•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light lunar imaging with ASIAir Plus

Astrophotography Imaging Moon
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 glancey

glancey

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Santa Ana, CA, USA

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:09 AM

The ASIAir Plus is the third iteration of the popular ASIAir system controller from ZWO. The software is basically an Indilib server running on a RPi 4 and boasts a fast eMMC memory module with 20G available for image capture.

The specs should support decent lunar and planetary imaging. So after opening the package and attaching the AAP to my C9.25 at F/10, I captured the following image with my ASI174mm camera using AAPs video mode.

Moon_Bin1_4_12_thn_reg.png

Overall, I was pleased with the results. My focusing was off. But that's fixable. 

More problematic is the fact that the AAP has a 4G file size limit due to it's 32-bit OS. For high resolution imaging with a reasonable ROI, even 30-second AVI files would fail. For lucky imaging you need to shoot multiple, short AVIs to capture sufficient frames for stacking. In video mode, AAP doesn't have a scheduling feature  to repeat your capture, so you have to run each one manually. That's a bit inconvenient and I didn't do that here.

The following AVI stats for the image were recorded by AAP:

Bin = 1
Capture Area Size = 1920 * 1080
Colour Format = RAW8
Exposure = 0.001 Sec
Gain = 104
Duration=11 Sec

• gfstallin likes this

#2 gfstallin

gfstallin

Apollo

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 27 September 2021 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for this. I've been desperately awaiting an AAP-like product that can handle planetary. 20G file sizes are my norm. The Primaluce Eagle solves this issue, but the cost is steep. I use a NUC now, but the power requirements are considerable.

George

#3 glancey

glancey

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Santa Ana, CA, USA

Posted 27 September 2021 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for this. I've been desperately awaiting an AAP-like product that can handle planetary. 20G file sizes are my norm. The Primaluce Eagle solves this issue, but the cost is steep. I use a NUC now, but the power requirements are considerable.

George

The onboard storage is 20G. But you can insert a micro sd card for additional memory. 

Glenn

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Imaging, Moon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics