•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PH2 set up?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 claws

claws

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: rio vista, CA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:50 PM

Just want to confirm the proper equipment set up for PH2. I entered my ZWO 120MM mini under Camera as ZWO ASI. I'm using an HEQ5 mount but it's not listed in the PH2 Mount drop down menu. Since I'm using the ST4 cable from my camera to my mount do I enter On Camera for the mount selection?

Thanks,

Kim

#2 ngatel

ngatel

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Springs, CA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 05:12 PM

Can you use pulse guiding with the mount and camera connected to a computer? There are probably some threads here on how to do it.
  • OldManSky likes this

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 05:31 PM

If you solve the first problem (that your HEQ5 mount apparently isn't connected through ASCOM), then you can ditch the ST4 cable as ngatel suggests above, and get much better guiding results.

If you can't solve that, then yes -- choose "On Camera" and use the ST4 cable.

#4 maximalz

maximalz

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 26 September 2021 - 05:39 PM

What you need to do it better is an EQMOD cable (so you can guide through ASCOM). But if there's no option, just do as OldManSky said!

• OldManSky likes this

#5 claws

claws

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the info. For now I'll use the ST4 cable and do On Camera guiding. I'm having a hard time trying to focus my WO 50mm guide scope and my ZWO asi120 mini camera. They don't seem to play well together.

Kim

#6 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Viking 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:12 PM

If you haven't already done so you could attempt to get focus during the day to make things a lot easier. Once everything is in focus during the day at an object far away then you should only need to tweak focus at night on a bright star or the moon..

#7 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:31 PM

ST4 is nearly as old as film ......and just as outdated. Do yourself a favor and just get the EQMOD cable....

Get your guidecam focused in the daylight. If you can't get the gain turned down enough, put a pinhole mask made of aluminum foil over the objective.

#8 zxx

zxx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2021 - 01:25 AM

ST4 guiding works fine, just need to recalibrate for each target.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#9 maximalz

maximalz

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 27 September 2021 - 02:12 AM

Thanks for the info. For now I'll use the ST4 cable and do On Camera guiding. I'm having a hard time trying to focus my WO 50mm guide scope and my ZWO asi120 mini camera. They don't seem to play well together.

Kim

I feel you, my guidescope doesn't have an helicoidal focuser either, so I need to move the camera manually too.. It's a pain. We should definitely get an helicoidal focuser guidescope whenever we need to change!

#10 claws

claws

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2021 - 08:35 AM

EQMOD is on my to do list but for now simplicity is paramount. As for my focusing problems; I've only tried daytime through PHD2 and get nothing but a white screen or black screen if I put the lens cap on the WO guide scope. I tried the aluminum foil and pin hole trick but still get a white screen. I've been trying to focus on some trees or roof tops down the street about 100 yards away but get nothing, not even some darkening of the screen that would indicate that something is there.

Kim

#11 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:50 AM

Kim

Use the extender that came with your WO 50mm guide scope, if you aren't already.

#12 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:33 AM

ST4 is fine.  Many of us start with it, move to ASCOM guiding when we start controlling the mount with the computer.  It's easy then.

Edited by bobzeq25, 27 September 2021 - 11:34 AM.

• claws likes this

#13 claws

claws

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2021 - 12:36 PM

Well, I finally managed to get a daytime focus with my ZWO 120mm mini and WO 50mm guide scope. I spent 2 days trying to do this getting nothing but a white screen on PHD2. I finally ran the camera through Sharpcap where I was able to use a very fast exposure setting and I could finally see something. It only took me another 10 minutes to focus on some palm trees at the end of my block (maybe a hundred yards away). Another piece of the AP puzzle has fallen into place. I'm a happy camper today.

Kim

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics