•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

newbie needing help please

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sandisk

sandisk

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 October 2021 - 10:46 AM

i was given a Zennox 900/60  Refractor Telescope but there was a lot of dust particles

on the inner parts of the front lens glasses, now for the bad bit i un-screwed the plastic ring that hold the lenses in place

the first lens dropped out onto a cloth easy then a very thin plastic spacer the lens behind it was tight but did come out 

the front lens was thinner in thickness than the one behind it.

stupidly now i don't know what way round they go when putting them back in.

i know the thicker of the two goes in first but i don't know what way the crown curved parts go on the lenses

any help would be really kind

thanks 

ps just like to say hello, nice to be here and get some good help and advice on the forum  

• Sky Muse likes this

#2 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 02 October 2021 - 01:00 PM

Hello, and welcome.

This is your kit I believe...

https://thumbs.worth...13aa6f178f3.jpg

This is the order for achromatic doublets...

doublet order.jpg

The crown element, at the front, is convex on both sides.  The more pronounced, steeper, curved side is generally placed against the flint element below it, and with the spacing-ring between the two elements.  But with doublets of longer focal-length telescopes, it can be very difficult, particularly with a 60/900, to notice which side is more curved, steeper.  That's why I've noted within the image above that you can flip the crown to find out which side gives the best views.  You will see a difference when comparing the two sides of the crown element.

I have a 60/900 myself, or should I say rather, of course I do...

60mm f15 Tanzutsu achromatic doublet2.jpg

• vtornado, sevenofnine and DAG792 like this

#3 sandisk

sandisk

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:29 PM

thanks cosmos i will give that a try and let you know how i get on with it

i think i got a h8 and h20 eye piece and an angled 45degree part with a mirror in it

am i right in saying the thicker lens is the flint ?

also i noticed the threaded  part that secures the lenses in place does not screw all the way down when tightened against the crown lens

it that correct ?

Edited by sandisk, 02 October 2021 - 07:50 PM.

• Sky Muse likes this

#4 sandisk

sandisk

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:25 AM

put it all back together everything fitted back in ok

thanks cosmos for you help.

the only thing i need to sort out now is the tripod that came with it 

the weight on the rod near the tripod legs catches the leg even if i move the weight up or down

this stops full use of the time dial on the tripod

i don't know if the previous owner has put it together correct

i have no manuals for the scope or tripod

its' an Equatorial Mount that came with the 900/60 zennox 

thanks again

Edited by sandisk, 03 October 2021 - 02:05 PM.

• Sky Muse likes this

#5 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:19 AM

That's an EQ1-class mount.  I have one myself.  This 70/900 is mounted onto my own...

SC12c.jpg

But I had thrown those two together.  They did not come together within a single kit.  The wooden legs did not come with that mount-head, either.

These are manuals for the Celestron 60/900 EQ-1 kit...

https://celestron-si...G_5lang_Web.pdf

https://s3.amazonaws...rseekerinst.pdf

#6 JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Panama City Beach, FL

Posted 04 October 2021 - 10:00 AM

the weight on the rod near the tripod legs catches the leg even if i move the weight up or down

this stops full use of the time dial on the tripod

I have an old Tasco 60/900 scope and it's one of my favorite telescopes for looking at the moon. It's a cool little scope and a lot of fun to use. 60/900 scopes are very underrated in my opinion.

The counterweight is probably hitting the tripod legs because the latitude isn't set. Right above where the legs connect to the mount you should see a knob and a little scale going from 0 to 90. Depending on the mount, some have an extra screw adjustment in the back for holding it in position or making fine adjustments. I'm guessing it's set for 0 which is why the counterweight is hitting the legs. To use the scope in equatorial mode, you'll need to loosen the knob and move it until it's set for your latitude (about 30 degrees for me), which you can probably look up on Google if you don't know it. It doesn't have to be perfect, just reasonably close. There might be a screw on the bottom side of the mount you cal loosen that will allow you to rotate the whole assembly on the tripod so you can get the counterweight in between the legs in a position where it doesn't hit them anymore.

After that you just turn the whole tripod and mount around until it's pointing vaguely north and you're good to go. The time dial measures what's called Right Ascension. There's another little set of markings just below the telescope tube itself measuring Declination. Right Ascension and Declination are the coordinate system used for marking the position of things in the sky. Theoretically you can look up the coordinates for something and use the dials on your scope to find that object. In practice it's pretty hard to do, especially since it's hard to read the small scales on scopes like these with much precision. I don't use them except as a novelty to play around with for exercising my brain. There are much easier ways to find things to see. I highly recommend the book Turn Left at Orion (4th or 5th editions) for finding hundreds of things to see that are within the capabilities of a 60mm scope. Obviously, you can see more detail with with a larger scope but there are a surprising number of things that are visible with a 60mm scope, especially if you can get our to reasonably dark skies now and then.

If you find it hard to wrap your head around using the mount in equatorial mode, you should also be able to set the latitude adjustment to 90 which will make the counterweight stick straight out to the side. That way you can use a more intuitive up-down-left-right movement system for the scope that may be easier to get started with. Once I learned to use an equatorial mount I fell in love with the concept and never wanted to use any other kind of mount.

#7 sandisk

sandisk

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 October 2021 - 10:32 AM

what is the best goto remote telescope to buy for a beginner

i found the tripod i have has some play in it allowing the telescope to move up/down and side to side even when locked with the screws

so making it hard to fix on a subject

thanks 

#8 vtornado

vtornado

Skylab

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 07 October 2021 - 10:55 AM

Hello Sandisk and welcome to the forum!

I have the skywatcher az-gti.  I am happy with it.

Compared to your scope it is expensive at around $425.00

It is not too big,  and handles a reasonable sized telescope.

It allows for manual movement of the mount without batteries, although not buttery smooth.

Gotos require some knowledge about the sky because it will ask you to slew to

some bright objects to do the initial alignment.

You may have to buy tube rings and a dovetail to get your scope to attach to it.

If you are handy you can make your own coupler with a wood block and hose clamps.

Edited by vtornado, 07 October 2021 - 10:57 AM.

#9 Mitchell M.

Mitchell M.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mountains of Western NC

Posted 07 October 2021 - 02:46 PM

Re: counter weight hitting tripod leg; you may need to orient one of the tripod's leg to point south to obtain the clearance needed (or north depending upon which hemisphere you're in; North, point south, South, point north).

Also, as been mentioned, your latitude may not be set right.

#10 PrisMATT

PrisMATT

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 October 2021 - 01:58 PM

We found a refractor in my Dad's closet (an old Jason scope) and the telescope on the mount would sag

no matter how tight you would tighten all the screws and wingnuts.    

Very frustrating.   Hard to find targets and with a non-cooperative scope. Could not deal with it.  Don't fight it.  Get a different mount.    

#11 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:41 AM

what is the best goto remote telescope to buy for a beginner

i found the tripod i have has some play in it allowing the telescope to move up/down and side to side even when locked with the screws

so making it hard to fix on a subject

thanks 

Are you wanting a go-to mount only, and for your 60/900 achromat?

Or, are you wanting a new telescope that comes with a go-to mount?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics