•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist,eBay and other vintage/classic telescope ads

• Please log in to reply
333 replies to this topic

#51 RichA

RichA

Skylab

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 03 October 2021 - 05:11 PM

This is a pretty rough 8 inch Criterion SCT near Phoenix. No way is it worth $499. The tripod and wedge are included, though, and seem to be in better shape than the rest of the scope, but that isn’t saying much. I suppose if someone needs an optical component, you may be able to bargain them down. Of interest, but seemingly applicable to nothing pertinent, is the SKU label on the base. 

< https://phoenix.crai...7386966451.html >

Why would anyone pay anything for a scope that is very likely to have mediocre optics?

• JamesDuffey likes this

#52 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Vanguard

• Loc: 76707

Posted 03 October 2021 - 05:36 PM

Why would anyone pay anything for a scope that is very likely to have mediocre optics?

Well now, owner says its classic and you won't find another.  

I totally agree with that last bit.

At least I hope I never run across another in this Condition. 

#53 RichA

RichA

Skylab

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 03 October 2021 - 05:45 PM

Well now, owner says its classic and you won't find another.  

I totally agree with that last bit.

At least I hope I never run across another in this Condition. 

I'd love to know how they smashed part of the corrector cell edge without cracking the corrector?

#54 norvegicus

norvegicus

Ranger 4

• Loc: en route

Posted 03 October 2021 - 05:48 PM

Celestron C60E

Pretty sure it's a mid-'80s Vixen f/15 with a .965" visual back.  

Missing the finder.  Decent looking EQ1 class mount missing the counterweight shaft and weight. 

https://www.shopgood.../Item/131208653

Edited by norvegicus, 03 October 2021 - 05:59 PM.

#55 Ben H

Ben H

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 October 2021 - 06:45 PM

8" Optical Craftsmen for $350 in Champaign, IL

https://chambana.cra...7389032770.html

Also in Champaign, a Tasco 7TE for $125 

https://chambana.cra...7389036310.html

"Big Mac" Orion telescope for $500 near Pittsburgh. Not much info, but seller indicates they originally paid $2500.. could it be a 7" Maksutov? I can't think of any other Orion Maks that would have approached that price. Or maybe "Big Mac" is just gobbledygook.

https://pittsburgh.c...7388982507.html

• Mr Magoo, mdowns, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#56 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 03 October 2021 - 06:55 PM

No 7" would cost that much from Orion unless it included some fancy mount. I would jump on the OC  OTA for $350.

Edited by CHASLX200, 03 October 2021 - 06:55 PM.

#57 MisterDan

MisterDan

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 03 October 2021 - 06:55 PM

C8 (Super C8?)    (EDIT:  actually, l don't think Supers came with 6x30s)

Grand Ledge, Michigan.

New seller - no (zero) rating - but it's a pick-up only listing.

Perhaps a few Orion eyepieces (black boxes), plus an Ultima of some sort (Barlow or eyepiece).

Maybe worth asking a few questions...

$400 Buy It Now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194406834144

Edited by MisterDan, 03 October 2021 - 06:58 PM.

#58 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 03 October 2021 - 07:35 PM

On that Tasco 7TE in Champaign.  If you notice it is a 60mm x 910mm scope.  It does not have the long drawtube.  The VB that it comes with can be unscrewed and a "vixen" style 1-1/4" VB can be used.  It looks in VG condition, and worth the price.

Usually the REG No 57500 is for a 7TE-5, and it would have the Styrofoam inserts.  I thought, a 7TE and a 7TE-2, like mine, didn't have Styrofoam inserts. So I'm not sure what's going on there.

Edited by Garyth64, 03 October 2021 - 07:41 PM.

#59 norvegicus

norvegicus

Ranger 4

Posted 03 October 2021 - 07:40 PM

On that Tasco 7TE in Champaign.  If you notice it is a 60mm x 910mm scope.  It does not have the long drawtube.  The VB that it comes with can be unscrewed and a "vixen" style 1-1/4" VB can be used.  It looks in VG condition, and worth the price.

It's a Royal Astro, correct?

#60 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 03 October 2021 - 07:42 PM

Yes, it is RAO

#61 JamesDuffey

JamesDuffey

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cedar Crest NM

Posted 03 October 2021 - 07:50 PM

I think that the mediocre optics are the least of the problems that scope has. 

#62 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 03 October 2021 - 08:25 PM

"Big Mac" Orion telescope for $500 near Pittsburgh. Not much info, but seller indicates they originally paid $2500.. could it be a 7" Maksutov? I can't think of any other Orion Maks that would have approached that price. Or maybe "Big Mac" is just gobbledygook.

It mentions the ‘carry bag’ and that makes me think it might be an Orion Argonaut Mak from the late ‘90s. Those were Russian and very good. I think Intes made them. If so, it would be worth what they’re asking. Especially if it’s in good shape.

• jkmccarthy likes this

#63 Piaget

Piaget

Viking 1

• Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 03 October 2021 - 09:10 PM

Questar on GW at $1300 , 2 days left. I understand that the quality of Questar is inherent with the brand , personally I cannot justify the amount to be expended without pictures of the lens to verify condition. Guess I am just an old cautious fuddy duddy ... https://www.shopgood.../Item/130922693

Edited by Piaget, 03 October 2021 - 09:17 PM.

#64 Ben H

Ben H

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 October 2021 - 09:49 PM

I don't see why you'd spend that kind of money and not get the mount. 

• Piaget likes this

#65 Piaget

Piaget

Viking 1

• Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 03 October 2021 - 09:57 PM

I agree & thought the same ...

I don't see why you'd spend that kind of money and not get the mount. 

#66 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Viking 1

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:01 PM

Questar on GW at $1300 , 2 days left. I understand that the quality of Questar is inherent with the brand , personally I cannot justify the amount to be expended without pictures of the lens to verify condition. Guess I am just an old cautious fuddy duddy ... https://www.shopgood.../Item/130922693

SGW prices get silly. You’ll see nice, complete samples from reputable sellers with good descriptions of the condition and performance languish here for months for less than what a questionable one will go for on there. 

• DouglasPaul likes this

#67 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Vostok 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:43 PM

[...]

It mentions the ‘carry bag’ and that makes me think it might be an Orion Argonaut Mak from the late ‘90s. Those were Russian and very good. I think Intes made them. If so, it would be worth what they’re asking. Especially if it’s in good shape.

See photo below courtesy of the Craigslist seller near Pittsburgh.  Aperture is 6-inches, but it's Synta (China) not Intes (Russia).   Includes the Orion SkyViewPro mount and tripod, cash & carry only.  I can't comment on the $2500 original cost, but for $500 it still sounds like a really good deal for anyone local who might be in the market for a relatively compact + portable scope for lunar and planetary etc.   CN / Astromart used prices are in the range $400 to $500 for the 150mm Synta OTAs, and a suitable EQ mount + tripod would run $150 to $200+ (plus shipping unless local).   Likewise the Craigslist ad says there are "extras" included in the package (probably the star diagonal shown, carry bag, possibly eyepieces as well, etc...).

Pitt-big-mac_6-inch-MCT_.jpeg

If I were local, I'd be extremely tempted .....

-- Jim

Edited by jkmccarthy, 03 October 2021 - 10:47 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#68 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 03 October 2021 - 11:17 PM

norvegicus posted:

Vixen Great Polaris with Skysensor 2000 PC

norvegicus

I replied:

From the listing:

"For the sake of shipping I separate the mount head and tripod.

I ask 750 for complete set of mount head + shipping (~80 to US) + PayPal fee. Option wooden tripod with hub for 100 + shipping."

This one of my pet peeves. I got into this hobby about 25 years. It used to the norm that the hub of a mount always went with the head. A particular hub is usually compatible with only one or a few mounts. But a lot of hubs use the similar sized attachment for legs. It the last 5 or so years I am seeing more and more hubs separated from the head. A naive buyer can get stuck trying to find the compatible hub. Sometimes hard to find. Smart buyers who do not have the right hub lying around are slow to buy hubless heads. (Great name for rock band?)

End of rant, but I hope someone selling mount is listening.

edited in ilalics

Update: The item sold, and the seller added the following to the listing at some time:

"I saw there are folks complaining about the hub not included in the mount head, so if that bothered you, hub can be included for free which will not increase shipping either. Welcome to contact me if you have any question."

I intend no ill-will, just making the buying and selling of used equipment a better transaction for all. angel2.gif

• norvegicus likes this

#69 reverse_syzygy

reverse_syzygy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 03 October 2021 - 11:27 PM

See photo below courtesy of the Craigslist seller near Pittsburgh.  Aperture is 6-inches, but it's Synta (China) not Intes (Russia).   Includes the Orion SkyViewPro mount and tripod, cash & carry only.  I can't comment on the $2500 original cost, but for $500 it still sounds like a really good deal for anyone local who might be in the market for a relatively compact + portable scope for lunar and planetary etc.   CN / Astromart used prices are in the range $400 to $500 for the 150mm Synta OTAs, and a suitable EQ mount + tripod would run $150 to $200+ (plus shipping unless local).   Likewise the Craigslist ad says there are "extras" included in the package (probably the star diagonal shown, carry bag, possibly eyepieces as well, etc...).

attachicon.gifPitt-big-mac_6-inch-MCT_.jpeg

-- Jim

I ... I am local.  Is this something I should inquire about?  I'm a neophyte here, but could swing that if it is a dramatic improvement over what I currently have. (see sig.)

• norvegicus and jkmccarthy like this

#70 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Vostok 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Posted 03 October 2021 - 11:56 PM

I ... I am local.  Is this something I should inquire about?  I'm a neophyte here, but could swing that if it is a dramatic improvement over what I currently have. (see sig.)

PM sent ... since the 150mm Orion isn't exactly considered a "Classic Telescope" yet.   Meanwhile, this shouldn't dissuade others with direct experience with this scope (or with the Orion Sky View Pro mount) from contacting reverse_syzygy directly as well.    (Also, thanks Ben H for posting the CL link ! - )

• reverse_syzygy likes this

#71 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 04 October 2021 - 05:20 AM

-- Jim

Yep, it’s not the Argonaut, but the upside is that it’s not the 150 either. That’s the earlier Synta 180mm (7”) Mak which still makes it a very good deal. They are currently retailing at just under $1300, (for the OTA).

#72 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 04 October 2021 - 05:43 AM

-- Jim

No way it was 2500 with that run of the mill mount.

• Terra Nova likes this

#73 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Skylab

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:41 AM

I'm communicating with him also on the 7 inch mak. It s a 7hr drive for me but would have to wait till the weekend. There's more good things not mentioned but will not shoot myself the foot here lol...

• Terra Nova likes this

#74 norvegicus

norvegicus

Ranger 4

Posted 04 October 2021 - 07:09 AM

If you want a 7" Mak, then yes, that's a nice one for a really good price.  The mount is adequate, not wonderful. 

It's also worth getting some better eyepieces if you get it.  I'd recommend SVBony gold line (~$35 each) or AstroTech Paradigm / BST Starguider (~$60 each) as the best bang for the buck.  I expect that scope came with a nice diagonal but that's a good upgrade often as well that can really wake up a nice scope (kit eyepieces and diagonals tend to be the least expensive the manufacturer can find)

Your little Dob should stay around as a grab and go, quick look scope.  It will benefit from the better eyepieces too.

(Based on my experience as a relative newb slightly further along on a similar progression as yours.  If I didn't already have a 9.25" SCT that cost alot more than that I'd be interested in a 7" Mak for sure.)

Edited by norvegicus, 04 October 2021 - 07:33 AM.

• reverse_syzygy likes this

#75 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 04 October 2021 - 07:27 AM

If you want a 7" Mak, then yes, that's a nice one for a really good price.  The mount is adequate, not wonderful. 

It's also worth getting some better eyepieces if you get it.  I'd recommend SVBony gold line (~$35 each) or AstroTech Paradigm / BST Starguider (~$60 each) as the best bang for the buck.

Your little Dob should stay around as a grab and go, quick look scope.  It will benefit from the better eyepieces too.

(Based on my experience as a relative newb slightly further along on a similar progression as yours.  If I didn't already have a 9.25" SCT that cost alot more than that I'd be interested in a 7" Mak for sure.)

I think that mount is barely adequate for a 7” Mak. That’s a substantial instrument, both weighty and something that requires some degree of dedication to get the most out of. It’s definitely not a grab and go and would require two hours minimum to reach thermal equilibrium on a good night in a temperate climate. Some of the thermal problems could be alleviated if the tube were properly wrapped in refletix as per instructions in the Cat forum. Otherwise, it would be best to keep it outside under a covered porch or something like that where temperatures would be close to ambient.

• norvegicus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics