•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Antares Optics does not respond

Reflector Dob ATM Optics
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#26 bokemon

bokemon

Viking 1

• Loc: Silicon Valley, California

Posted 01 October 2021 - 02:50 AM

After decades of dealing with vendors... I've concluded that some of the best just aren't into micro hand-holding. 

Responding to "Good day sir, do you have this product in stock?" is not micro hand-holding.

#27 Mi_Kla

Mi_Kla

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southeast Germany

Posted 01 October 2021 - 02:55 AM

The obvious solution would be to have the mirror shipped directly to Randy. He can then build and integrate for a perfect fit.

This is the most probable way I will go for. Asking Randy what he can do for me in this issue.

By the way, Tom, very nice Scopes(!), nice dome and nice pets under your dome lol.gif how long have you built to get this equipment finished? And how dark is your site where this beautiful 36" beast is used? And, what might be also interesting to know, how is your "tubus" seeing experience under the dome? Won't you observe through an air mass within the dome that is warmer than the air mass outside and above the dome and thus streaming from inside through the outlet toward outside of the dome causing horribly moving air parcels?

Best

Micha

Edited by Mi_Kla, 01 October 2021 - 05:42 AM.

#28 Mi_Kla

Mi_Kla

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2021 - 05:41 AM

Two associated pictures >>> (click on) >>>

A 16-inch binocular. Very nice construction. Also, what about tubus seeing here, when you stand beneath the scopes and the body heat is rising through the field of view?

#29 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 01 October 2021 - 08:11 AM

Responding to "Good day sir, do you have this product in stock?" is not micro hand-holding.

Good point! A responsive vendor would say... "Ehhh... maybe, maybe not... I'll drive out to the warehouse and check... putting you on hold now... elevator music...    Tom

#30 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 01 October 2021 - 09:03 AM

This is the most probable way I will go for. Asking Randy what he can do for me in this issue.

By the way, Tom, very nice Scopes(!), nice dome and nice pets under your dome lol.gif how long have you built to get this equipment finished? And how dark is your site where this beautiful 36" beast is used? And, what might be also interesting to know, how is your "tubus" seeing experience under the dome? Won't you observe through an air mass within the dome that is warmer than the air mass outside and above the dome and thus streaming from inside through the outlet toward outside of the dome causing horribly moving air parcels?

Best

Micha

A 16-inch binocular. Very nice construction. Also, what about tubus seeing here, when you stand beneath the scopes and the body heat is rising through the field of view?

Greetings, Micha, Thanks for the compliments!

The big dome took years and the 36-inch about half a year. The rural skies here are Sky Quality Meter (SQM) 21.35 = +/- 0.1 on decent nights. And yes, indeed Air Turbulence is a concern with big domes and scopes... especially local low-level as you anticipate. The 24-foot dome is raised above ground with vegetation grass to bushes to forest buffering the turbulence generators by promoting isotropic H2O change of phase (gas to frost or dew to gas) which greatly diminishes ground turbulence. I open the shutters and doors well before sunset and blow two giant box fans in from below onto the scope and interior. The scope and dome are therefore stable and ambient a couple hours later, and the seeing then actually superior... far better than most friends experience at their sites. Even the ultra-skinny Encke Gap in Saturn's rings on the best nights (Cassini Division one can drive a truck through). The dome completely prevents dew or frost inside of on the scope or optics... quite elegant! The 36-inch supports good resolution at 400x most nights. I typically use it at 300x with 3mm exit pupil = nice and bright and magnified on remote galaxies and clusters of galaxies, which are my favorite targets. I routinely use both glass and Night Vision eyepieces.

The 16-inch Night Vision Binoscope... is stored in a roll-out shed on a ridge. Again grass to bushes to trees buffer the local low-level thermals. I roll that out and run blowers that suck air down the tubes starting before sunset to bring all to ambient. Body heat thermals most often are wafted away by a gentle prevailing breeze coming up and over the ridge. Premium optics upgrades throughout support high magnification with good resolution. But I mostly use at low magnification for Decadent Deep Sky at 101x (glass eyepieces) and  74x (Night Vision eyepieces)... Deep Sky.

here's a drone video of the big dome and scope >>>    Tom

https://www.youtube....h?v=9DUMPgsY0dw

#31 RichA

RichA

Skylab

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 01 October 2021 - 12:07 PM

After decades of dealing with vendors... I've concluded that some of the best just aren't into micro hand-holding. I know, I know... that in itself may not be ~good business practice~ but nevertheless actually functions well for both parties. Part of that dynamic might be that they're occupied with quickly producing and delivering superior product, which then speaks for itself. Some (too many) potential customers probably bombard them with interminable questions and then never order anything... we've all seen that in some friends, and even occasionally in ourselves.    Tom

No kidding.  I can't help but wonder how much work is held up by people (buyer's remorse, who knows?)  who insist on long-winded conversations with the maker AFTER they'd made the order.

#32 Mi_Kla

Mi_Kla

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 October 2021 - 12:31 PM

Tom, this is high-end amateur astronomy. Fascinating! I think, I have a dream...

https://www.youtube....h?v=9DUMPgsY0dw

Aren't you afraid that in the proximity of your observatory there will be installed artificial light some day? If this not your ground you won't be able to exclude this.

No kidding.  I can't help but wonder how much work is held up by people (buyer's remorse, who knows?)  who insist on long-winded conversations with the maker AFTER they'd made the order.

lol.gif This means, buyers should shut up and are born to just order.

Edited by Mi_Kla, 02 October 2021 - 02:43 PM.

#33 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 02 October 2021 - 04:21 PM

Tom, this is high-end amateur astronomy. Fascinating! I think, I have a dream...

Aren't you afraid that in the proximity of your observatory there will be installed artificial light some day? If this not your ground you won't be able to exclude this.

I preemptively addressed/took care of that forty years ago, when we decided to move here. I told the realtor that I wanted rural property on a hill in a politically-conservative and economically-depressed area that has negative prospects of "development" and far from expressways. That we found here in storybook idyllic Springwater. The skies were good then and still today. The only two scares were: 1) when the turbine man came to town and tried to mesmerize the locals... we booted him out and he stuck turbines in fifteen miles away, instead... never returning here 2)  when developers tried to take over our lakes... we squealed and NY State bought the surrounding 6000+ acres, including the two lakes, and made them a forever wild Forest Preserve. As a bonus, they meticulously groomed miles and miles of hiking trails, bird sanctuaries, couple of modest parking lots, kayak launches, etc. Zero lights there... absolute zero; that's the way they and we like it. And Park Rangers patrol. Farmers make perfect neighbors!

So yeah, you gota think about that kinda stuff and address before selecting that rural hill for your next home. After the fact --- is too late. This falls in the category of ~making one's own luck~.   Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 18 toms 24-foot dome and 36-inch telescope 1000 feet from house.jpg
  • 19 45 toms 24-foot dome and 36-inch telescope 1000 feet from house.jpg

#34 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Moderators
  • Loc: Flossmoor Il.

Posted 02 October 2021 - 08:56 PM

And on that note, this thread is locked as we have meandered off to discussing many other things!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reflector, Dob, ATM, Optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics