•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Build-Your-Own C-14 Focuser

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 redfordg

redfordg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2021 - 08:01 AM

I couldn't find an off the shelf EFocuser for my C14 (pre-2006), so I built my own which allows for Hand Held Focusing control and/or USB remote focusing. No mechanical modifications are required to the telescope.I wanted to make this available free to my fellow Astronomy geeks. My only hope is that it will help someone. Shame to go through all of this and not share it.

Click here to view the article
  • Benschop likes this

#2 PiotrM

PiotrM

Skylab

• Loc: Poland

Posted 01 October 2021 - 08:30 AM

Use github for the code, plus the code wasn't formatted here properly so like includes are not properly displayed.

For PyQt use QtDesigner to have an UI file to cut down all those lines of widget creation.

• kevinlowen and Tribe_Of_Dan like this

#3 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:54 PM

PERFECT !  Nice work !! 

Thank you for your contributions to the community this is awesome and flexible..

Clear Skies !!

#4 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• Loc: Chicago Suburbs, USA

Posted 02 October 2021 - 11:05 PM

Hi Gary, very nice work, well organized and professionally done, thank you!

Could you comment on how the mechanical base assembly would have to be resized for a smaller scope, say a C8?,

thanks again!

SteveS

• kevinlowen likes this

#5 Aaron Small

Aaron Small

Vostok 1

Posted 04 October 2021 - 07:11 PM

Great job, Gary.  Looks like your hardware could be 3d printed.  Have any files to share?  How about your aluminum bracket?  Wiring diagram for your HC?  Other than time, how much do you think you have in materials?  Just trying to compare to other solutions.

#6 Tribe_Of_Dan

Tribe_Of_Dan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 October 2021 - 08:34 AM

Great work!

#7 redfordg

redfordg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2021 - 10:16 AM

Use github for the code, plus the code wasn't formatted here properly so like includes are not properly displayed.

For PyQt use QtDesigner to have an UI file to cut down all those lines of widget creation.

#8 redfordg

redfordg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2021 - 10:18 AM

You are correct.  SW is not one of my strong suits and there are probably better / easier ways to do the code.  I just "brut forced" it.  So, if I can do it, I'm sure that many of you can do a more elegant job!

#9 redfordg

redfordg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2021 - 10:20 AM

Great job, Gary.  Looks like your hardware could be 3d printed.  Have any files to share?  How about your aluminum bracket?  Wiring diagram for your HC?  Other than time, how much do you think you have in materials?  Just trying to compare to other solutions.

#10 redfordg

redfordg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2021 - 10:31 AM

Hi Aaron,

Look at the link for the technical data package.  The folder contains all of the engineering documentation, including wiring diagrams / tables (look at the the specific assembly drawings) and the complete parts list.  I also have included STL files for the 3D printed covers.  I don't recommend a printed baseplate, unless redesigned.  I think that there is too much angular torque from the offset pulleys.  Al can handle that nicely.

#11 redfordg

redfordg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2021 - 10:35 AM

Hi Gary, very nice work, well organized and professionally done, thank you!

Could you comment on how the mechanical base assembly would have to be resized for a smaller scope, say a C8?,

thanks again!

SteveS

Hi Steve, Gave my C8 away to my kids and don't have it to look at to specifically answer your question.  I think that the fundamental engineering is the same.  You would just need to look at the interface.

#12 redfordg

redfordg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2021 - 10:37 AM

You are correct.  SW is not one of my strong suits and there are probably better / easier ways to do the code.  I just "brut forced" it.  So, if I can do it, I'm sure that many of you can do a more elegant job!

#13 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 06 October 2021 - 09:42 PM

I have a 11 EdgeHD and I wish I had known about this before 2020. I currently use a Celestron focus motor which is nice, but your solution is nifty.

Hope your very detailed instructions are used often.

#14 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Viking 1

• Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 09 October 2021 - 03:17 PM

This is fantastic work!  I haven't downloaded everything but you've obviously got an engineering background and I'll assume it's all as rock solid as the documentation you provided in this post!  While I don't have a C14, your project has inspired me to do something similar for the 4SE that I do own, and maybe make one for a friend with a 6SE.

#15 psuaero

psuaero

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ellicott City, MD

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:36 AM

Great job on a very worthwhile project!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics