•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can anyone ID these DSOs...

Dob NV Observing
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:50 AM

So. last night Sept 26 at about 9:45pm EST I pointed 12.5" NewMoon scope at the Bubble Nebula and to its left is a bright blob. I assume we have seen these objects before. This time I moved scope up and noticed a wispy streak of nebulosity with a blob and then moved up from this I saw 2 more blobs. 

The blobs are bright with Astronomik 6nm Ha filter with PVS7 and Mod3... I threw in a 642nm IR filter to see if these blobs would reveal anything. The objects are Ha. 

Note on the 642 IR... in looking at NGC40, its very bright with Ha filter but with 642 IR, the central star and wispy envelope looks really cool.

Sketch attached, not great but you get the idea... anyone know if these blobs (#1, 2, 3, 4) have ID

Attached Thumbnails

• Blobs.JPG

#2 stnagy

stnagy

Explorer 1

Posted 27 September 2021 - 12:45 PM

Yes! I actually noticed the same objects last night, so I did a little research before I went to bed.

I came to the conclusion blob 1 is NGC 7538, blob 2 is NGC 7510, and blob 3/4 is Sh 2-156. Or it might be blob 2/3 is NGC 7510 and blob 4 is Sh 2-156. You get the idea. 

Check out this other thread showing an image of NGC 7538 and the area around NGC 7510, which has a fair amount of H-alpha emission.

https://www.cloudyni...0-at-full-moon/

Edited by stnagy, 27 September 2021 - 12:50 PM.

• Joko likes this

#3 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2021 - 01:08 PM

Great ID / photo info, thank you for replying. If clear tonight I may setup an 8” Astrograph scope at f/2.8 to squeeze more viewing area in. 

After the scope came in I used the Mod3 with 6nm Ha and 180mm f/2.8 Nikon lens for 7x and see  lot of “stuff” in the region.

#4 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 27 September 2021 - 04:15 PM

Welcome to Cepheus, lots of NV nebulae, more than cygnus!
Peter

#5 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2021 - 04:52 PM

Thanks... all I need is a sky less the B8 

#6 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 September 2021 - 05:55 PM

Get Stellarium on your computer and have it show only the Sharpless catalog (SH-2).  It can also show an h-alpha image of the milky way.  SkySafari is good to have at the scope if a computer is inconvenient.

The Lobster Claw (Sh2-157) and the Wizard (the nebula around 7380) should be nice in that scope, despite the skies.

#7 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2021 - 09:49 PM

stnagy & Butter

Ok, so I used your info this evening with Nexus DSC and SS5 Pro... I don't have a photo but after viewing the blobs I pushed scope higher and saw what looked like Pacman (NGC 281) but it wasn't as Pacman is about 16.5 degrees below this nebula. This was about 8:30pm EST. Nothing shows up in SS5 but the attached image shows the location (NewMoon cursor).

Thanks again for the info.

Attached Thumbnails

• New EM.JPG

#8 stnagy

stnagy

Explorer 1

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:00 PM

stnagy & Butter

Ok, so I used your info this evening with Nexus DSC and SS5 Pro... I don't have a photo but after viewing the blobs I pushed scope higher and saw what looked like Pacman (NGC 281) but it wasn't as Pacman is about 16.5 degrees below this nebula. This was about 8:30pm EST. Nothing shows up in SS5 but the attached image shows the location (NewMoon cursor).

Looks to me like you're right near the Wizard Nebula, Sh 2-142. 

#9 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:30 PM

Apparently I need to get with the program and delve into the Sharpless objects.

#10 stnagy

stnagy

Explorer 1

Posted 28 September 2021 - 08:28 AM

Apparently I need to get with the program and delve into the Sharpless objects.

For H-alpha, one thing you can do is buy Stellarium Plus on a mobile device, and in the settings turn the brightness of the sky all the way up. This makes the H-alpha regions pop and it's much easier to figure out what you're looking at. Otherwise, a good star chart will do the trick. 

#11 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 September 2021 - 10:39 AM

stnagy & Butter

For whatever reason, SkySafari (edit: on Android) doesn't show Sharpless objects.  I had to search "Sharpless" and make an observing list.  Then I highlight the list.  Most, but not all, are in the database.

Edited by ButterFly, 28 September 2021 - 10:40 AM.

#12 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:08 PM

I had no idea there were so many objects... anyone can download the Sharpless Observing Guide - lot of good info. I'll have to put together a list

http://www.reinervog...et/index_e.html

#13 Dale Eason

Dale Eason

Vanguard

• Loc: Roseville,Mn.

Posted 29 September 2021 - 02:44 PM

This is an area several of us novices NV users have mentioned that we get lost in.   Here is an image I got from this Forum but have forgotten who posted it.  It labels things pretty well.   Also if you don't know a very good book/atlas that does show all of this is "The Astrophotography Sky Atlas" by Chqrles Bracken,  Recommended to me by this Forum and it is my go to now for identifying NV objects.

Attached Thumbnails

• M52.jpg

• Joko and Mazerski like this

#14 Mort H

Mort H

Explorer 1

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 29 September 2021 - 03:42 PM

Mazerski thank you for the Sharpless Observing Guide link, I had not seen that before.  Wasn't long ago that I had essentially zero familiarity with Sharpless objects, and now with NV I'm starting to observe so many of them!

So I was out observing last night, and happened to spend some time in this vicinity using camera lenses, so pretty low power.  Starting from the huge nebulous region of IC 1396 (easy to view but requires low power) just south of the base of Cepheus, I worked my way later in RA along a large arc and easily made out the following 6 objects strung along the arc, in order they were:

1)  IC 1396 (contains Elephant Trunk) just S of Herschel's Garnet Star at base of Cepheus figure.

2)  Lion Nebula (Sh2-132) just S of bottom corner of Cepheus figure.

3)  Wizard Nebula (Sh2-142).

4)  Lobster Claw a.k.a Californietto Nebula (Sh2-157).  (Could this large area comprise your Blobs 2, 3, 4??) (Also open cluster NGC 7510 is nearby.)

5)  Bubble Nebula (NGC 7635).

6)  NGC 7538.  (Your Blob 1.)  (NGC 7538 needs a name, so many other of these nebulae have a name!)

I followed this arc back and forth with three different camera lenses, I was mesmerized by this arc, couldn't get enough of it!  Once I knew how the arc went, it was pretty easy to follow even with my highest power camera lens.

Such a busy and cool part of the sky!

I also looked for any more nebulae along or near this arc, and though I see a few more fainter nebulae plotted on the atlas, these 6 are the only ones I could make out.  I was using a 6.5nm filter under city skies (Bortle 6 according to Clear Outside app).

My go-to atlas with NV is Interstellarium Deep Sky Atlas.  I have The Astrophotography Sky Atlas also, it's great but I don't really need it any more since I took a pen and wrote onto my Interstellarium any names and such that were in Astrophotography Sky Atlas but not in Interstellarium.  So my marked up Interstellarium is a superset now!

Edited by Mort H, 29 September 2021 - 03:44 PM.

#15 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 September 2021 - 03:59 PM

Dale

Thanks for posting the photo. Looks to be clear tonight so I will look again and see what get.

WI’ll lookup the atlas you suggest.

Mort

You're welcome and it does look useful and I’ll find out how much I can see as the season moves forward. I’ll pay closer attention tonight to blob IDs and anything else I didn’t previously notice.

Over the past 2-3 years the night sky here on east coast just gets brIghter. I did see the Cocoon the other night but other times I can’t and the Cave is not even worth looking as I see nothing. 

#16 Mort H

Mort H

Explorer 1

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 29 September 2021 - 06:41 PM

It is sad the night sky gets worse, where will it end?  At least we fight back a little with NV, but that has limits too.  The masses overwhelm us and they don't care.

My granddaughter loves it when I get out the telescope, more than my own kids ever did.  I wonder about the future for our grandkids!

#17 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 September 2021 - 01:47 PM

Guys,

Generally I say yes to what you laid with the object IDs in area. However, Nexus DSC does not have Sh2-142 in its library. 

I don't observe with maps / charts / books so, I keyed in Sh2-164 (see attached image). When 12.5" NewMoon was on this DSO, I saw nothing. What I did see below Sh2-164 was a somewhat circular area of nebulosity and star. This is where the blue scope cursor is. 

I looked in the Sharpless catalog and the author states for Sh2-164:

22" f/4.5

10/2011: Unsuccessful, even with H beta

Not sure what I saw as its not clear from the catalog which S # was in the FOV.

Note: I made a crack about how faint the Cave is and I don't bother... in panning the scope I landed on nebulosity and looked at iPad screen and I was dead on the Cave. It was very clear night and was able to see it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

#18 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:56 PM

Get Reiner Vogel's Hickson group guide as well. It is rather amazing how well those ellipticals pop out from the background under my Bortle 5ish yard. I'm curious how the city will handle it. Stephan's quintet can take a surprising amount of power.

Try NGC 7308 for the Wizard (SH2-142) in Nexus' catalog. Many, many HII regions have associated clusters. The Nexus DSC Pro has the entire Sharpless, so try to just scroll through as well. Maybe you hid that catalog and forgot to turn it visible?

#19 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 September 2021 - 04:41 PM

It just occurred to me that it is SkySafari 5 Pro that doesn’t contain Sh2-142 — I just double checked and it does not (a Not Found popup appears). It does show up in Nexus DSC.

The good news out of this is that I can see a slew of them in this area of sky. 

As for the Quint. I can only see 7331, the others are too faint. B8 sky doesn’t help at all.

#20 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 September 2021 - 05:43 PM

Even with SkySafari 6, I cannot search "SH2-142".  That also returns "Not found".  Search "Sharpless".  Make an observing list out of whatever it returns.  Even then, "Sharpless 2-142" doesn't exist in SS6 (Android).  "Sharpless 2-146", however, is in SS6's catalog, so searching "sh2-146" actually returns something.  Searching "SH2" to try and get whatever it has also fails!  Searching "Sharpless" is the only thing I have gotten to work.  Even then, if you want to actually see those objects in the viewer, you need to highlight an observing list containing them.  As lovely as SS is, it is also very annoying sometimes.

#21 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 October 2021 - 10:35 PM

FYI

I verified the scope cursor is at Sh2-168... I key the number in Nexus DSC and Search in SS5 Pro; problem is on a number of the Sharpless rectangles that show in SS5 Pro, what I see in eyepiece is not in the Sharpless rectangle or is just touching it. My guess is these nebulas are large and / or faint and I only see a blob and some nebulosity. Check out 168. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dob, NV, Observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics