•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meades RG eyepieces/ Meade 826C reflector

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:50 AM

Beside myself, who else uses Meades RG eyepieces on this classic 8" f/6 equatorial reflector? I use the 7mm, 10.5mm and 16.8mm orthos along with the 20mm erfle. The orthos provide very sharp images while the erfle suffers somewhat at the other edges of view due to the mirrors f/6. The erfle works great in longer focal length telescopes.

#2 chascar

chascar

Messenger

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:25 AM

I use Meade 628 6" f/8 and have 7 and 9 mm RG orthos and 12.5 and 25 MA that originally came with it plus a bunch of others my all time Fav has to be my 32mm TV pl.

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:39 AM

My collection is void of the Meade RGs but orthowise, I have been quite happy with the standard Japanese Meade Orthos plus a 40mm MA in my RV-6's. I have the full set, 25mm, 18mm, 12.5mm, 9mm, 6mm and 4mm. When the scope is cooled down and the seeing good, these really do provide crisp views...

I would like to have a few RG's to go along with my 12.5 inch RG but I have a hard time paying the money they cost when I already have some pretty decent eyepieces.

Oh well...

jon

#4 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:11 PM

" orthowise " :roflmao: thats a good one, I love puns :grin:

#5 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:36 PM

Jon I will trade you my RG eyepieces for your 12.5" RG reflector. Was that a "NO" I heard over 2300 miles away! Oh well I tried....

#6 tybee

tybee

Ranger 4

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

My collection is void of the Meade RGs but orthowise, I have been quite happy with the standard Japanese Meade Orthos plus a 40mm MA in my RV-6's. I have the full set, 25mm, 18mm, 12.5mm, 9mm, 6mm and 4mm. When the scope is cooled down and the seeing good, these really do provide crisp views...

I would like to have a few RG's to go along with my 12.5 inch RG but I have a hard time paying the money they cost when I already have some pretty decent eyepieces.

Oh well...

jon

Jon,

I've got a full set of the Meade Japanese Ortho's (the Series II) and a full set of the RG Ortho's and there's really a big difference between them. I also have a near full set of the Pentax SMC Orthos and the Meade RG Orthos are right there with them. In my opinion they're a bargain for the price they're going for.

If you've got a 12.5 RG Reflector it really deserves the RG Ortho's.

#7 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:11 PM

I don't have a Meade 8" reflector but I do have two Meade RG eyepieces I have been working with, a Meade 7mm RG ortho and RG 20mm Erfle. I have been working with them in a vintage (Celstron Pacific) C5. Last night I was out with the C5 looking at the slightly past half moon comparing the Meade RG 20 Erfle to a vintage Celestron 20mm Erfle. Guess what? No comparison. The Celestron 20mm circle T blew the Meade, so-called RG, 20mm Erfle away, big time! Interestingly this Celestron 20mm Erfle is well used and no where near pristine, but the glass is very good. I'm talking a very noticeable difference. There was the moon, white and bright as can be, earth shine on the non-illuminated side of the moon clearly evident in the Celestron, but not so evident in the Meade. But what really surprised me was the contrast difference between the two. Viewing through the Celestron Erfle the edge of the moon from white to black was just that, a distinct cut at the moon's limb. Bright white to the dead black background of space. The Meade was rather disappointing in that respect. It was bright white of the moon to a charcoal gray space background, rather poor in terms of contrast between black and white. And absolutely nothing changed other than the eyepieces.

Research grade or just more hype from years past?

I’ve got a Meade RG 7mm ortho and RG 20mm Erfle for sale if anyone is interested.

Don

#8 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:27 AM

The 10.5mm and 16.8mm RG Orthos are outstanding eyepieces in the 8'' Meade 826C or 2.4" Montgomery Wards refractor. I like to barlow them in the 8" at 2.5x. The 7mm RG I use mostly in the 60mm refractor. It gives me 100x of very sharp images and high light transmission. The 20mm RG Erfle is used of course for wide angle views,but I have a 20mm Celestron flat-top Kellner with its 3-elements that makes its way into the focuser quite often. The 20mm RG seems to like longer focal telescopes such as a 6"f/8 reflector or 76mm=d 1200mm=fl refractor I sold recently.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics