•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Telescope stores that closed

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#76 EJN

EJN

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:11 AM

A store in Aurora IL around 1985 called Cosmic Connections or Cosmic Pursuits? A very small store front... I bought my Halley's comet T=shirt there.

Cosmic Connections. I was in there once, in 1985.
  • Darren Drake and Etrsi_645 like this

#77 Beaverpond Astro

Beaverpond Astro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Ontario

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:15 AM

Bummer! I guess it is online shopping or trips to Montreal to La Maison De L'Astronomie from now on.

Better keep our eyes open from bankruptcy liquidation proceedings..

Yes, a definite shame...Kent was a great guy.  I also have memories of visiting Focus in the early '80's and buying my first scope (C90).

Apparently he is in a good care home as he is suffering from Alzheimer's...not sure why the business could not continue under Tristan.  All very sad.

I contacted the bankruptcy agent today, as I am a creditor now (had a substantial credit on account).  No date yet on the bankruptcy sale.  I'll be following closely.

Not a bricks and mortar store, but I have had very good service from Telescopes Canada (much better than other online Ontario store(s)).  I do all my business there now.

• yeldahtron and Rick-T137 like this

#78 Beaverpond Astro

Beaverpond Astro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Ontario

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:17 AM

The only Canadian stores I have routinely made purchases from were Focus Scientific, Ottawa (I'll miss the store manager, Tristan -- the engine behind their superior customer service) and La Maison De L'Astronomie, Montreal.  I did buy a barlow from Kahn Scope in Toronto in 2007, so I have no valid opinion on how they are to do business with today.

I know there must be Canadian stores worthy of our business. Buying from in-country stores, even though they source products from abroad, can often save money because there are no foreign-exchange and "brokerage" surprises and they can usually get better shipping rates than an individual purchaser.  And, of course, there's the value they add in terms of advice and service.

Does anyone have a rated list of Canadian stores that are still in business? (A simple rating, as in "recommended" vs "not recommended".)

I'll start:

1. La Maison De L'Astronomie (now called Astronomy Plus), Montreal:  Recommended.

2. Telescopes Canada (highly recommended...great service, meets any Cdn price).

• yeldahtron and Rick-T137 like this

#79 Rick-T137

Rick-T137

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 13 October 2021 - 01:25 PM

Nice ad. 

Er... I'm not sure what you meant by that. I was just expressing that I had done business with Focus Scientific and they made me happy.

Too bad they are also out of business.

Clear skies!

Rick

• yeldahtron likes this

#80 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:33 PM

If Focus is well-and-truly gone for good, we are fortunate to have La Maison De L'Astronomie (now renamed https://astronomyplus.com/ ) as a backup. I have never been to their bricks-and-mortar store, but I have only had good experiences dealing with them on-line.

Incidentally, I like your 

The only Canadian stores I have routinely made purchases from were Focus Scientific, Ottawa (I'll miss the store manager, Tristan -- the engine behind their superior customer service) and La Maison De L'Astronomie, Montreal.  I did buy a barlow from Kahn Scope in Toronto in 2007, so I have no valid opinion on how they are to do business with today.

I know there must be Canadian stores worthy of our business. Buying from in-country stores, even though they source products from abroad, can often save money because there are no foreign-exchange and "brokerage" surprises and they can usually get better shipping rates than an individual purchaser.  And, of course, there's the value they add in terms of advice and service.

Does anyone have a rated list of Canadian stores that are still in business? (A simple rating, as in "recommended" vs "not recommended".)

I'll start:

1. La Maison De L'Astronomie (now called Astronomy Plus), Montreal:  Recommended.

La Maison de l’Astronomie and Astronomy Plus are 2 separate brick and mortar locations and are completely different entities.
La Maison de l’Astronomie is located in Montreal on Hubert St.
Astronomie Plus is located on the south shore (not in Montreal) in the city Longueuil.
Both are open for walk in as well as online business.

• Terra Nova and yeldahtron like this

#81 yeldahtron

yeldahtron

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rideau Ferry, ON

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:27 AM

La Maison de l’Astronomie and Astronomy Plus are 2 separate brick and mortar locations and are completely different entities.
La Maison de l’Astronomie is located in Montreal on Hubert St.
Astronomie Plus is located on the south shore (not in Montreal) in the city Longueuil.
Both are open for walk in as well as online business.

Thanks for the info. I guess I had been dealing with Lire la Nature, now Astronmy Plus.  Good to know there is yet another option.

• Rick-T137 likes this

#82 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:54 AM

We've had three close over the years here in Seattle:

Captain's

Aurora Astro Products

Close Scientific

Close was really old school, you enter the store and right there on the other side of the counter/display case

he had a beautiful old metal lathe for his optical instrument repair work. One day I payed a visit and almost

tripped over a Criterion 8 inch SCT sitting on the floor by the door, I almost bought it with total facial reconstruction but I didn't.

Speaking of tripping over stuff there were many camera shops here years ago and a common sight was the

big Kodak Aero Ektar recon camera lenses holding the door open. I bought many of these and built richest

field telescopes.

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 14 October 2021 - 10:56 AM.

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#83 firemachine69

firemachine69

Ranger 4

Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:29 AM

I used to do business with Efston Science in Toronto for years and years - bought many of my scopes from them. But they closed back in around 2012. I did some business with the place across the street but unfortunately that didn't work out for me.

So, I started doing business with Focus Scientific and I've been very happy! Their customer service is excellent and they make doing business remotely very easy.

Clear skies!

Rick

Wait, there's a place across the street? lol.gif

I always meant to hit up Efston Science, but by the time I finally did, it was closed down.

Funny enough, the big refractor statue on the roof is still there. 

• steve t and Rick-T137 like this

#84 Rick-T137

Rick-T137

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:49 AM

I always meant to hit up Efston Science, but by the time I finally did, it was closed down.

Yeah, there is! However most of my buying/selling activity will likely be on the Canada-wide Astronomy Buy & Sell going forward. I really don't have any need for new gear at this point.

Still, very sad to see all these brick & mortar (especially the mom & pop shoppes) going under. But I guess it's a sign of the times.

Clear skies!

Rick

• steve t likes this

#85 scopeboy42

scopeboy42

Viking 1

• Loc: Raleigh, NC USA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:56 PM

I used to be a regular at Scope City in Las Vegas. Every other Friday it was a routine visit. Bought lots of stuff there including my current scope which I bought there in 2008. They closed up shop in January 2012. Really miss the place but am still in contact with the former manager, William. In fact, we almost went out observing this past weekend but it all fell apart. It was sure nice being able to go to a store that had real serious scopes and not the same old junk with the Hubble images on the box. I'd usually spend a good hour in there just hanging out. Many moons ago now...

I remember William at the Scope City in Las Vegas but only corresponded with him by email only. I tried to buy a Parks Optical 6" f/8 on Precision Mount from him but they closed up before completing the deal. I always wondered what happened to "my telescope".

• steve t and Feidb like this

#86 yeldahtron

yeldahtron

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rideau Ferry, ON

Posted 14 October 2021 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, Kahn Scope is across the street from where Efston used to be.

• Rick-T137 likes this

#87 firemachine69

firemachine69

Ranger 4

Posted 14 October 2021 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, Kahn Scope is across the street from where Efston used to be.

Not much love for that place around here... lol.gif

• Rick-T137 likes this

#88 Feidb

Feidb

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 14 October 2021 - 08:28 PM

I remember William at the Scope City in Las Vegas but only corresponded with him by email only. I tried to buy a Parks Optical 6" f/8 on Precision Mount from him but they closed up before completing the deal. I always wondered what happened to "my telescope".

I think I remember that scope. It was a bit pricey, but then again anything by Parks was. My Parks Barlow was the most expensive ocular I had until I got an ES 30mm. Go figure. He had a couple of other Parks scopes there. From what I recall, he had to ship his inventory back to the main store in Ellay (actually Sherman Oaks?) and it was probably auctioned off or is still sitting in a warehouse somewhere since both Scope City and Parks went belly up. Interesting question. Next time I talk to William I'll have to ask him if I remember.

#89 peta62

peta62

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:20 PM

I miss S&S Optika Denver.....bought a lot of stuff there....met a lot of people there too.

I have bought my first scope, Celestron C9.25 there, they were so helpful. That shop brings so much great memories to me. I am proud to have their stickers on two scopes, it traveled back home to Europe with me. And I have their business card with ships and galaxy.

Edited by peta62, 14 October 2021 - 09:34 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics