•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does anyone else feel like they’re done?

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#26 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:52 PM

Terra:

Nicely said.

In terms of the big stuff, I'm basically done. I'm not looking to add to my mounts or scopes but I'm still very much an active observer so there's always going to be this and that, a 2 inch Barlow or a filter.

And I'm still an inveterate bargain hunter so they'll still be occasional $50-$100 scope I can't resist...

Jon

• steve t, Terra Nova, kansas skies and 1 other like this

#27 kansas skies

kansas skies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The middle of nowhere, USA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:54 PM

I'm not actively looking for any more telescopes at the moment. Then again, I'm usually not (they just seem to find me). I am keeping my eye out for a good used 12mm Questar Brandon eyepiece, but I'm in no hurry and am sure one will eventually turn up that falls within my budget.

Fortunately for me, I really don't suffer from the "it has to be perfect" syndrome, and feel that my current lineup of scopes and accessories are capable of covering pretty much any situation I can dream up (and quite well, I might add). In my mind, they're all perfect. And, although I've sold scopes in the past due to financial reasons, I'm not in any situation at the moment that would require parting with of my current lineup. I do have a few that don't see as much use as they should, but they're not eating anything, so that's ok. The only two scopes I own that I might consider a little on the extravagant side would be my Questar and my 12" Meade SCT. Still, I got really good deals on both, so that's ok as well.

Like just about everyone here, I've played mental games thinking if I were to get rid of any, which would it be, and I really can't think of any that I would care to lose. Still, if pressed, it might be the Unitron or the C90 Astro. Then again, I'm sure I would miss them both if they were gone.

So, in answer to your question, unless something spectacular comes along, I'm probably done. Then again, I'm still drawing breath, so one never knows...

Bill

Edited by kansas skies, 26 September 2021 - 04:55 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, steve t, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#28 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 September 2021 - 05:24 PM

I'm not actively looking for any more telescopes at the moment. Then again, I'm usually not (they just seem to find me).

ubetcha.gif

Ain't that the truth..

As far as those mental games, "will I miss her when she's gone?" I'm quite pragmatic.. if a scope is not getting used, if it continually is passed over in that moment when I decide "which one will it be tonight", if on the rare occasion when do choose it, it's session is cut short and it's swapped for something else, then I can be confident it's time to find it a new home.

Jon

• markb, Astrojensen, steve t and 6 others like this

#29 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 26 September 2021 - 05:29 PM

I maybe done, but i will never really be really done for real. There are some scopes i need to add my i had list. Just gotta be local. I am looking for anything that pops up local if it hits my fancy. 3" Unitron is up near the top.

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#30 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 76645

Posted 26 September 2021 - 05:53 PM

I think maybe I maybe done kinda.
The Vixen fluorite 4 inch still has me a bit giddy.
  • Mr Magoo, steve t, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#31 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:19 PM

ubetcha.gif

Ain't that the truth..

As far as those mental games, "will I miss her when she's gone?" I'm quite pragmatic.. if a scope is not getting used, if it continually is passed over in that moment when I decide "which one will it be tonight", if on the rare occasion when do choose it, it's session is cut short and it's swapped for something else, then I can be confident it's time to find it a new home.

Jon

My motivation exactly. Thank you Jon. Well said.

• Jon Isaacs, steve t, GreyDay and 1 other like this

#32 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:42 PM

There is also the possibility of the 'Perfect Telescope' out there.

But really, does it need to be perfect? is it worth the trouble?

I like to think so.

I know what mine will be, a Astro Physics 6 inch f/12, I just know

it. The right place and the right time someday I will at least look

thru one to confirm my suspicions.

Right now the greenest pasture I've run across is my Edmund

5 inch F/15 on a Cave equatorial. I just love the scope. It moves

so nice, and the optics are fabulous, wonderful focuser, I could

go on and on about it.

I think a lot of that is because I built it myself !

Why, that's why it suits me so well, of course ! I wasn't thinking.

Robert

• steve t, mdowns, kansas skies and 3 others like this

#33 Bonco2

Bonco2

Viking 1

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:51 PM

I maybe done, but i will never really be really done for real. There are some scopes i need to add my i had list. Just gotta be local. I am looking for anything that pops up local if it hits my fancy. 3" Unitron is up near the top.

Haha Chas I got your dream  3 inch Unitron and it's only about 30 miles from you. But she's not going anywhere. The first lens was not a mush bucket but it wasn't great. The lens now is about as good as a 3 inch can get. Offer me an insane price and I might budge. Just kidding, I'm a keeping it.

Bill

• steve t likes this

#34 barbie

barbie

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:09 PM

After just over 50 years and MANY telescopes, high end and middle tier, I've settled on my little 1996 U.S. made Meade ETX90 o.t.a. This past summer under excellent sky conditions, it did just as well on the moon, planets, and brighter doubles as my Tak FC76 and was judged by many who looked through it and compared side by side to a Questar 3.5 as showing identical images of the moon and planets at high magnifications!! While it isn't the equal of a Q3.5 mechanically and doesn't look as pretty, I managed to score an ETX90 that is at least very close to a Q3.5 optically!! I am now done buying, trying and selling telescopes due to the extremely high cost of shipping and will just satisfy myself with quality over quantity. The ETX90 is now my only scope and I'm extremely pleased with its performance and portability!! I bought it here on the CN classifieds and consider it the best purchase I've ever made of a used instrument and all for just a song!!
  • Jon Isaacs, steve t, Terra Nova and 8 others like this

#35 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

• Loc: Nutmeg State

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:20 PM

Robert said

I know what mine will be, a Astro Physics 6 inch f/12, I just know

it. The right place and the right time someday I will at least look

thru one to confirm my suspicions

Next time you come east   you can come help me with mine.  Please. 

Right now   I have it  and  I know it is the dream scope  I just cannot get to it yet as my untimely fall from the ladder  and fractured lumbar spine have me sidelined. It did not fit in my car and I borrowed an SUV just to get it from New Jersey to the courthouse in Stamford......and now it is stuck there  locked up in a spare office.....

Attached Thumbnails

• APSTARFIREIMG_5379.jpg
  • APSTARFIRE4IMG_5383.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 26 September 2021 - 08:20 PM.

• photiost, clamchip, steve t and 9 others like this

#36 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:33 PM

Bravo Terra! Bravo! Hard choices are some of the most liberating choices we have.

I don't feel like I'm done, nor do I think it's a "classic telescope" issue alone. I just realize (getting over the
"60 hump" helped) I have a finite amount of time to spend doing ANYTHING. It's just simpler to make a choice from a smaller quantity of items (one in my case because I'm a simple kind of guy these days) and get out and do it with what you have.

I find it liberating to be free from years of "try and buy" ad finitum, ad nauseum. When you get to the ad nauseum part, ya gotta do something about it.

Clear skies.

• steve t, Terra Nova, kansas skies and 1 other like this

#37 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:33 PM

On topic..... I am not done   but I have learned much and learned to sell some to get one.  I sold several in February to get the FC-76   then I sold 9 scopes and 2 mounts in the last 7 weeks so far just to make the  Starfire dream happen. For later downsizing I said.  No regrets.

Still I could be set now. The old Tak FC 76 is superb. The C-102fl is as well. Add the Jaegers 4 inch F 15.5 for peanuts I could not resist last June. The NP 101 is special and is tops at what it does. Throw in the g and g C -80 and  the Selsi 247 and the 1959 near mint Unitron140  a couple of which I might have to sell to complete the financing of the Starfire F-12   But I want for nothing. So I could be done. But realistically  I sold 9 scopes... I miss the Mayflower and my awesome 1990 FC 100.

Maybe I am done    but may very well add a classic that pops up later to replace what I miss

Because after all       Sometimes a scope finds you

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 27 September 2021 - 06:55 AM.

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

#38 ayadai

ayadai

Viking 1

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:39 PM

For me, the gear is an end in and of itself, as well as a means to an end. When it comes down to it, I'm an inveterate gear head and enjoy collecting and continually tinkering with different kinds of machines, hence, my continuing interest in astronomical gear both vintage and new, as well as antique horology (which takes far less space and is a bit less expensive).

I'll always be limited by space (storage room, not the cosmos), budget, geography, and the above stated motivation, so I'll never have a stable as massive as Bomber Bob's or Piaget's, nor will I likely ever have a Televue, AP, Takahashi, etc... anything; I'd rather have 3 middling different scopes/mounts of different design to tinker with for a while than 1 great scope to just use now and forever.

So in answer to Terra Nova's original question, "Has anyone else reached their target?", I'd have to answer no, because the target will forever be a vanishing point.

Edited by ayadai, 26 September 2021 - 08:44 PM.

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#39 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:45 PM

Ayadie

tinkering      tinkering    has its place for sure   I need to do more of that

as Tim mentioned earlier  he wants to work on what he builds himself and will always be fascinated with optics   I feel that way about vintage stringed instruments

Augustus was giving away a 12 inch by 72 inch dob tube   I grabbed it and have slowly acquired a good 10 inch mirror and now a cell and secondary   I will slowly build it and learn as I do.....

tinkering with scopes and mounts  all good

• steve t likes this

#40 rob1986

rob1986

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:48 PM

On topic..... I am not done   but I have learned much and learned to sell some to get one.  I sold several in February to get the FC-76   then I sold 9 scopes and 2 mounts in the last 7 weeks so far just to make the  Starfire dream happen. For later downsizing I said.  No regrets.

Still I could be set now. The old Tak FC 76 is superb. FS-128 from Rolo is just awesome. The C-102fl is as well. Add the Jaegers 4 inch F 15.5 for peanuts I could not resist last June. The NP 101 is special and is tops at what it does. Throw in the g and g C -80 and  the Selsi 247 and the 1959 near mint Unitron140  a couple of which I might have to sell to compete the financing of the Starfire F-12   But I want for nothing. So I could be done. But realistically  I sold 9 scopes... I miss the Mayflower and my awesome 1990 FC 100.

Maybe I am done    but may very well add a classic that pops up later to replace what I miss

only one I'm sure i'd fall for is a meade 8800. I'd get it, but not to use with any frequency. I want my dad's but I'm sure someone some were dobbed it and is using the mizar for a refractor. But I'll settle for a different good example.

Sometimes you just can't forget your first love. I'll use something else (a little longer focal ratio please!), but somethings belong in the corner of the living room, or my study/office.

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#41 ayadai

ayadai

Viking 1

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:51 PM

Ayadie

tinkering      tinkering    has its place for sure   I need to do more of that

as Tim mentioned earlier  he wants to work on what he builds himself and will always be fascinated with optics   I feel that way about vintage stringed instruments

Augustus was giving away a 12 inch by 72 inch dob tube   I grabbed it and have slowly acquired a good 10 inch mirror and now a cell and secondary   I will slowly build it and learn as I do.....

tinkering with scopes and mounts  all good

I think that there is a big distinction between a tinkerer and a builder. I'm in awe of some of the infrastructure and abilities of those who build for themselves from scratch.

• Jon Isaacs, Sarkikos and Defenderslideguitar like this

#42 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:56 PM

I think that there is a big distinction between a tinkerer and a builder.

Nah. It's just the size of one's budget ... or the grants. $$$

#43 ayadai

ayadai

Viking 1

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:10 PM

Now, now. I've seen some amazing talent on display here in the Classics forum and throughout ATM, Optics and DIY.

• BlueMoon likes this

#44 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:22 PM

Now, now. I've seen some amazing talent on display here in the Classics forum and throughout ATM, Optics and DIY.

(Tongue firmly planted in cheek.)

• ayadai likes this

#45 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:32 PM

Heh-hee...a lot newer & far less invested in "classics" than many here but tbh I'm probably in some sort of stasis from not wanting to make decisions about other scopes we own as well as those "classics": age is a factor I'm sure & I do think that if I don't die with my boots on it would be nice to have a really fine little scope that I could peek out the nursing home window with (Pattie alongside in this fantasy wish!) so maybe the kids could cash in what they don't want to keep & spin the money on something for us then...

So - my next comment/question - what would members suggest for something really light & portable, but punchy with superb optics..? rofl2.gif

Edited by Kokatha man, 26 September 2021 - 09:32 PM.

• steve t, JamesMStephens and Defenderslideguitar like this

#46 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

Posted 26 September 2021 - 11:17 PM

To suggest just one answer to your question directly

in three inch size  vintage FC -76

or in four inch   the C-102fl

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

#47 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 27 September 2021 - 05:43 AM

Haha Chas I got your dream  3 inch Unitron and it's only about 30 miles from you. But she's not going anywhere. The first lens was not a mush bucket but it wasn't great. The lens now is about as good as a 3 inch can get. Offer me an insane price and I might budge. Just kidding, I'm a keeping it.

Bill

Albert has one for sale on AM but i can't get a hold of him and i wanna jump on it.

#48 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 27 September 2021 - 05:46 AM

Still I could be set now. The old Tak FC 76 is superb. FS-128 from Rolo is just awesome. The C-102fl is as well. Add the Jaegers 4 inch F 15.5 for peanuts I could not resist last June. The NP 101 is special and is tops at what it does. Throw in the g and g C -80 and  the Selsi 247 and the 1959 near mint Unitron140  a couple of which I might have to sell to complete the financing of the Starfire F-12   But I want for nothing. So I could be done. But realistically  I sold 9 scopes... I miss the Mayflower and my awesome 1990 FC 100.

Maybe i should offer you a buy out deal for all of it.  I am really wanting something, but nothing ever pops up close to me. I have the money and just waiting for something to come along. I won't ever really be done until i am dead. I may take breaks for a while.

Edited by CHASLX200, 27 September 2021 - 05:54 AM.

• Sarkikos and Defenderslideguitar like this

#49 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Vanguard

• Loc: 56N 12E, Denmark

Posted 27 September 2021 - 07:05 AM

The approach I have taken through the past decades has been to thoroughly research what was tested and recommended by persons who I considered authorities on observational amateur astronomy, then dig deep into my pocket and buy the best telescope I could manage and afford. No need for further comparisons or tests.

The technology of telescope making has of course evolved through the years, so in my childhood in the 60’ies, the top of the pop was a 3” Unitron, coming back to astronomy in the 90’ies it was first a Zeiss AS80, but to get even better CA control, I bought a Vixen FL-80S and later a FL-102S. I’ve also briefly has a Zeiss Meniscas, but that turned out to be too heavy for my grab/go use (and the cool down time required…! 🙁).

When I bought a new telescope, I always sold the old one that it was to replace, so at any one point in time, I have really only had ONE workhorse telescope, that I primarily used for my astronomy observation projects, — and in a sense, that one telescope has always been “the best” available to me.

I did go through a phase of buying old used telescopes, which I restored, completed and passed on to fellow astronomers who could use them. This was fun for a couple of years, but in the end, selling, securely packing up and posting these scopes was not rewarding. Buying a scope these days is easy, just a click on the computer, whereas selling a scope takes much more effort and time.

My current workhorse telescope is a Zeiss 100/640 APQ, and I see no other telescope being able to replace this one for the kind of observing I prefer. It works  great as a RFT (it is its own finder, with just a Z-Bolt laser pointer), and with a FFC barlow it is splendid on the solar system too. Very capable, light and easy to setup on my fixed pier in the backyard, and fast to cool down.

In my telescope backlog I still have a Uni114, Zeiss Telemator and Vixen FL-80S. And some boxes of mounts, finders, rings & things; All this need to go, —mabe pass on to a grandchild, and the rest to be sold.

But all-in-all, yes, I am where I want to be, equipment wise 😄

— Allan

Edited by AllanDystrup, 27 September 2021 - 07:13 AM.

• steve t, Terra Nova, mikeDnight and 1 other like this

#50 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 27 September 2021 - 07:09 AM

It's more than just money. Building requires skills many of us don't have. 

Jon

• Sarkikos, steve t and Terra Nova like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics