•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyWatcher 16" Flextube Synscan 400P go-to collapsible Dob

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 saturn5

saturn5

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 28 September 2021 - 02:12 AM

I have been hunting for hours trying to find who sells this scope. Wait times i read is from 3 to 6 months or more. Does anyone know where they have them in stock for sale. I have read a lot about them and would put it permanently in a shed with roll off roof and fold down walls. So weight is no issue. Eyepiece height would be just right for me as i am a tall person. Obsessions and the like are to much money with goto and tracking. And i had before a couple of 16" meade lightbridges, totaly happy with the mirrors in those, but i am just not a push to person. I like the goto and tracking stuff. I don't live in a city and my sky's are only really limited from the  east to north northeast area.

#2 saturn5

saturn5

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2021 - 02:28 AM

as a side note is the main mirror flat on the back or is it conical shaped which i think would look like a flattened triangle.

#3 Battlestamps

Battlestamps

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:23 AM

I would call them to be certain. https://telescopes.n...-telescope.html

AgenaAstro has it on their site for late October. I tried earlier this year to get one and gave up. I bought the Orion 16" instead.

#4 saturn5

saturn5

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2021 - 11:31 AM

AgenaAstro has it on their site for late October. I tried earlier this year to get one and gave up. I bought the Orion 16" instead.

Ya i looked on the Orion site but didn't see any 16 goto dob. don't know if they discontinued it or what. Dose your scope have a conical shaped main mirror or is it flat on the back of the main mirror.  Thanks for your help.

#5 Battlestamps

Battlestamps

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 September 2021 - 12:06 PM

Ya i looked on the Orion site but didn't see any 16 goto dob. don't know if they discontinued it or what. Dose your scope have a conical shaped main mirror or is it flat on the back of the main mirror.  Thanks for your help.

That link I posted isn't for Orion, but Woodland Hills in California. As for the Orion XX16g - it has a conical mirror which helps a bit for the weight. Just a bit. Orion still has their larger dobsonians, but they disable backorders due to high demand and no supply. When they know more stock is coming in they'll allow backorders again. That's what seems to be happening for the last few months. 

Also, I don't know how far Eastvale CA is from you, but there's a classified ad on here for the Skywatcher 16" for $3200. A bargain compared to the price of a newer one and available.

#6 saturn5

saturn5

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:06 PM

That link I posted isn't for Orion, but Woodland Hills in California. As for the Orion XX16g - it has a conical mirror which helps a bit for the weight. Just a bit. Orion still has their larger dobsonians, but they disable backorders due to high demand and no supply. When they know more stock is coming in they'll allow backorders again. That's what seems to be happening for the last few months. 

Also, I don't know how far Eastvale CA is from you, but there's a classified ad on here for the Skywatcher 16" for $3200. A bargain compared to the price of a newer one and available.

Okay thanks.

#7 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 28 September 2021 - 08:58 PM

"I bought the Orion 16" instead."  ??

Well, then, you bought the SAME Scope as the Skywatcher!  Both are made by Synta, use the Same Mirrors, SAME Bearings, Same Motors, Identical Computerized GoTo System, etc., etc.  Different paint.

#8 Battlestamps

Battlestamps

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 September 2021 - 09:12 PM

Well, then, you bought the SAME Scope as the Skywatcher!  Both are made by Synta, use the Same Mirrors, SAME Bearings, Same Motors, Identical Computerized GoTo System, etc., etc.  Different paint.

I know all this - I've read the threads on here, however they are not quite the same. Orion has a truss system between the two parts of the tube whereas the SkyWatcher has the collapsible design. The base of the Orion actually comes apart differently as well. Also the Orion comes with counterweights and the SkyWatcher does not. The real big difference was no dealers at the time had a Skywatcher, but Orion did have one 16" in stock.

#9 RobertMaples

RobertMaples

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 28 September 2021 - 09:32 PM

They may be the same optically, but they certainly are not the same scope.  The Orion is a standard truss tube while the Sky-Watcher is a collapsible strut tube.  They both have their advantages, the Orion breaks down into smaller, lighter pieces, but the Sky-Watcher is easier to assemble.

#10 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 28 September 2021 - 09:35 PM

I know all this - I've read the threads on here, however they are not quite the same. Orion has a truss system between the two parts of the tube whereas the SkyWatcher has the collapsible design. The base of the Orion actually comes apart differently as well. Also the Orion comes with counterweights and the SkyWatcher does not. The real big difference was no dealers at the time had a Skywatcher, but Orion did have one 16" in stock.

You're correct, not 'exactly' the same.  In the end, though, I think you'll be better served by Orion's truss design.  I have had a few of each, and the truss is, IMHO,  much superior.

#11 spbadhamauthor

spbadhamauthor

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 September 2021 - 02:45 AM

If you are in the UK there is a 2nd hand 450 here: https://ensoptical.c...roduct_id=10620

#12 Battlestamps

Battlestamps

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 September 2021 - 07:18 AM

If you are in the UK there is a 2nd hand 450 here: https://ensoptical.c...roduct_id=10620

Pretty much the only way to get a Stargate - used.

#13 saturn5

saturn5

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 02 October 2021 - 02:27 PM

Well thanks everyone for your help.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics