•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Winter Star Party 2022 (Key West)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Dangerr

Nick Dangerr

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 30 September 2021 - 11:07 PM

Anybody else planning to go?

Registration was supposed to open 5 minutes ago (October 1 at 12:01 am EDT), but still hasn't opened.

#2 Napp

Napp

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 01 October 2021 - 08:20 AM

It’s open.  I’m going.

• Nick Dangerr likes this

#3 Nick Dangerr

Nick Dangerr

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 01 October 2021 - 10:32 AM

I have a question. I am considering camping at Wesumkee (in a tent) or getting a bed in one of the glamping tents at Sawyer. I do use a CPAP so electricity would be nice (but not crucial as long as I can recharge my battery during the day). The glamping tents claim to be air conditioned. I'm leaning toward camping at Wesumkee.  Any ideas or suggestions regarding which I should pick?

#4 Napp

Napp

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 01 October 2021 - 10:47 AM

I have a question. I am considering camping at Wesumkee (in a tent) or getting a bed in one of the glamping tents at Sawyer. I do use a CPAP so electricity would be nice (but not crucial as long as I can recharge my battery during the day). The glamping tents claim to be air conditioned. I'm leaning toward camping at Wesumkee.  Any ideas or suggestions regarding which I should pick?

There is power at Sawyer.  You can pitch your own tent there or stay in a glamping tent.  Unless something has changed there is no power at Wesumkee.  You would be depending on the kindness of attendees with generators to recharge your batteries.

• Nick Dangerr likes this

#5 NearVision

NearVision

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 01 October 2021 - 12:38 PM

How much is it? The only prices I could find without registering is for the glam tents.

Link please?

#6 Napp

Napp

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 01 October 2021 - 02:38 PM

How much is it? The only prices I could find without registering is for the glam tents.

Link please?

The only way I know to see prices is to fill out the registration form.  You don't have to submit it.

#7 lescher2

lescher2

Lift Off

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 01 October 2021 - 02:55 PM

Does anyone know, can you drive to your camp at Sawyer and unload your vehicle ? I know you need to move your vehicle out of the camping area but what exactly are the arrangements?

#8 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 01 October 2021 - 02:58 PM

I'll be giving the 2022 WSP a pass this year. 

1.  The land border crossings to the USA from Canada are closed  and are likely to remain so for several months yet, so I can't drive there with my telescope toys. 

2.  Far too many unknowns about masks and vaccinations among the attendees.  Not to mention the same worries about every motel, restaurant and rest stop I would need to use for the six travel days to get to and from the Keys...

Dave

• Dave Mitsky and ShaulaB like this

#9 Napp

Napp

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 01 October 2021 - 03:06 PM

Does anyone know, can you drive to your camp at Sawyer and unload your vehicle ? I know you need to move your vehicle out of the camping area but what exactly are the arrangements?

On the Wesumkee side you can park where you camp.  On the Sawyer side you have to drop off your stuff.  Someone who camps on that side needs to answer how close you can get to the campsites with vehicles.

• kenkolen and lescher2 like this

#10 Chuck Jennings

Chuck Jennings

Vostok 1

• Loc: Etna, OH

Posted 01 October 2021 - 03:28 PM

It’s been several years since I’ve attended the WSP and I’m not familiar with the changes since the hurricane. I’m registered at camp sawyer “with parking”. Does that mean I will still have to lug my gear? Thanks!

#11 kenkolen

kenkolen

Vostok 1

• Loc: Miami

Posted 02 October 2021 - 10:09 AM

At Sawyer you use a staging area and wheelbarrows to transport your gear

#12 GoFish

GoFish

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 02 October 2021 - 05:06 PM

First timer here. 

I successfully registered for Sawyer + parking, which I understand to mean “parking and tent camping at Sawyer.”

I did not see an option for tent camping at Wesumkee, only an RV option. But being able to park next to my tent at Wesumkee would be a huge plus for me. Anybody know how to make that happen?

I don’t need electric. I plan to use 100W solar panels to keep batteries charged. 

#13 Napp

Napp

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 02 October 2021 - 05:49 PM

First timer here. 

I successfully registered for Sawyer + parking, which I understand to mean “parking and tent camping at Sawyer.”

I did not see an option for tent camping at Wesumkee, only an RV option. But being able to park next to my tent at Wesumkee would be a huge plus for me. Anybody know how to make that happen?

I don’t need electric. I plan to use 100W solar panels to keep batteries charged. 

Just select Wesumkee camping.  Don’t select RV.  Parking just comes with it.  

• GoFish likes this

#14 GoFish

GoFish

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 02 October 2021 - 06:12 PM

Just select Wesumkee camping.  Don’t select RV.  Parking just comes with it.  

Many thanks!  Email sent to request that change. 

Edit:  change made. I’m now registered for Wesumkee. 

Edited by GoFish, 02 October 2021 - 11:37 PM.

• Napp likes this

#15 dan_hm

dan_hm

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 11 October 2021 - 06:18 PM

I've known about WSP for a long time now but I've never gone. Thinking about it this year. I'm looking at the forecast history on Clear Sky Charts and it doesn't look like January/February is that good. "CCD Imaging" is rated at 30% for January 16th to the end of the month, and it looks like there is acceptable cloud cover a little less than 60% of nights this time of year. Is this accurate from people who have gone in the past? I think WSP has only happened once in the last few years now so I guess it's harder to get a prediction.

#16 reddog1972

reddog1972

Messenger

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 11 October 2021 - 10:02 PM

I've known about WSP for a long time now but I've never gone. Thinking about it this year. I'm looking at the forecast history on Clear Sky Charts and it doesn't look like January/February is that good. "CCD Imaging" is rated at 30% for January 16th to the end of the month, and it looks like there is acceptable cloud cover a little less than 60% of nights this time of year. Is this accurate from people who have gone in the past? I think WSP has only happened once in the last few years now so I guess it's harder to get a prediction.

Just go... it's the most unique location you'll ever be at for a star party.  At the last WSP in 2020 we had four crystal clear nights from Monday to Thursday.... you're in flip flops on the beach, it gets dark by 530pm and you have 13 hrs of darkness.  You're 45 minutes from Key West.   There's SO much to do during the daytime.  AND you can see the Southern Skies.... Omega Centauri, Southern Cross, Eta Carina, the list goes on.... 

The only reason I'm not going this year is due to work conflicts... otherwise I'd be back in a heartbeat.

#17 Napp

Napp

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 11 October 2021 - 10:55 PM

I went in 2017, 2019 and 2020.  There were some iffy nights but also a lot of good ones.  Can anyone promise you how many good nights you’ll get at any site? No.  I will be there.  Wouldn’t miss it.  I can’t pass up the Keys and those wonderful southern objects.  Eta Carina calls…

• rsalva1 and t1duplex like this

#18 Mike Lockwood

Mike Lockwood

Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Usually in my optical shop

Posted 12 October 2021 - 10:52 AM

It's a tropical location, clouds drift through, form and then dissipate, etc.  Often it's a good excuse for taking a break until it clears again.

I've rarely, if ever, felt that I didn't get enough observing time in at WSP.  The often superb seeing and extra southern sky makes up for lots of things.

• JimMo, Napp and reddog1972 like this

#19 DeanS

DeanS

Aurora

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:09 PM

Wow, 2 people with an RV is $850 !!!  

Sure miss the old days. ;)

• AstroBruce likes this

#20 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----
  • Loc: Under a huge light dome

Posted 12 October 2021 - 04:13 PM

I'd say in 2022 probably not.

2023 is a definite maybe, but depends if I retire or not.

Last time in 2020 I contracted Covid either at the site or on the way home. Only had one day of feeling like carp. When tested a few months later I had the antibodies.

#21 AstroBruce

AstroBruce

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 October 2021 - 09:27 PM

Sure miss the old days. wink.gif

In 2020 I paid $970 for my family of four. The 2022 WSP is now $1450. I'm priced out this time. I've been to plenty of star parties. They usually run about $40 to $70. None of them charge a camping fee and none charge an RV fee on top of that. My trailer doesn't take up any more space than a tent and canopy would. We take showers in the trailer and use our own toilet. If anything, we are saving the hosts money by not using their facilities. I love the WSP. The hosts are great.

I will really miss seeing old friends. Someone really needs to justify to the attendees the high fees.

Bruce

• peleuba and DeanS like this

#22 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:09 AM

Sure miss the old days. wink.gif

Hi, Dean.  For comparison $300 for a single person with a car and a tent at Wesumkee....  And for this there seems not to be 120vac available?.... 

Dave

• DeanS likes this

#23 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: State College, Pa.

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:33 AM

In 2020 I paid $970 for my family of four. The 2022 WSP is now $1450. I'm priced out this time. I've been to plenty of star parties. They usually run about $40 to $70. None of them charge a camping fee and none charge an RV fee on top of that. My trailer doesn't take up any more space than a tent and canopy would. We take showers in the trailer and use our own toilet. If anything, we are saving the hosts money by not using their facilities. I love the WSP. The hosts are great.

I will really miss seeing old friends. Someone really needs to justify to the attendees the high fees.

Bruce

We stopped going for a few years until our sons were at school. They would have been charged full price from 15 to 18, if they'd come with us.

#24 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----
  • Loc: Under a huge light dome

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:27 PM

Compared to the price of a hotel room for a week in the Keys I guess you could call the WSP prices a bargain. Believe me, after the last two I attended the girl scout camp needs a lot of work which costs money, not so much at Camp Sawyer. I'm glad my little teardrop trailer gets a pass as it's actually smaller than most of the tents folks use. Anyways, $300 for a week camping on the ocean with a awesome southern view is really a great deal. I'm looking forward to 2023. 

• turtle86, kenkolen and reddog1972 like this

#25 Chucky

Chucky

Apollo

Posted 14 October 2021 - 08:02 AM

I just go to relaxing and stress free Chiefland Astronomy Village, Florida in March and pay a very, very small tent fee.  Show up whenver as no advance reservation is needed.  That's it.  And then drive a few times over to nearby Cedar Key for a sandwich and a few brews.  Nice view of the ocean and palms.

I've been to WSP and of course it's awesome.  But for me as it is now....WSP is too far, and too expensive.  The good thing is folks have 2 nice choices in Florida.

Edited by Chucky, 14 October 2021 - 08:09 AM.

• Joe F Gafford, JimMo and dmdouglass like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics