•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade DS-16 barn find

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 jdeitch

jdeitch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 October 2021 - 08:57 PM

Newbie’s 1st post; thanks for the addition!  My wife and I just rescued a Meade DS-16 from a Maryland barn.  I plan to restore the telescope over the winter.  I will be sending the mirror to Spectrum Coatings for a complete makeover.  I will be leaning heavily on you all for information and advice during the restoration process.

Does anyone have the original manual, brochure or other documentation they can share?

Thanks in advance,

Jeffrey

B13CB68A-E7DC-41E6-A448-6285ACAB7006.jpeg

Edited by jdeitch, 02 October 2021 - 08:58 PM.

• Diego, Ptarmigan, tim53 and 10 others like this

#2 Benschop

Benschop

Messenger

• Loc: Eastern Ontario

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:18 PM

Nice that you will be restoring this scope, rather than scrapping it.

Personally I do not have experience with this model, however I will check my archived info from that era, if I come upon any relevent manuals, I will send them your way.  

• Rick-T137 and jdeitch like this

#3 Ben H

Ben H

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 October 2021 - 10:19 PM

I don't have a manual for the DS-16, but I would refer you to this thread that has a lot of tips, tricks and tidbits of info on these scopes

https://www.cloudyni...s-10-and-ds-16/

• Bomber Bob and jdeitch like this

#4 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 03 October 2021 - 02:57 AM

Most of these tubes have disappeared because the optics were removed and placed in more ergonomic structures. The optical tube is one of the heaviest vintage scope tubes around.  Yours looks to be in very nice original blue condition with the decal. It would be great to see one preserved for posterity but find a good medical back brace to work on it, or use it if you have to put the tube on and off that mount. 

• icomet, Bomber Bob, Augustus and 1 other like this

#5 YourNotSirius

YourNotSirius

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Somewhere in New Hampshire

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:28 AM

Where do people find these things?! It's not fair! DRAT!

Those DS-16 scopes always get cut up and turned into "DOBs". ARRRRGH! Please, keep this one original! Yes, the OTA can be a bit awkward but, it's not something that you see anymore.

Those DS-16 mounts were actually pretty decent. However, they were well challenged by this monster OTA. IF they had been supplied with 2.0" or even 2.5" axles then things may have gone better for them. I can state from personal experience that those mounts handle 6" f/15 refractors with ease. My old man loves those for use on his 6" f/5 Jeagers and other refractors.

If you can handle the weight and all then you will have a really great scope. As long as the optics are good, you're in like Flint! LOL

Good choice by going with Spectrum. They serviced some Cave optics for us recently and we could not be happier.

Now, about that being so darn lucky part....!

Q

• jdeitch likes this

#6 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:39 AM

No way i would wanna lift that OTA.

#7 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 03 October 2021 - 12:26 PM

I used to have a pristine  light blue  DS-16. It's  gone now.

I got a scope instead that should  move about easier. 

It has "transportable" in the scope's model name.  grin.gif 

Nice find, and I hope you have fun restoring and observing. 

Clear Skies. 

• Mr Magoo and jdeitch like this

#8 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 October 2021 - 02:38 PM

Where do people find these things?! It's not fair! DRAT!

Those DS-16 scopes always get cut up and turned into "DOBs". ARRRRGH! Please, keep this one original! Yes, the OTA can be a bit awkward but, it's not something that you see anymore.

Those DS-16 mounts were actually pretty decent. However, they were well challenged by this monster OTA. IF they had been supplied with 2.0" or even 2.5" axles then things may have gone better for them. I can state from personal experience that those mounts handle 6" f/15 refractors with ease. My old man loves those for use on his 6" f/5 Jeagers and other refractors.

If you can handle the weight and all then you will have a really great scope. As long as the optics are good, you're in like Flint! LOL

Good choice by going with Spectrum. They serviced some Cave optics for us recently and we could not be happier.

Now, about that being so darn lucky part....!

Q

You hit on all the right matching words so from the beginning:

People find these things by them popping up. You don't want to know what I paid for the 17.5" red one. Same construction as the DS-16.

No need to cut them up to turn them into dobs. It is a minimally intrusive operation. Just add trunions. The red one is a dob.

The DS16 mounts are actually pretty decent. Yep and same design as the restored RG shown on the right. You mentioned 6" refractors both F15 and F5. The mount shown is handling a 6" F8, right in the middle along with a 60mm piggy. The refractor combination is actually too light for these mounts. I had to find smaller counterweights. The mount still gives a bit heavy feel in use with this light a payload. 

The optics are usually good, the OP should be in like Flint (very fun movies, classic).

I haven't tried Spectrum yet.

You still don't want to know about the luck on catching the 17.5".

The GEM under the red tube is capable of handling the red tube...when it gets done (a true dangling participle, Yogi).

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010005.JPG

Edited by apfever, 03 October 2021 - 02:53 PM.

• Mr Magoo, Jim T, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#9 DS-16A

DS-16A

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 04 October 2021 - 12:50 PM

I have the original manual and a few other docs, if you are still interested in them.

• mdowns, Benschop and jdeitch like this

#10 JamesDuffey

JamesDuffey

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cedar Crest NM

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:35 PM

"You still don't want to know about the luck on catching the 17.5"."

Did my post help?

• jdeitch likes this

#11 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:23 PM

I have nearly all the parts to make one of those except the tube. However the DS-16 I have was modified under Barry Griner's directions to include a Byers 11.3" RA drive so I could carry a 6" f15. The Meade 16 optics came from a later Meade Dob and then I acquired a NightSky truss Dob kit designed for the Meade optics. Also got a set of the commercial/DIY wooden rotating rings for one of these for use on a DS-16. As much as I like GEMs I would still doo a truss Dob like I have. Or put it on a beefier mount like a Schaefer AT-9 or larger. AT-9 can carry that Coulter 17.5 with no sweat. I have one of those also. DS-16A has ball bearings in the RA axis, DS-16 does not. Sort of like early Cave's vs. later ones.

Edited by photoracer18, 04 October 2021 - 06:25 PM.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#12 jdeitch

jdeitch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:27 PM

I have the original manual and a few other docs, if you are still interested in them.

Yes please! I’m very interested. Thanks in advance.

#13 jdeitch

jdeitch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:40 PM

We found some time today to clean everything up a bit. The scope

looks 100% better with just some elbow grease.

i was also pleasantly surprised to find the inner tubes in wheels on the custom made cart still held air. 

Attached Thumbnails

• D035499F-EB31-4185-BE74-B3DED42A78CD.jpeg

Edited by jdeitch, 04 October 2021 - 06:46 PM.

• paul, Mr Magoo, mdowns and 5 others like this

#14 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Soyuz

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:58 PM

Good luck  welcome aboard  you have come to the right place 

Nice find..... I really like the major dolly with those inner tube tires

If it were to be set up on that dolly in say a garage  and one could roll it out into hopefully some window of opportunity for easy seeing    then that might make it easier    not easy but easier

Keep us posted    

• jdeitch likes this

#15 DS-16A

DS-16A

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 04 October 2021 - 07:00 PM

Yes please! I’m very interested. Thanks in advance.

I'll gather up all that I have, make copies and/or scan,  and let you know when it's all together.

• Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and jdeitch like this

#16 jdeitch

jdeitch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 October 2021 - 07:01 PM

I'll gather up all that I have, make copies and/or scan,  and let you know when it's all together.

Thank yo so much! 

#17 YourNotSirius

YourNotSirius

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Somewhere in New Hampshire

Posted 04 October 2021 - 11:12 PM

You hit on all the right matching words so from the beginning:

People find these things by them popping up. You don't want to know what I paid for the 17.5" red one. Same construction as the DS-16.

No need to cut them up to turn them into dobs. It is a minimally intrusive operation. Just add trunions. The red one is a dob.

The DS16 mounts are actually pretty decent. Yep and same design as the restored RG shown on the right. You mentioned 6" refractors both F15 and F5. The mount shown is handling a 6" F8, right in the middle along with a 60mm piggy. The refractor combination is actually too light for these mounts. I had to find smaller counterweights. The mount still gives a bit heavy feel in use with this light a payload. 

The optics are usually good, the OP should be in like Flint (very fun movies, classic).

I haven't tried Spectrum yet.

You still don't want to know about the luck on catching the 17.5".

The GEM under the red tube is capable of handling the red tube...when it gets done (a true dangling participle, Yogi).

The number 1 key apparently took a time out when I was typing. ALL but one of our 6" refractors are f/15. There is one that is f/10. Ooopsie! LOL

You are correct. I would probably get even more envious if I knew the details of the 17.5" red tube. LOL

The OPs scope cleaned up nicely. The balloon tires make moving such things much easier. I just wish that they would offer those on roll away took cabinets! The hard rubber ones are horrible, noisy and bounce my tools all over in the drawers! Oh well.

Q

#18 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 05 October 2021 - 05:45 AM

We found some time today to clean everything up a bit. The scope

looks 100% better with just some elbow grease.

i was also pleasantly surprised to find the inner tubes in wheels on the custom made cart still held air. 

I would need a big door to roll that out. I just don't see one person putting that OTA into them tiny holes in the saddle.

• jdeitch likes this

#19 jdeitch

jdeitch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:30 AM

I would need a big door to roll that out. I just don't see one person putting that OTA into them tiny holes in the saddle.

Agreed. One person assembly would not be advised. OTA & mirror assembly is physically too big for one person to manage, even if they could lift the weight.  This scope came with a custom made cart which allows it to be moved while completely assembled. Entire unit will live in a spare garage with an electric garage door. Scope + cart is about the size of quad or small compact car. 

Edited by jdeitch, 05 October 2021 - 07:33 AM.

• Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#20 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 October 2021 - 12:24 PM

I met an American Amateur up at the 1985 Mt. Kobau Star Party in Aug. of 1985. He had tricked out his DS 16 by fixing up the mirror and converting the nose cone so that it rotated. WOW, that really made for comfortable viewing. It was one of the nicest 16"ers I ever looked thru.

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• mdowns, Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#21 jdeitch

jdeitch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2021 - 12:49 PM

I met an American Amateur up at the 1985 Mt. Kobau Star Party in Aug. of 1985. He had tricked out his DS 16 by fixing up the mirror and converting the nose cone so that it rotated. WOW, that really made for comfortable viewing. It was one of the nicest 16"ers I ever looked thru.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Converted nose cone? What does this mean?  The mount could turn 360 degrees on the pedestal?

#22 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 October 2021 - 01:09 PM

Converted nose cone? What does this mean?  The mount could turn 360 degrees on the pedestal?

The end of the optical tube could rotate to let the focuser be repositioned, while the rest of the tube remained fixed. 

• Mr Magoo, mdowns, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#23 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 October 2021 - 04:44 PM

Yes, Apfever has it on the nose. The top 1.5ft (about 0.45 metres) could rotate independantly on it's own, while the rest of the tube kept it's collimation, not an easy thing to do. He did an amazing job on it and it was a thing of beauty. I'm not sure if he ordered the seal-master ball bearings but the own thing worked very well, If anyone out thing had a DS 16 with the seal-master ball bearings, I would love to know if they really made that much difference.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• Defenderslideguitar and jdeitch like this

#24 jdeitch

jdeitch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2021 - 07:33 PM

Yes, Apfever has it on the nose. The top 1.5ft (about 0.45 metres) could rotate independantly on it's own, while the rest of the tube kept it's collimation, not an easy thing to do. He did an amazing job on it and it was a thing of beauty. I'm not sure if he ordered the seal-master ball bearings but the own thing worked very well, If anyone out thing had a DS 16 with the seal-master ball bearings, I would love to know if they really made that much difference.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

I would be interested to see this setup. Are the parts still available?

#25 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 October 2021 - 01:39 AM

Jdeitch, I'm afraid parts are not available...not anywhere. He designed the entire system himself and everthing was DIY homemade. Which is pretty incredible, when you think of it. Because no-matter where the upper tube was turned it never lost collimstion. And no, I'm afraid I do not remember his name...only that he was from Bellingham, Wash.

Clear skies and keep looing up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics