•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bausch and Lomb 60mm

Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jaylab

Jaylab

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2021 - 05:55 PM

I am looking for information regarding my brass ota, it looks to be about 100 years old with a white painted tube and black painted cell, focuser and 1.100 diameter eyepiece about 17mm fl. I have the tube cradle/altitude trunion but no mount. It weighs 8.5 pounds! It closely resembles an 80mm pictured in a thread on this forum discussing value, but lacks an erecting system.

Mechanically and optically it is 100% but could use a good cleaning.

I'd love to find an old catalog entry and if anyone has any suggestions about how to clean the air spaced objective and refinish the white tube and black painted parts that would be super.

Thanks,  -Jay-

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 05 October 2021 - 06:37 PM

Photos? 

• mdowns and Jaylab like this

#3 Sky King

Sky King

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 05 October 2021 - 06:38 PM

+1 Post some pictures would be good: Reply, More Reply Options, Attach Files, Choose File, Attach this file, Add to Post, Add Reply, - Must be under 500 kb, Use Paint to Resize to < 500kb if needed.

• mdowns and Jaylab like this

#4 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 05 October 2021 - 06:41 PM

I have a pdf file with 6 pages from a 1932 B&L catalogue listing this series of scopes with some other discussion. I have the 4" version complete with mount, box, and accessories. The lens is excellent. 

This is the first of the 6 pages. The 60mm is listed on a price page. I'm not sure of the rules for posting the set of pictures here, but they are about 90 years old on the practical side for infringement.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (49) - Copy.jpg

Edited by apfever, 05 October 2021 - 07:02 PM.

• steve t, RichA, mdowns and 5 others like this

#5 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:08 PM

and now for page two, I'll stop here with the Paul Harvey comment. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (50).jpg

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#6 Jaylab

Jaylab

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2021 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the replies, I will post some photos and apfever, I really appreciate you showing me those two pages.

It certainly is a nicely built scope, the focuser is very smooth with almost no backlash.

-Jay-

#7 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 October 2021 - 09:22 PM

upright.jpg because I should. It's an invetory from posterity. 

I love everything about this from the folded upper left corner mystery to the "...plaything". REally?? I feel giddy. 

oh this bites, I can't get it 'right'. sorry

CLICK THE IMAGE, it is then upright.

Jay, click your private messages. You should have all 6. They look good except the third is still, and ONLY one, sideways. 

I have discovered the third image is upright everywhere on Earth - except here.

Edited by apfever, 05 October 2021 - 11:07 PM.

• DreamWeaver, steve t, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#8 Jaylab

Jaylab

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 October 2021 - 11:42 AM

apfever thank you for all your trouble. I have looked and looked (even had my spies in Rochester on the case) and had zero results.

Can you tell me how I can save these wonderful documents? I click on the image and see a new screen with a black background, and the save button in the lower left corner. I click on it and then can't find the image anywhere on my drive.

I took the 60mm out for a quick photo session and discovered it has a tan tube, not white! I'm wondering if this is the original color?

Thanks everybody for all the help.  -Jay-

Attached Thumbnails

• 85AB0076.jpg
  • 85AB0078_83.jpg
  • 85AB0084_92.jpg
  • 85AB0077.jpg

• steve t, RichA, mdowns and 4 others like this

#9 Ben H

Ben H

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 October 2021 - 12:05 PM

Can you tell me how I can save these wonderful documents? I click on the image and see a new screen with a black background, and the save button in the lower left corner. I click on it and then can't find the image anywhere on my drive.

Try Right Click > Save Image As

• Jaylab likes this

#10 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 October 2021 - 01:16 PM

The tube looks like it was much whiter at one time. The white paint has a porous chalky feel and is prone to contamination. It is common for the paint to fail and fall off the tube. Mine is fairly white but has always had the original box for storage protection. 

• steve t likes this

#11 Jaylab

Jaylab

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 October 2021 - 11:27 AM

I made an adapter to accommodate 'modern' 1.25-in diameter oculars out of some aluminum I had lying around, and the scope is performing nicely. Artificial stars from distant insulators produce a good pattern.

Guess the next logical step is to refinish.

Thanks for the help.

-Jay- 

Attached Thumbnails

• 85AB0093_98.jpg
  • 85AB0099_13.jpg

• steve t, Marc-Andre, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#12 RichA

RichA

Skylab

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 08 October 2021 - 02:00 PM

The tube looks like it was much whiter at one time. The white paint has a porous chalky feel and is prone to contamination. It is common for the paint to fail and fall off the tube. Mine is fairly white but has always had the original box for storage protection. 

Don't breath the dust if you generate any.  Could be lead-based

• Jaylab likes this

#13 Jaylab

Jaylab

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2021 - 11:56 AM

I stripped the tube (thanks for the cautionary note RichA), cleaned and painted and the scope is looking better. I left the tube brass but it will be easy to paint.

Attached Thumbnails

• 85AB00116_17.jpg

• photiost, stevep, steve t and 6 others like this

#14 photiost

photiost

Gemini

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:01 AM

nice scope. congrats.

I like the brass !! 

• Jaylab likes this

#15 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:21 AM

I like the brass too. No need to repaint it white for originality unless you want to. I've seen a few of these early B&L left brass since paint failure is common. Then people discover the brass beauty underneath.

No harm to posterity either way. 

• Jaylab likes this

#16 Jaylab

Jaylab

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2021 - 01:40 PM

Thanks photiost and apfever, after laboriously stripping the tube I gave it a clear coat. I'm happy with the results and glad it is OK not to restore it to white.

All I need to finish the scope is to replace the padding on the tube trunion and I found Grainger lists felt of the correct dimension.

Thanks for the help!  -Jay-

• Bomber Bob likes this

#17 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 October 2021 - 02:58 PM

Jay,

Did you get the 6 catalog pages off the pm and stored how you would like?

What padding on the trunions?  Mine is direct trunion to metal V block on the fork, no felt or padding. I see no signs of wear. The movement is very smooth, and easy to adjust for accessory changes by turning the wingnuts that lock the trunions. Minor weight changes are easier to adjust with the wing nuts than repositioning the OTA in the cradle.  

I don't think original sales used any felt or other buffer, but it certainly wouldn't hurt if it fits in the fork mounts with room to clamp the trunions. Does yours have something that looks like it always used a buffer?

• Jaylab likes this

#18 Jaylab

Jaylab

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2021 - 05:08 PM

I was able to save the 6 pages of great information, I'd been looking for a long long time. Thanks again.

This is what my tube holder looks like, along with a bit of original felt. It fits in the 3/8" groves in the trunion assembly.

If I am understanding you correctly your trunions rest in V shaped notches on your mount. I was thinking of making some 3/4" holes and sawing a split to make an adjustable clamp for altitude.

Attached Thumbnails

• 85AB00130_32.jpg

• Bomber Bob likes this

#19 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:49 PM

Your pictures are so...something...like professional pose.  The background, strategic shadowing, deep focus detail close to far. I'm usually at arms length over my head then say sneeze. 

I think of that as the saddle assembly, and the trunions being only the bearing protrusions. Yours look painted, maybe mine are too. Now I understand the felt being for the OTA. 

Yes, I have V shaped notches with a bar that wing nuts over the top. It is smooth as butter and stable. I have some shake in the tripd/hub/mount not the altitude. 

Attached Thumbnails

• blsaddle.JPG

• Bomber Bob and Jaylab like this

#20 Jaylab

Jaylab

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the photo! I love the look of the old fork casting and hardware.

In my shots I try to capture enough detail so that they illustrate what I'm talking about.

"I'm usually at arms length over my head then say sneeze."

I'll have to try that!!  lol.gif

My trunion bearings are painted simply because I was too lazy to mask them. This brass cast assembly originally was painted a crinkle muddy green color with the bearing surfaces unfinished.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics