•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rainbows and Smoke

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 TimN

TimN

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 September 2021 - 02:50 PM

I used an AT8RC last spring/summer with an ASI294mm and RGBL Baader filters. I am away from home and just trying to process some images I took over that period. I noticed that some images have rainbow stars. I thought that maybe my scope was out of collimation, even though it is stored in my observatory and doesn't move. Today, I just noticed that I had an image taken after those with rainbow stars and it looks good. 

I have really thought about the possible causes and remembered that I imaged a few times when there was a smoke warning, although I didn't notice any. Is it possible that faint smoke could act like atmospheric dispersion and cause this? Did anyone else notice this effect? Any other ideas?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics