•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question about 1960s Tasco 11TE-5

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 yeldahtron

yeldahtron

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rideau Ferry, ON

Posted 10 October 2021 - 01:20 PM

Thanks, Chip. Where in MA are you? I'm in Andover.

I tried a 1/16" thick o-ring, but even that is too thick. I ordered a 1mm thick o-ring (27mm OD / 25mm ID) and we'll see how that works. However, as a low-tech stop gap, I wrapped a thin line of tape around part of the finder to eliminate play at the front. I just did an alignment, and we'll see how well it lasts!

The stock finder had a black, curled, tube-shaped strip of plastic sheet on the finder body that fit just inside the finder mount. IIRC the alignment screws made contact with that plastic strip.  Your tape solution sounds like it is close to how the stock finder was configured, except that the plastic strip was not stuck onto the finder.

#27 tbar23

tbar23

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2021 - 02:11 PM

The stock finder had a black, curled, tube-shaped strip of plastic sheet on the finder body that fit just inside the finder mount. IIRC the alignment screws made contact with that plastic strip.  Your tape solution sounds like it is close to how the stock finder was configured, except that the plastic strip was not stuck onto the finder.

Thanks @yeldahtron - I still have that black curled tube of plastic, but without the tape, there isn't anything that pins / anchors the finder at the front. So I could get all of the adjustment screws tight and then still have lots of play at the front.

It seems like the finder mount should relatively firmly hold the front of the finder tube while allowing 2-axis adjustment towards the back of the tube to align.

A work in progress, for sure.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics