•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Celestron Skymaster 15x70 or Oberwerk 15x70

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2004 - 12:03 PM

Well Kenny, his last post did not specifically state that. I would then be forced to ASSUME this was still the case. It is always best in such email forums as this regarding trouble shooting to not let anyone assume anything...in other words, one shouldn't be ambiguous.

and my childhood hero was Darth Vader...

#27 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 19 May 2004 - 12:16 PM

I am considering purchasing one of these but need some help. Searching I see lots of overlaping comments but no thread that was a direct comparison. Amazon has the Skymaster for $67 shipped. Best price for the Oberwerk that I can find is $157. I understand that the Oberwerk's can be colliminated if needed by me but I can't find anything on the Skymaster. I would love to hear your experiences with these.

Thanks in advance, Ron

I would spend another $8 bucks and order from www.digitecoptical.com

Ever hear of refurb's
Factory returns need to be resold from somewhere...

#28 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 May 2004 - 12:22 PM

Hmmmm....the case of the Unwanted Reflection. What would Christopher Lee do in this situation? Could it be the sinister work of Dr. TDE or was one of the coatings kidnpped and being held for ransom in the basement of a Taiwanese Camera store?

#29 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2004 - 12:25 PM

That's what I was thinking Craig, reflection...

#30 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 May 2004 - 12:31 PM

Perhaps the Oberwerk reflection test will reveal the cause. Maybe there's some unpainted metal in the tube catching the light.

#31 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 19 May 2004 - 01:10 PM

You've read it lot's of places, but it is incorrect.

edz

#32 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2004 - 05:11 PM

Received them today. Very impressed with OpticPlanet. They shipped on the same day of order. Box was a little crushed but the internal packing did its job. Now let's see what the forecast is in my area tonight: Partly Cloudy with 70% humidity. At least thats better then when the telescope arrived.

Thanks for the help, Ron

#33 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2004 - 08:42 PM

I got my Celestron SkyMasters 15x70 in the mail yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I unscrewed the plug for the tripod adapter and mounted the binoculars to my camera tripod.
The all rubber coating surface is comfortable. Most of all I like the rubber collapsible eye cups.
I guess the price at Amazon went up, even so the $69.95 price is only $10 dollars more than I paid for the 10x50 Bushnell's I bought over 25 years ago. The 15x70 weigh 3 pounds, If your used to the 10x50's size, 15x70's aren't that much different to use free hand.
I think the are a fine value and 5 Stars to the ease of use for those of us that wear glasses. I had to take them off with the Bushnell Sportview.

Good Luck,
Den

#34 werewolf6977

werewolf6977

Lord High Smasher

Posted 23 May 2004 - 07:32 AM

Den,

Glad to see someone else thinks like me. Clear Dark Skies to you!! Pete

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics