•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

No dithering after midnight!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DRK73

DRK73

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland, United States

Posted 27 September 2021 - 09:51 AM

Okay, 1:00 AM, but still...

So last night I got set up and got things rolling by about 8:30 PM last night, collecting H-alpha for a couple hours until 10:45, then more still until 1:30 (I pause to manually check focus). I dither every three subs and most of the time I have no issues with dithering. Everything had been going well including meridian flip. I switched to SII at around 1:30, refocused, got everything started up again, and went to bed for the night. 

When I came down to cover everything up for the day I saw that I had been getting error messages continually from about 2:00 AM onwards - a "PHDError: Dither error CODE: 1" every 5 minutes through the end of my run. Running a quick blink/subframe selector, found that I needed to pitch all but 9 of ~40 subs collected between 1:30 and 4 (when my target gets too close to the trees). 

I'd already run a PHD calibration in the evening before I started, and hadn't taken anything down or changed anything from previous runs which worked without this issue, so I'm not sure if this a NINA glitch or a PHD2 issue, or something else entirely? 

Really, the only thing that was different was that the nighttime temperature was colder than the last time things ran differently. Stupid ues, but really nothing else has changed so it's kind of baffling where these nonsense errors come from that pop up and kill your data. 

Any ideas?

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:09 AM

Are you using ASCOM guiding or ST-4 ?

https://www.cloudyni...-meridian-flip/

#3 DRK73

DRK73

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:15 AM

Are you using ASCOM guiding or ST-4 ?

https://www.cloudyni...-meridian-flip/

ASCOM guiding.

Edited by DRK73, 27 September 2021 - 10:16 AM.

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:43 AM

You'll need to look at/upload the PHD2 log.

NINA just reported to you that PHD2 was throwing an error and couldn't dither.  It only puts up what PHD2 tells it -- it doesn't know WHY the dither failed.

Let's see the PHD2 log.

Edited by OldManSky, 27 September 2021 - 10:44 AM.

• DRK73 likes this

#5 DRK73

DRK73

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2021 - 01:47 PM

You'll need to look at/upload the PHD2 log.

NINA just reported to you that PHD2 was throwing an error and couldn't dither.  It only puts up what PHD2 tells it -- it doesn't know WHY the dither failed.

Let's see the PHD2 log.

I'll dig it out when I get home. 

Funny thing is that when I was googling this issue this morning I came across conversation between a CN'er whose name I recognized and (I guess?) a developer from PHD - and I think they were sure it was a NINA issue?

That was a build from nearly a year ago, though, and this issue is not supposed to be present in the current release?

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 27 September 2021 - 03:06 PM

I'll dig it out when I get home. 

Funny thing is that when I was googling this issue this morning I came across conversation between a CN'er whose name I recognized and (I guess?) a developer from PHD - and I think they were sure it was a NINA issue?

That was a build from nearly a year ago, though, and this issue is not supposed to be present in the current release?

It's possible, but either way the PHD2 log will shed some light. :)

#7 ngatel

ngatel

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Springs, CA

Posted 27 September 2021 - 06:30 PM

Might be something as simple is a USB cable was having problems.Whenever I have an issue with PHD, it is almost always a cable connection or once a bad cable.

As I understand it, NINA just sends a dither command to PHD and is then not involved further with PHD other than reporting any errors and mimicking the PHD graph..

#8 Splurk

Splurk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 27 September 2021 - 08:57 PM

Possibilities could be a cable snag or mount limits preventing the dither, since it worked fine for 30 minutes prior.

#9 DRK73

DRK73

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2021 - 09:15 PM

I'll see what happens tonight, my setup's been chugging away for a couple hours now. I got home later than I'd planned and didn't spend any time trying to solve anything so I could take advantage of the 8-1 AM time when I typically don't get any problems *knocking on wood*. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics