•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Filters for One Shot Color

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pemongillo

pemongillo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:16 PM

I have not been able to find a source to tell me what filters are available for one shot color cameras and what affect each has. Links ? It would be real nice to have all of that laying out in front of me in one place. I really can't be more specific at this point which is why I want to do some reading or watching to get my feet on the ground. As an example, but by all means not my only interest; is there a filter that will reduce the visibility of stars in a heavily stared area? You know what I'm talking about. Someplace so think with stars that StarNet++ can't begin to deal with it. I don't need to be convinced to shoot monochrome. I understand the benefits for many things, but just not there yet. Thanks

#2 Medic002

Medic002

Messenger

• Loc: South Carolina Bortle Class 4

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:30 PM

I would just get an optolong l'extreme and start there. I have one and almost the only one I use unless I decide not to use a filter some nights but here is link to another discussion on filters for osc cameras.

https://www.cloudyni...ion-for-an-osc/

#3 David Boulanger

David Boulanger

Ranger 4

• Loc: Naples, Florida

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:35 PM

Read this.   https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/0999470906

I have a Optolong L Pro that seems to help on emission stuff.

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:39 PM

A good UV/IR filter is recommended for OSC cameras. I use this one:

https://telescopesca...=32261135302736

#5 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:55 PM

If your camera does not come with a built in IR-cut filter, you need one because infrared radiation will contaminate all three color channels, and that is not fixable with picture editing software.

Taras

#6 pemongillo

pemongillo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:17 PM

I guess I should have given my camera model: ASI183 pro cooled color camera

#7 pemongillo

pemongillo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:23 PM

If your camera does not come with a built in IR-cut filter, you need one because infrared radiation will contaminate all three color channels, and that is not fixable with picture editing software.

Taras

#8 pemongillo

pemongillo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:25 PM

Can assume the filter mentioned above would do the trick rick for IR ? Guessing my camera doesn't have what you mentioned

#9 pemongillo

pemongillo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:39 PM

Can assume the filter mentioned above would do the trick rick for IR ? Guessing my camera doesn't have what you mentioned

#10 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:46 PM

A few questions- what is your camera (DSLR/Astrocam) model? What are your skies like Bortle zone ___ ? Are you shooting galaxies, nebulae or both? Are you interested in narrowband (duo / tri/ quad band) filters to get SHO using color cam?

#11 ngatel

ngatel

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Springs, CA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 05:17 PM

I have the same camera. Use a Optolong UV-IR or L-enhance filters. They cover everything I want to do. I also bought a ZWO 2” filter drawer with an extra drawer insert to make filter changes easier.
  • Dynan and pemongillo like this

#12 pemongillo

pemongillo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:09 PM

A few questions- what is your camera (DSLR/Astrocam) model? What are your skies like Bortle zone ___ ? Are you shooting galaxies, nebulae or both? Are you interested in narrowband (duo / tri/ quad band) filters to get SHO using color cam?

I did mention the camera above, but post original post. ASI183 Pro Cooled. Bortle 4-5. But I will be spending winters in Bortle 2 im S Arizona. Both Galaxies and Nebula. I am interested in tri, but I am thinking $800 or more for a filter is not in the cards at the moment.

#13 pemongillo

pemongillo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:11 PM

I have the same camera. Use a Optolong UV-IR or L-enhance filters. They cover everything I want to do. I also bought a ZWO 2” filter drawer with an extra drawer insert to make filter changes easier.

So I am guessing the L-enhance is to cut through light pollution. What does the UV-IR do. I just ordered a filter drawer?

#14 ngatel

ngatel

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Springs, CA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:13 PM

The L-enhance is mostly for emission nebula. Even works great for these targets with light pollution and a full moon. All the other stuff I use the UV-IR so my stars aren’t bloated and weird. I don’t use light pollution filters (live in a B5 area). I can get rid of light pollution with shorter and more subs, along with editing.

edited with my computer for fix fat finger errors in the original with my iPhone :-(

Edited by ngatel, 26 September 2021 - 07:17 PM.

• pemongillo likes this

#15 pemongillo

pemongillo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:16 PM

The L-enhance is mostly for emission nebula. Even works great for these targets with light pollution and a full moon. All the other stuff I use the UB-IR so my stars aren’t bloated and weird. I don’t use light pollution filters (live in B5) area. I can get rid of light pollution with shorter and mor subs, along with editing.

Sounds like this would work for me. Thanks again.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics