•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does anyone else feel like they’re done?

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#51 Rick-T137

Rick-T137

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 27 September 2021 - 07:13 AM

Has anyone else reached their target?

Hi Terra,

I've been on a minimalist/simplification jag for about 6 years now. I used to have quite a few telescopes (somewhere around 10-12) and lots of eyepieces and other accessories. Over time, I found I only used a few scopes most of the time. For me, it was a bit different because I wasn't collecting classics on purpose (although some of my scopes certainly were classics!) - I just loved buying scopes and playing with them.

However, it wasn't just scopes. It was bicycles, books, guitars, computers, other electronics, etc. I've got a decently sized house (3000 sq ft) and it was packed to the rafters with stuff. So, I started to "declutter". It is very true... eventually the stuff you own winds up owning you.

So I made a decision 6 years ago that I'm still happy with today: just like the Sith in Star Wars, for my telescopes there will only be two. A master and an apprentice (in other words, a "big" scope and a "grab and go" scope). So I have an 8" SCT as my main scope and a small 70mm refractor as my travel scope. Other scopes have been given away to friends and family for their enjoyment.

Same with eyepieces - I think I had well over 100 eyepieces at one time (which I realize still isn't considered a lot in the CN community!) but I now only have six in my eyepiece case. I do have a couple more in a closet (some Meade MA's that I just can't bring myself to part with) but all the rest of my eyepieces have been given away to bless someone else's eyeballs.

After all the dust settled, and I wound up with just a couple of scopes, one mountain bike, one guitar, one laptop computer, one Kobo to read all my books on... my part of the house is much more open. And my wife is seeing the benefits and is now letting some of her stuff go too. 

Feng shui of one's life perhaps?

Clear skies!

Rick

• Vesper818, steve t, Mikoka and 5 others like this

#52 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 27 September 2021 - 07:21 AM

There is also the possibility of the 'Perfect Telescope' out there.

But really, does it need to be perfect? is it worth the trouble?

I like to think so.

I know what mine will be, a Astro Physics 6 inch f/12, I just know

it. The right place and the right time someday I will at least look

thru one to confirm my suspicions.

Right now the greenest pasture I've run across is my Edmund

5 inch F/15 on a Cave equatorial. I just love the scope. It moves

so nice, and the optics are fabulous, wonderful focuser, I could

go on and on about it.

I think a lot of that is because I built it myself !

Why, that's why it suits me so well, of course ! I wasn't thinking.

Robert

Robert:

In my world, there are perfect telescopes in the sense that they are a perfect fit for the task at hand. 

But for me, telescopes are tools to observe the universe (the earth is part of the universe) so just as the "perfect" hammer doesn't exist because the perfect hammer is task specific, the perfect telescope does not exist.  I have a number of hammers in my work shop, some are best suited for assembling tiny little pieces and some are best suited for pounding steel stakes or breaking up concrete.  

In my mind, I think of a range of telescopes that cover the full range of my observing interests and priorities. My current set covers my needs in a way no one telescope ever could. 

Jon

• Steve_M_M, Sarkikos, clamchip and 6 others like this

#53 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 07:36 AM

I'm close to done. I think I could be tempted to replace the Pentax 85 with a Pentax 100ED. It's only slightly longer than the 85 (the tubes are the same diameter) and the mount is driven. At that point, the Edmund 4 would go. Right now, it serves the purpose of providing a second refractor for school observing nights, and the Pentax goes along as a third when there is a bigger class. But with only smaller classes rising, a 100ED could replace both. 

Sometimes I toy with the idea of replacing the C14 with a C14HD, because I think the aperture should be able to deliver more. But SCTs are so variable in quality that there's a good chance it wouldn't gain anything. 

Chip W. 

• steve t, Terra Nova, Bonco2 and 3 others like this

#54 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 September 2021 - 07:59 AM

"Nah. It's just the size of one's budget ... or the grants. $$$"

It's more than just money. Building requires skills many of us don't have.

I think I should have put <sarcasm> tags around it Jon. ;)

Tinkering, building, inventing, even conceptualizing ... same destination, different paths. waytogo.gif

• Star.Monger likes this

#55 GEC

GEC

Vostok 1

Posted 27 September 2021 - 09:55 AM

4 maks. 1 Schmidt Cass. 1 Schmidt newt. 3 newtonians. 90mm to 17.5 inches. Goto equatorials. Goto alt az. Dobs. Never a 80 or 100 mm frac. Once I get one I will be satisfied with what I have. Won't I?
  • steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#56 steve t

steve t

Apollo

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:58 AM

I agree, I'm finished and in the simplification/down sizing mode.

Most important has become light weight and ease of set up. My little 1973, ATM 4", Newtonian with a small set of eyepieces checks that box nicely.

About the only thing I would consider buying would be a nice pair of 10X50 binoculars, since some nights I enjoy just sitting on the garden bench and doing naked eye observing.

Attached Thumbnails

• tele4.JPG

• Mr Magoo, Vesper818, BlueMoon and 11 others like this

#57 Piaget

Piaget

Viking 1

• Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 27 September 2021 - 12:12 PM

I have found this to be a very profound & revealing thread. I have given away a large number of classic scopes lately & was very rewarded by the joy I received from the simple act of giving. My compulsion to buy has ebbed with age. I was not using at least 50% of the scopes I had. I now use all my scopes & am down to 7 classics. My 10VR is my most used , so portable & puts up stunning views & I use my celestron 102mm next in popularity. All the members who posted to this thread helped me understand my motivations more clearly & control them , my spending on scopes was getting out of hand , so many heartfelt thanks to all. This forum rules ... waytogo.gif a grateful Piaget ( JOHN W.)

Edited by Piaget, 27 September 2021 - 12:24 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, steve t, Mikoka and 4 others like this

#58 bjkaras

bjkaras

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Back and forth between Santa Clara, CA and Las Vegas, NV

Posted 27 September 2021 - 12:22 PM

For years I thought I was done when I had two scopes, a 10” f/5 newt and a 6” f/12 refractor. I thought that covered everything, and I guess it could. To get the most out of the refractor I have to shell out big bucks to mount it decently. I might still do that next year, but in the meantime I recently picked up a restored 6” f/8 newt. So never say you’re done. You never know when the next essential scope will come along. 

• steve t, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#59 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 27 September 2021 - 02:58 PM

I'll only buy something if it's a great deal and/or only if it's something rare or interesting. For practical use I have way too many 60mm scopes and I'll eventuallly sell many of them. But for now I enjoy owning, tinkering, and using them.... even if some don't get used very often. All told, I'm basically happy with what I have, and I don't think I'm quite old enough to be done yet. At least I don't think so....

...they say, life is what happens when your busy making other plans, and that doesn't rule out illness or even death shocked.gif. I had a bit of a wake up call this last year, but I hope I'm good for another 5-10 years before I have to give up on my life style... and dreams.

My wife occasionally says, if you go first, what is she going to do with all my stuff? (and telescopes ain't half of it) I say, in the worse case, give the good stuff away, and trash the other junk.

• steve t, Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#60 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 27 September 2021 - 06:14 PM

I feel my 10th wind coming back and i wanna buy it all again.  Lucky nothing ever pops up close by or i would be broke and living on the streets with my scopes.  After my big sell off 2 years ago and the loss of my sister i was just so close to giving up and ending it all.  I had a lot more on my mind dealing with her and her being sick for many years.  Now with no fam left at all i feel all stress is gone and i am free and have a clear mind again.  I kinda acted out on here as well in not such a good way. 

Now it is just me and i am free to buy whatever.

• EverlastingSky, Sarkikos, steve t and 7 others like this

#61 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 27 September 2021 - 06:16 PM

I'm close to done. I think I could be tempted to replace the Pentax 85 with a Pentax 100ED. It's only slightly longer than the 85 (the tubes are the same diameter) and the mount is driven. At that point, the Edmund 4 would go. Right now, it serves the purpose of providing a second refractor for school observing nights, and the Pentax goes along as a third when there is a bigger class. But with only smaller classes rising, a 100ED could replace both. 

Sometimes I toy with the idea of replacing the C14 with a C14HD, because I think the aperture should be able to deliver more. But SCTs are so variable in quality that there's a good chance it wouldn't gain anything. 

Chip W. 

I would die for a freaky sharp fork mounted C14.  I know one is out there, but you for sure would need to test it out first.

• gnabgib likes this

#62 grif 678

grif 678

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NC

Posted 27 September 2021 - 06:18 PM

I think I am through also, mainly due to age and the way the economy is now. Things are so high, shipping is so much. I wish I had all the money that I spent on scopes over the years. But it is hard to learn in this hobby as to what you need or want. Like me, I bought a scope, sold it, and bought another just like it, and sold that one, and then bought a third. You feel like you want it, then you do not use it much, and decide to sell, and do it again. As a matter of fact, if I can find another one in good shape, I may buy it for the fourth time, to keep this time.

• steve t, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#63 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 September 2021 - 06:48 PM

My little 1973, ATM 4", Newtonian with a small set of eyepieces checks that box nicely.

Steve, that is a sweet setup right there. waytogo.gif

• steve t and Rick-T137 like this

#64 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

• Loc: Nutmeg State

Posted 27 September 2021 - 07:39 PM

This thread is an eye opener in some ways    it is like  just checking in to see what condition your condition is in......

age seems a factor for some   that is  totally understandable.    some folks are pushing 70  plus       but as long as folks can still enjoy everything from naked eyes to binoculars to grab and goes to bigger and what they can handle at times it is all good   and having just been injured  I wonder about simplifying somewhat.  the smaller three inch scopes have their place ......

..... but   I am only 64   so I am still not ready to do the big downsize. When we do downsize the house   we will hopefully have a better spot with less neighbor trees  and more land. I will be getting an observatory then. I felt like I needed to strike when the dream scope popped up so I did. No regrets. To have an observatory with a big scope set up   will be so cool.  I do like different scopes that fill different needs and do different things...       

even if you are done   content   etc       Keep on Keeping on

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 27 September 2021 - 07:41 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, EverlastingSky, BlueMoon and 5 others like this

#65 StarAlert

StarAlert

Vanguard

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 27 September 2021 - 07:41 PM

I think I am through also, mainly due to age and the way the economy is now. Things are so high, shipping is so much. I wish I had all the money that I spent on scopes over the years. But it is hard to learn in this hobby as to what you need or want. Like me, I bought a scope, sold it, and bought another just like it, and sold that one, and then bought a third. You feel like you want it, then you do not use it much, and decide to sell, and do it again. As a matter of fact, if I can find another one in good shape, I may buy it for the fourth time, to keep this time.

Over the past three years that I’ve been buying and trying telescopes and eyepieces. I don’t think I’m out more than a thousand bucks. I almost always bought good used equipment at good prices oftentimes sold it for a bit more than what I paid for it. So for me, being out a grand over three years seems like a bargain given the enjoyment I got. People spend way more on cable TV and gardeners than what I’ve spent on trying out Astro gear. 

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#66 StarAlert

StarAlert

Vanguard

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 27 September 2021 - 07:44 PM

This thread is an eye opener in some ways    it is like  just checking in to see what condition your condition is in......

age seems a factor for some   that is  totally understandable.    some folks are pushing 70  plus       but as long as folks can still enjoy everything from naked eyes to binoculars to grab and goes to bigger and what they can handle at times it is all good   and having just been injured  I wonder about simplifying somewhat.  the smaller three inch scopes have their place ......

..... but   I am only 64   so I am still not ready to do the big downsize. When we do downsize the house   we will hopefully have a better spot with less neighbor trees  and more land. I will be getting an observatory then. I felt like I needed to strike when the dream scope popped up so I did. No regrets. To have an observatory with a big scope set up   will be so cool.  I do like different scopes that fill different needs and do different things...       

Congratulations. What dream scope did you get? 

#67 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 27 September 2021 - 07:48 PM

Over the past three years that I’ve been buying and trying telescopes and eyepieces. I don’t think I’m out more than a thousand bucks. I almost always bought good used equipment at good prices oftentimes sold it for a bit more than what I paid for it. So for me, being out a grand over three years seems like a bargain given the enjoyment I got. People spend way more on cable TV and gardeners than what I’ve spent on trying out Astro gear. 

Bet ya i am at 350k or around there since 1976 and over 260 scopes later. Many of the same thing i have bought over and over. I am 58 and fee better than i did when i was 28.

• EverlastingSky, Sarkikos, steve t and 3 others like this

#68 kansas skies

kansas skies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The middle of nowhere, USA

Posted 27 September 2021 - 08:05 PM

"I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in"...

I think this occurs shortly after realizing there's no room left for that latest perfect classic dream-scope.

Bill

#69 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 08:59 PM

I would die for a freaky sharp fork mounted C14.  I know one is out there, but you for sure would need to test it out first.

There was a thread over on the Cats and Casses forum about someone who put a C14 HD on an optical bench with a Zygo interferometer, and tweaked it to get to something like 0.97 Strehl. Before it was adjusted, it was considerably less. It took him a while (I seem to recall that he only had use of the Zygo for a limited time). His conclusion was that the optics are done well, but the assembly is hit-or-miss. It wasn't just collimation. There was rotation of elements, centering, and maybe some shimming involved. So, if you know someone with a Zygo, you could go that route.

Chip W.  

• markb, steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#70 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

• Loc: Nutmeg State

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:09 PM

Congratulations. What dream scope did you get? 

StarAlert

the AP 6 inch  f 12 Starfire 1991

pics in post 35

• steve t, Rick-T137 and StarAlert like this

#71 Echolight

Echolight

Skylab

• Loc: Texas

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:49 PM

Has anyone else reached their target?

My target seems very well hidden from me. And when I do see it, it is a moving target.

I’ve only been an this a year and a half, and have managed to “collect” eleven telescopes. And I had only intended to have three. So I guess in a sense, I have reached my target three and two thirds times. Refractors, a C8, little Maks, and most recently an 8 inch dob. And I will be picking up a couple of newts in a week or two. But a couple or three of these scopes were bought with the intention of giving them away.

One thing I think I have learned, is that I really don’t want any mount/tripod combination that weighs more than the AVX. I barely use this mount and it is partially because of the weight and partially because I’d rather just set something out and start scanning the sky.
But I think that eventually I will use a GoTo mount to find more elusive objects in my not so dark backyard. Maybe with the help of EAA... or not.

And if I had to guess which single scope out of the eleven that I will likely never part with, it’d be the first of my three ST80’s.... all bought used. 

In fact, all of my scopes were bought used. Except the yard cannon. And I didn’t really buy it. It was donated by my friendly freight company that misplaced it for a month or so and then one day left a battered box out front with a slightly dented scope in it. But the scope is so big that it’s hardly noticeable. This has kept me a little sane about my spending money on them. None of the scopes cost much. And my eggs are in many baskets.

Over the course of this time of excess acquisition, which included three 90mm Maks and five 80mm refractors, I have learned that I really like having a mounted scope that weighs less than 10 pounds. But I think something with more aperture in the 15 to 25 pound range would be light enough and be far more enjoyable to use. This is maybe my biggest end goal that I have yet to reach. A small in form but bigger in aperture grab and go scope. The biggest little scope. I think.... that this will either be a C5 or C6. But I’m afraid I may have to buy both before I know which one it is.

Next, I’d like a richest field scope. But I have no idea what it would be. The most stars in an eyepiece. Possibly 4 inch f5, 5 inch f5, or 6 inch f5 achro? Maybe a 6 or 8 inch f4 newt?

My three bigger scopes are mostly easy. Except the C8, which up to this point I’ve only been able to mount on the AVX. But I will remedy that very soon with a different rail and a .63 reducer. The C6R on the Unistar and the XT8 are very easy for their size. And I think the C8 will also be when all’s said and done. Still not sure which one I like best.

I like to believe I’ll have a bigger scope than my BIG three some day. But I don’t know if I ever will. Possibly a 10 inch dob. Maybe a 10 inch f4 newt on a homemade dob base. Maybe a 12 inch f4.

I like the idea of building some dob bases for big and little newts. I got a bunch of old records and a bunch of rattle can paint.

But yeah, I’ll be cutting back a half dozen or so in the coming weeks. 

• Sarkikos, steve t, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#72 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 28 September 2021 - 06:48 AM

While observing has always been awe inspiring and great fun, for me it's always been accompanied by the learning experience about the myriad of ways to accomplish that and the people that have devised them.  I've never been an ATM and have little interest in that aspect of the hobby.  Over the years I have gathered collections of scopes and experienced them (sometimes multiple at one time) and then move on.  Always something new.  Certainly have made plans for down the road, but I am always on the lookout for the next telescope.  Lots to move along yet and keeper list seems to stagnate on occasion, but I think each new acquisition presents a unique experience to me.

If you've reached the end, then you're closing the door on something new to try or something new to see in a different way.  Sounds more to me that it's time to buy something new associated with a new observing goal and gain new appreciation/perspective on our heavenly adventure.

#73 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:22 AM

While observing has always been awe inspiring and great fun, for me it's always been accompanied by the learning experience about the myriad of ways to accomplish that and the people that have devised them.  I've never been an ATM and have little interest in that aspect of the hobby.  Over the years I have gathered collections of scopes and experienced them (sometimes multiple at one time) and then move on.  Always something new.  Certainly have made plans for down the road, but I am always on the lookout for the next telescope.  Lots to move along yet and keeper list seems to stagnate on occasion, but I think each new acquisition presents a unique experience to me.

If you've reached the end, then you're closing the door on something new to try or something new to see in a different way.  Sounds more to me that it's time to buy something new associated with a new observing goal and gain new appreciation/perspective on our heavenly adventure.

I feel no stagnation here. I’m still an avid observer, I just decided to enjoy what I have and end the quest. I have a nice range of scopes that are perfectly suited for my observing interests, locations, and physical abilities. I no longer worry about stuff accumulating that someone else will have to get rid of, or loosing money needlessly. I’ve gone through a lot of scopes over the years to determine what I really like and what works for me.

• Sarkikos, steve t, Mikoka and 6 others like this

#74 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:52 AM

Good Points.  I just turned 60, and my vision is still excellent.  Still holding on to the Tinsley, as there is an off-chance for a roll-off roof observatory, and its EQ would be perfect for a 10" / 12" Cass.  For my observing, it doesn't have to be out in the country (Debbie is a City Girl).  We just have to be settled.  And since you never know, now ain't the time to give up...

• steve t and rcwolpert like this

#75 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:54 AM

Actually, in practice, what prevents me from selling telescopes and mounts is the difficulty in finding secure packing to fit them, and the cost of shipping them.  By comparison, eyepieces and other accessories are very easy to sell.

Eventually, I might offer some telescopes and mounts for sale cheap or give them away.  The prerequisite is that the buyer - or taker - must come and get them. 

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 28 September 2021 - 07:56 AM.

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics