•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does anyone else feel like they’re done?

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#1 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:31 PM

Well friends, after having been through way too many telescopes to even count (I realized a while back that I had hopeless lost track of all the ones that have come and gone over the years), as you may know, I recently completed the last of my effort to thin them down. I’m now at ten and have fully and confidently decided to get no more. I’ve also steadily whittled away at my mounts and now have a single GEM and only a handful of alt-az mounts. I’m also pretty much done going through eyepieces and accessories and am down to the keepers there as well. I feel like what I have left is of manageable numbers to will stay with me. It’s all stuff that I use and that is a big criterion in guiding my effort. I also feel like I’m happy with what’s left and am done with the whole buy-and-try thing. I know what I like and what works and does not work for me. Keeping that in mind, I really don’t see any point in buying anything else, other than in the unforeseen event of having to replace something lost or broken. I know that others of you have stated being on a similar journey or are realizing the need to downsize in the near future. Has anyone else reached their target? And that extra disposable income is always nice!

• Jon Isaacs, droid, stevenk and 31 others like this

#2 Stellar1

Stellar1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:45 PM

Yes! when I think back at all the $$ I blew trying to find the “perfect” scope only to realize that it doesn’t exist, I have decided to stop that nasty habbit!. Ed Ting could not have put it better in his latest video “you end up spending a lot of money only to realize you didn’t have to spend a lot of money” this statement made me sick to my stomach how true it is of me. Now I have a 4” refractor and all I want is an 8” dob, I am shell shocked when it comes to purchasing that dob, too many memories of scopes bought and sold, money wasted, that even though I know what I want and why, I’m still weary.

• BlueMoon, steve t, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#3 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:53 PM

I wish I could but for me it's impossible.

I change my mind too often. one minute it's double stars with a 60mm, the next

I'm in deep space with a big woody newt. 

I'm locked up, I can't sell anything for fear I'll miss it too much. I've made that mistake

before and I feel sick, sorry Bluey, sorry D&G, miss you C14, I miss all of thembawling.gif

And for buying telescopes I've just barely scratched the surface. 400 years of telescopes

out there and I've hardly made a dent. I've got to know, a 6 inch Clark, a Tinsley cass, a

Astro Physics 6 inch f/12, 6 inch Goto, you really need to own a telescope to really know.

So this is the way the ball bounces for Robert, I've made my bed now I must sleep in it.

(I wouldn't trade it for anything)cool.gif

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 26 September 2021 - 01:55 PM.

• Mr Magoo, BarabinoSr, Adam S and 13 others like this

#4 Mcloud

Mcloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh aka Gotham Cloud City

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:54 PM

Yes. Regret letting go of most of my gear so now I do my homework to make sure everything fits in the long term. No more selling or trading for this kid. Information age allows for smart purchase and working into your program common sense. That said if you're the type of person who enjoys this more power to you. It's a pretty big hobby lots of room for everyone.
  • steve t, Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5 rob1986

rob1986

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:55 PM

a big and fast

a small and medium F ratio

and them something medium and very slow.

That's a happy life.

• steve t, Terra Nova and Wlachenmeyer like this

#6 tim53

tim53

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:08 PM

Yes, but done for me is different than it is for you, probably.  I'm trying to ween myself form store-bought classics and concentrate on my own builds.  I find optics to be a fascinating area to explore, and hope to have time to do more while I'm still able to sit up and take nourishment.

I' missing the Swap and Shop forums, because we aren't supposed to talk about our own CN ads...  step.gif

-Tim.

• gnabgib, Mr Magoo, steve t and 9 others like this

#7 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:20 PM

Not yet. Not by a long shot, I'm afraid. I've just set my goals much higher. Quality over quantity. That also means what I'm looking for is now exponentially more expensive, harder to find, and take that much longer to save up to. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• Daniel Mounsey, tim53, markb and 9 others like this

#8 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Apollo

• Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:23 PM

What about your Questar, Terra?

• Terra Nova likes this

#9 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:24 PM

I am done again. Gonna sell the 10" RG for $400 and already sold the 18" Dob. I am done buying scopes out of state unless someone is coming to FL. Shipping prices have done it for me.

But if someone has a freaky sharp fork mounted C14 or a Sharp Meade 7" ED i am in as i got cheated out of my C14 and 7" ED since they were so bad. I have gone cold before a few times over the years and sell it all.

Now i gots the money to buy anything i want but local deals on real scopes just don't happen anywhere near me in FL but maybe one out of a million times.

• steve t likes this

#10 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:27 PM

It's gone and i was thinking of jumping on it.

• Piaget likes this

#11 markb

markb

Vanguard

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:32 PM

Yes!

I got to this point on scopes last year, binos last week, one still in the mail.

Bought a wide variety, found what I liked (5-6" f5 Jaegers refractors, GPS11 + Alan Gee TC, C8 g&g (will try a C6). When my move west was imminent, I sold the rest.

I just did the same on binoculars, keeping a handful (RangeMasters, Nikon x35 porros, various Hensoldt AK sizes, Zeiss modernized AK x30 and x56, 12x36 Canon IS).  selling 20 or so. I 'shopped' the CN binocular forum and then hunted each down. All great, just not what floated my boat.

APM 100s and WWII flaks fit both keep lists.

Alt az and Nexstar.

I still want a Chromocor. But someone will need to do a modern 'crazy glass' version I guess.

Buy and try (and re-sell) damages the wallet short term, but cures buyers remorse.

Edited by markb, 26 September 2021 - 05:11 PM.

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

#12 rob1986

rob1986

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:33 PM

I am done again. Gonna sell the 10" RG for $400 and already sold the 18" Dob. I am done buying scopes out of state unless someone is coming to FL. Shipping prices have done it for me.

But if someone has a freaky sharp fork mounted C14 or a Sharp Meade 7" ED i am in as i got cheated out of my C14 and 7" ED since they were so bad. I have gone cold before a few times over the years and sell it all.

Now i gots the money to buy anything i want but local deals on real scopes just don't happen anywhere near me in FL but maybe one out of a million times.

what about an 826?

• Bomber Bob likes this

#13 lunardave

lunardave

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont Soup North Carolina

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:46 PM

The Rabbit Hole of Amateur Astronomy! 

At least I still have the C5+ complete. Even the original "SMA" 25mm eyepiece.

• Astrosetz, steve t and Echolight like this

#14 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:46 PM

what about an 826?

Uh...  I got CHAS's 826 -- won't be parting with it as long as I can set it up...

Packing up my Sears 6336 marks the End Of An Era for me.  But, I don't wanna wind up with 6 small fracs + my Questar.  So lucky that the Meade 826 & Mizar Comet are refractor-like Newts that'll stave off that much smaller & limited future collection....

So, no... Ole BB ain't There, yet.  But getting closer.  Not interested in any more CATs or Casses.  But I do like testing some of the new-to-me accessories & such.

Terra:  When I read the Thread Title, I thought, Terra's DONE with CN?  Done with the Hobby??

Edited by Bomber Bob, 26 September 2021 - 03:13 PM.

• steve t, kansas skies, JamesMStephens and 1 other like this

#15 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:47 PM

what about an 826?

I sold one a while back. I would love the OTA back and use it on my broken RG mount.  The 826 mount was very bad.  Bomber Boib has my 826 now. If anyone has a 8" 826 OTA with rings then i will take it.

• steve t, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#16 Xeroid

Xeroid

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:51 PM

In a way I'm almost glad there was/has been a shortage of most astro equipment as that forced me to use what I have and not get any more "stuff".

So as a result, I'm very happy with what I have, everything works to my expectations and I wish all those guys with that $10K scope all the best...

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

#17 StarAlert

StarAlert

Vanguard

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:07 PM

I’ve only been doing astronomy for three years. I think I’m close to “being done”. I’ve tried some different things (newts, mewlons) and now know what I like (refractors). I placed an order for a CFF180 a couple weeks ago to replace my TEC160. I’m hoping the 7” CFF will also replace my MK91. If so, I’ll be down to three refractors (FS60Q, FC100DZ, CFF180) and a pair of big binoculars (APM120). If I can’t see what I’m looking for with what I have, I’ll find a picture on the internet or look through someone else’s scope. 

I like to keep my life and hobbies simple. There is absolutely no reason for me to own 12 or 13 scopes. 

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#18 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:30 PM

I sold it two weeks ago Jim. It was very, very close to my Tak FC76 in views but the Tak was capable of wider fields and was more versatile and almost as transportable, and I had a lot less money tied up in it. It was a tough decision, but I feel like I made the right one for me.

• BarabinoSr, Sarkikos, steve t and 6 others like this

#19 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:32 PM

Terra:  When I read the Thread Title, I thought, Terra's DONE with CN?  Done with the Hobby??

Definitely not Sir. Not by a long shot! :)

• Jon Isaacs, Mr Magoo, steve t and 7 others like this

#20 Bonco2

Bonco2

Viking 1

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:48 PM

I'm mostly done but still look for bargains on eyepieces. I have no regrets over the past, every scope I've owned I enjoyed. Never made money on a sell but that's OK. I'd like to replace my 8 inch DOB with a quality  8 inch f/6 equitorial classic but I doubt I'll find one locally. Shipping costs are making only local sales feasible. Out of my 7 I'll likely unload 2 or 3 in the next year or so.  

Bill

• Mr Magoo, steve t, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#21 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:51 PM

Well friends, after having been through way too many telescopes to even count (I realized a while back that I had hopeless lost track of all the ones that have come and gone over the years), as you may know, I recently completed the last of my effort to thin them down. I’m now at ten and have fully and confidently decided to get no more. I’ve also steadily whittled away at my mounts and now have a single GEM and only a handful of alt-az mounts. I’m also pretty much done going through eyepieces and accessories and am down to the keepers there as well. I feel like what I have left is of manageable numbers to will stay with me. It’s all stuff that I use and that is a big criterion in guiding my effort. I also feel like I’m happy with what’s left and am done with the whole buy-and-try thing. I know what I like and what works and does not work for me. Keeping that in mind, I really don’t see any point in buying anything else, other than in the unforeseen event of having to replace something lost or broken. I know that others of you have stated being on a similar journey or are realizing the need to downsize in the near future. Has anyone else reached their target? And that extra disposable income is always nice!

It’s good to hear that you are where you want to be.  I’m right now at the top of the hill, and want to start getting rid of the things I don’t use much.  I, like you, don’t want to leave my kids with an estate sale with all of this stuff, amd have them selling my FS-152 for a $1000.

Just for fun, I went around and added it all up.  10 Eq. mounts, 17 refractors, 7 reflectors, 10 Cats., 5 Dobs., 7 Alt. Az. mounts, 1 solar scope, and 1 Questar.  I need to start selling things.

• Steve_M_M, Jae, steve t and 5 others like this

#22 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:53 PM

I pass on a lot of things that I may not have 10 years ago. Like Chas, there is no way I will every have a scope shipped (unless it's brand new) or sell one that has to be shipped.

Like Robert and others, I have trouble letting go of some too especially if I have put a lot of effort into them. I have been struggling with whether or not to let go of my RV6 and RV8 for several years. They are still here. I do my best to rotate through all of them so they get outside and don't just sit in my astronomy room. 

I also stay away from small refractors. Unfortunately for my aging body, I really love the big scopes. 

I don't go looking for scopes, but some how they always seem to find me just like the latest vintage Mak did. That type of scope really excites my interest too. Doing the detective work on its history and getting it back to working order is a real joy for me. 

I don't push myself as hard as I used to get them done either. I have several in the cue waiting for post retirement to keep me busy. 

Like Yogi said, "It ain't over till it's over."

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#23 Piaget

Piaget

Viking 1

• Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:58 PM

10 Eq. mounts, 17 refractors, 7 reflectors, 10 Cats., 5 Dobs., 7 Alt. Az. mounts, 1 solar scope, and 1 Questar & a partridge in a pear tree ... You have written the final verse of the Astronomers obsession Christmas song ... 

Edited by Piaget, 26 September 2021 - 04:02 PM.

• SandyHouTex, steve t, JoeVanGeaux and 7 others like this

#24 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:27 PM

I'm mostly done but still look for bargains on eyepieces. I have no regrets over the past, every scope I've owned I enjoyed. Never made money on a sell but that's OK. I'd like to replace my 8 inch DOB with a quality  8 inch f/6 equitorial classic but I doubt I'll find one locally. Shipping costs are making only local sales feasible. Out of my 7 I'll likely unload 2 or 3 in the next year or so.  

Bill

Finding a old school Newt in our area is never gonna happen unless you buy a broken scope like i did. Let me know what you unload.

Edited by CHASLX200, 26 September 2021 - 04:28 PM.

#25 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:45 PM

CHAS:  Thanks Again for the 826... Last Night, in 9/10 Seeing, got her up to 750x on Jupiter... 

Finding a old school Newt in our area is never gonna happen unless you buy a broken scope like i did. Let me know what you unload.

Well... I KNOW there were 1960s / 1970s Cave Newts & Casses in & around B'ham.  But... the heirs usually toss them;  donate them to clubs, or turn them over locally (nothing wrong with that, as the scope survives)...

Related:  CHAS, with all the military retirees in & around Tampa (MacDill AFB), I'd think a few Classic Newts would pop up, but maybe they're the SCT Crowd??

As always, if a 1970s Cave loaded 8" F7 EQ presented itself, I'd probably have to JUMP on it -- mostly nostalgia, but nothing wrong with that...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 26 September 2021 - 05:02 PM.

• steve t, ianatcn, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics