•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter and Europa Sep 25

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Quopaz

Quopaz

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:01 PM

Seeing on this night was probably better than I realized at the time. It was windy and buffeting the scope
making it hard to keep Jupiter on screen, but apart from that the seeing looked OK. It ended up being better
seeing than a couple of calm nights recently. I should have shielded the scope from the wind, but I didn't.
This would have given better quality frames.
Europa was there early but quickly slipped behind the disc.
821 3000c2.png
400b 792600.png
  • Magellanico, Kenny V., eros312 and 6 others like this

#2 Quopaz

Quopaz

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:05 PM

A couple more from later on the same night:
1056g.png
1224d2.png
  • Magellanico, Kenny V., eros312 and 8 others like this

#3 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Vanguard

Posted 28 September 2021 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for sharing. This takes me back to the late 1980's and 1990's when our Observers group would meet up at our designated dark-sky observing site. Using my old 14" Doby and all my observing buddies with all of their Dobs, everything from 10" and up to 17.5".

On certain nights when the right conditions presented themselves (Jupiter being vsible and the large moons crossing Jupiter's disk), we would literally spend hours observing the Moons and afterwards observing the Shadow transits. I cannot remember the number of hours we spent doing this. Man was it cool. 

Whenever I see pics of Jupiter and some of it's four largest Moon, I just can't help the memories flooding in and being transported back in time. Thank-you.

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics