•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Almost 5h on NGC 1499, The California Nebula

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 maximalz

maximalz

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: France

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:05 AM

Hey folks,

Finally an image I'm really proud of, after 4+ years in the hobby. On friday, the forecast was insane: no clouds from 9pm to 6am straight! I planned my session very carefully as I really wanted to take advantage of that night to work on one of my favourite subjects, the California Nebula. Definitely the most iconic "red" nebula to me. I just acquired my 1600MM Pro about a month ago, and after 4 nights of fiddling around and setting things up, I was ready to do something serious.

I really want to do an SHO version too, but waiting on the moon to leave so I can collect some quality Oiii.

All in all, this is 4h50mins of data :
  • 33x300s Ha (2h45mins)
  • 25x300s Sii (2h05mins)

Processed using Pixinsight and Photoshop. I do realize this more "dramatic" style is not for everyone and, but I've chosen to work in that style as I really like it. I'm pretty sure my next step is being able to correct my stars much better, and collect more data and avoid over sharpening the background. Let me know what you guys think and I'd love to hear some feedback!

Thanks!

NGC 1499, The California Nebula

Edited by maximalz, 27 September 2021 - 10:06 AM.

• OrionSword, nicknacknock, acommonsoul and 12 others like this

#2 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Viking 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:57 AM

Stars look great and your processing is good also so all in all a great start just keep adding data to it and things will get better and better.. I have seen this in the SHO palette which is also nice and I am waiting to get my FR/FF to tackle it SHO. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics