•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WWII era 6x30 military binos

Binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 colt45sa

colt45sa

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:07 PM

Why are two 1943 Universal Camera 6x30 binoculars showing different Model numbers~?  One is marked Mod XXXIII and the other is marked Model 33~?  Both were made by the same company and appear to be identical~!

Edited by colt45sa, 26 September 2021 - 10:08 PM.

#2 FrankL

FrankL

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:40 PM

It’s the same binocular only in mid-1943 the U.S. Navy switched from using Roman numeral Mark designations to Arabic numeral Mark designations. Why? I don’t know. Maybe Arabic numerals were easier for some people to read. 

• mdowns and colt45sa like this

#3 colt45sa

colt45sa

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2021 - 08:30 AM

It’s the same binocular only in mid-1943 the U.S. Navy switched from using Roman numeral Mark designations to Arabic numeral Mark designations. Why? I don’t know. Maybe Arabic numerals were easier for some people to read. 

That makes sense~!  You forgot to say that there were probably many people who skipped school the day that "Roman numerals" were taught.  There are a lot of people who don't know a lot of things about a lot of things~!!!

#4 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:54 AM

You forgot to say that there were probably many people who skipped school the day that "Roman numerals" were taught.  There are a lot of people who don't know a lot of things about a lot of things~!!!

If we were honest, I think that that would be true of the entire  population of planet earth. crazy.gif

Stan

#5 colt45sa

colt45sa

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:30 PM

I thought that they began coating the lenses in 1943.  My Universal Camera Model 33 is dated 1943 and the lenses are not coated~???  When in 1943 did the coating begin.  My serial number is in the 10000 range. 

#6 FrankL

FrankL

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:59 AM

The U.S. Army and Navy began full-scale coating of binoculars in 1944 although some made in 1943 were probably coated too and not all binoculars made in 1944 were coated either. The year dating on U.S. binoculars is the year of contract and not necessarily the year of manufacture. Also, many U.S. binoculars were retro-fitted with coated optics during and after the war.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics