 10:52 AM.

• steve t, m11 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#365 michael1959

michael1959

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Ontario

Posted 07 August 2022 - 08:05 PM

This is a wonderful thread. Thanks, Terra.

In the past 12 months or so, I also came to the realization that I'm done with buying and trying new scopes and eyepieces. In my case it was partly related to a move into a new home. And to another country. Packing everything we owned made me realize I have more stuff (including telescopes) than I need or want. But I also think that age plays an important role here. Many of you have mentioned age as well. I am now 63. I was still buying scopes/equipment at a feverish pace when I was 61, but the move to a new home flipped a switch in my 62 year-old brain. I'm now in purge mode.

For those of you who believe that you are "done" (as Terra put it), how old where you when it happened? Did anything in particular trigger that recognition/realization? Age clearly plays a role, as we are more likely to have tried a greater variety of scopes and know what each type/size can offer. There is also less of a thrill gained by acquiring a new, shiny object. The reward system in the brain is triggered by different things as we age. Plus we simply become less physically capable of managing bigger scopes, so cumbersome scopes/mounts are often the first to go. This will obviously be different for each of us, and I'm curious if some people come to the realization of "done-ness" sooner. If so, why? Was there a trigger?

I've disposed of two refractors in the past month, plus three mounts/tripods, plus a few eyepieces and other gear. I have lots more to go. I still own 10 refractors. It won't be easy to part with some of them. But as others have stated, the less one focuses on the gear, the more time there is to focus on the sky. As a result, I feel better about my relation to the hobby. Less acquisitive. More thoughtful.

• BlueMoon, steve t, mdowns and 4 others like this

#366 luxo II

luxo II

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 08 August 2022 - 02:41 AM

Did anything in particular trigger that recognition/realization?

Yes… a combination of several realisations led me to pursue the best planetary scope I can safely manage as a portable rig, and it doesn’t disappoint. Finally have a decent mount for it, too.

Zero desire for anything else (SCT, dobs or refractors).

I have a smaller scope for outreach and weekends away with the family.

Edited by luxo II, 08 August 2022 - 04:03 AM.

• steve t likes this

#367 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Apollo

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 08 August 2022 - 08:59 AM

Shipping costs has been a major factor in keeping my classic collection numbers controlled except for the recent addition of a C90 and BBs Atlas 60mm f/15 OTA. Local finds are rare and years apart. My last major addition was the Sears 6336 (Thanks Barry!). It will remain as the crown jewel among my classics.

On the modern side my last one was a complete Orion ST120 kit that I picked up locally for less than half the original cost and with RA drive, hand controller and 9X50 finder included. This is my first ever short focus refractor. I find myself using it very often. A quick setup. I think this is a future classic. 

• steve t, deepwoods1, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#368 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 08 August 2022 - 06:10 PM

Shipping prices have put a complete stop to any scope buying that is not close by. So when something pops up close by

i jump if it hits my fancy. I also no longer ship anything.

Edited by CHASLX200, 09 August 2022 - 05:46 AM.

• steve t likes this

#369 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 08 August 2022 - 06:12 PM

This is a wonderful thread. Thanks, Terra.

In the past 12 months or so, I also came to the realization that I'm done with buying and trying new scopes and eyepieces. In my case it was partly related to a move into a new home. And to another country. Packing everything we owned made me realize I have more stuff (including telescopes) than I need or want. But I also think that age plays an important role here. Many of you have mentioned age as well. I am now 63. I was still buying scopes/equipment at a feverish pace when I was 61, but the move to a new home flipped a switch in my 62 year-old brain. I'm now in purge mode.

For those of you who believe that you are "done" (as Terra put it), how old where you when it happened? Did anything in particular trigger that recognition/realization? Age clearly plays a role, as we are more likely to have tried a greater variety of scopes and know what each type/size can offer. There is also less of a thrill gained by acquiring a new, shiny object. The reward system in the brain is triggered by different things as we age. Plus we simply become less physically capable of managing bigger scopes, so cumbersome scopes/mounts are often the first to go. This will obviously be different for each of us, and I'm curious if some people come to the realization of "done-ness" sooner. If so, why? Was there a trigger?

I've disposed of two refractors in the past month, plus three mounts/tripods, plus a few eyepieces and other gear. I have lots more to go. I still own 10 refractors. It won't be easy to part with some of them. But as others have stated, the less one focuses on the gear, the more time there is to focus on the sky. As a result, I feel better about my relation to the hobby. Less acquisitive. More thoughtful.

I have been done many times since the 1970's but always come back.  There will always be something i want. 

#370 michael1959

michael1959

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Ontario

Posted 08 August 2022 - 06:40 PM

I have been done many times since the 1970's but always come back.  There will always be something i want. 

I've been wondering about that. It's the reason I had said "believe that you are done." 

I don't think I've ever felt that I was *done* with buying before, even though I've taken some long breaks from the hobby. But it's entirely possible that my current feeling of done-ness is a false state of mind. Perhaps some other *trigger* will turn me onto some other piece of equipment or telescope. Does it count as done-ness if I sell 5 scopes, and buy 1? I don't think so. That's just culling the herd. Perhaps culling is one of the first steps toward done-ness.  

• steve t, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#371 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Vanguard

Posted 08 August 2022 - 07:13 PM

Hmm, well, I'm done buying 'scopes. I have what I want/need in that department. The Meg really does a fine job for the kind of observing I do. However ...

At 65, I finally capitulated and bought a fully "brain free" GOTO mount, an iOptron AZMP. Oh, I still have the Porta II and I still use it, (star-hopping keeps the gray matter in tune) but the AZMP is just, well, nice.

So, are we ever really done? I think not ... Clear skies.

Edited by BlueMoon, 08 August 2022 - 07:46 PM.

• steve t and rcwolpert like this

#372 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 09 August 2022 - 03:12 AM

I sold it two weeks ago Jim. It was very, very close to my Tak FC76 in views but the Tak was capable of wider fields and was more versatile and almost as transportable, and I had a lot less money tied up in it. It was a tough decision, but I feel like I made the right one for me.

I understand Sis, The weird thing was I have one if the 1st 90's tubes. It took 6 months pre paid! My Questar are a work of art, smooth as a baby's behind. I still have a very rare outer English leather cover that protects the Questar box! havent seen many but they were very close. Back to your story sorry... It is like saying which child you want to part with. I have a few a C+ a really good B&L 6000..

Don't laugh it kicked butt on my Celesctron C6,SCT.. Hace a foam fitted Field case portable Lat . 
I just can't part with them. I will say the Celestron C+/ B&L 600, and Meade ACF on the Audio Star and etx 125 ARE SPECIAL
Think Twice about what you sell! regrets are hard to erase!

• steve t, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#373 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:45 AM

It’s funny, and ironic, in a way typical of many of us here. When I started this thread about a year ago I stated I’m now at ten and have fully and confidently decided to get no more.”

Well, I’m currently at twelve and don’t plan to get any more! :lol:

• clamchip, steve t, deepwoods1 and 7 others like this

#374 mdowns  Happy Birthday!

mdowns

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 09 August 2022 - 10:00 AM

funnypost.gif

#375 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2022 - 11:32 AM

It’s funny, and ironic, in a way typical of many of us here. When I started this thread about a year ago I stated I’m now at ten and have fully and confidently decided to get no more.”

Well, I’m currently at twelve and don’t plan to get any more! lol.gif

In all fairness, one was an old friend who came home to stay. Who was I to deprive this old soldier of a soft bed and a warm meal. ;)

• steve t, deepwoods1, rcwolpert and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics