•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using Celestron Neximage 10 camera via Icap - which settings to use?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AstroCub

AstroCub

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2021 - 01:32 PM

Hi,

I am just starting out with astro imaging. The Celestron Neximage 10 is my first planetary camera.

After a shaky start, I can now acquire my targets (Jupiter & Saturn) consistently, thanks to the GREAT advice I saw on this forum to use a Flip Mirror to help acquire the target easily in the camera. I ma taking time to get my foucus as good as I can.

I have been watching Warm Weather Guy's Youtube videos (channel wwgeb) for guidance and have found them very helpful.

I am using a 64 bit laptop with Windows 10, Icap to control the live camera and Registax for initial processing / stacking. 

I have taken a few videos lately and I now have subsequent questions to which I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can give me in answering, thank you.

1. I have been recording using the RGB64 setting. What I have noticed is that I have recorded 4 minute videos (which Icap saves as AVI files) yet when I play them back they are playing 4x fast? IE 58 seconds instead of 4 miutes. Any idea why?

2. Which setting do you recommend I use in Icap? RGB32, RGB64, Y800? etc Would changing to any of these affect the length of the final AVI?

3. The advice I have had thus far is to record my videos with as high a frame per minute rate as possible, as long as I don't excede the exposure settings. Is that good advice? I have been recording with a low resolution setting (something like 720x480) to give me the highest frame per minute rate.

4. I have imported some of my videos into Registax for processing but have been disappointed with results. Using the wavelets function seems to not really make any difference at all. 

Thank you

Siouxsie

Edited by AstroCub, 27 September 2021 - 03:35 PM.

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Aurora

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 27 September 2021 - 02:16 PM

The video Using iCap explains why Y800 is superior. You don't want your capture software doing any deBayering. Doing that causes your movie file to be 3 or 4 times larger and actually containing less information.

• AstroCub likes this

#3 AstroCub

AstroCub

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2021 - 02:28 PM

The video Using iCap explains why Y800 is superior. You don't want your capture software doing any deBayering. Doing that causes your movie file to be 3 or 4 times larger and actually containing less information.

Thanks, Steve, and thanks for all your very helpful videos.

I'll give give Y800 a go tonight. 

Do you have any insights as to why my 4 minute video ended up as a 58 second AVI? Plus it looked very grainy. I recorded it in in 720 x 480 @ 60FPS (so the setting said) 1/60th exposure. 

Edited by AstroCub, 27 September 2021 - 02:29 PM.

#4 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Aurora

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 27 September 2021 - 03:29 PM

No I can't imagine why your 4 minute video would end up as 58 seconds. The important thing is that you got 4*60*fps frames. You recorded 240 seconds. If your capture was 50 fps you should end up with 240*50 = 12,000 frames. Did you get cheated on how many frames you got?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics