•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ethos 3.7 with NP127

Eyepieces Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Elko NV

Posted 06 October 2021 - 05:21 PM

Hi everyone I just wanted to hear about anyone’s experience using a 3.7 ethos for planetary observing.  It would be for an NP127 on an HD5 Gibraltar mount. I currently use a 6mm Delos and a 3mm delite for planets but I have some curiosity in replacing the delite with an ethos. On really good nights I use a 2.4mm vixen so I have most my magnifications covered. Hope to hear about anyone’s experience. Thank you 

#2 Stellar1

Stellar1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 06 October 2021 - 05:37 PM

I cannot speak of the eyepiece in question but, nice scope!!

#3 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 06 October 2021 - 05:37 PM

I used it in an NP101is last weekend to show Jupiter, Saturn, Alberio, M57 and the double-double to some friends from 7 to 43 years old and it went very well. The undriven DM4 mount made it very handy. It's as good an Ethos as there is. I too cover the lowest fl's with 3.5 & 2.5T6's. Certainly it would be at least as fine in your larger NP.

Most nights with the Dobs my observing stops with the 4.7E which has long been a favorite. Now with the refractor I cannot determine if one of the SX's is "better" than the other but I think not. Both highly recommended.

• turtle86, Sarkikos and rexowner like this

#4 sanbai

sanbai

Apollo

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 06 October 2021 - 05:45 PM

Not in this telescope, but in my 80mm f/7.5 (F=600 mm) the Ethos 3.7 is fabulous from side to side. Moon, planets or whatever. Given that Ethos work well down to f/3, in a NP refractor it can only get bette than in mine.

There may be eyepieces that are a very tiny bit better for something specific (not 110° though). Not worth my time. If you like the characteristics of an Ethos and got the money, go for it. If in a budget, APM or Stellarvue equivalent are an excellent value.

Btw, my 2.5mmT6 (at 80x per inch) is still usable and useful in my 80 ED, so you could potentially push more your NP127. There was a Vixen 1.6 around...
  • Sarkikos likes this

#5 f74265a

f74265a

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 October 2021 - 05:55 PM

I use the 3.7-E for planets in my much smaller than 127 tv 85. It is excellent. I use it along with 3 delite, 3,5 Delos, 4 delite, and 4.7-E to dial in max power for the seeing. Best lifetime view of Jupiter was with 3.7E. Incredible drift time and nice color rendition. Personally, given the magnification difference, if I were you I’d add the 3.7E to the collection rather than replacing the 3 delite.
  • Sarkikos and havasman like this

#6 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 October 2021 - 06:20 PM

I love all your responses and feel like I’m already convinced I need to get it now haha. 

• Sarkikos, havasman and sanbai like this

#7 rexowner

rexowner

Viking 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 06 October 2021 - 06:27 PM

I use the 3.7mm Ethos all the time in my NP-127, and it provides great views.  I am also on

an alt-az non-tracking mount, so the 100-deg field is quite handy for obtaining and

maintaining the planet in view.  (Also appreciate the 82-degrees of the 25T6 on those

really good nights.)  Makes it possible/easier to e.g. get Ganymede in the frame depending

on where it is on its orbit for context - Ethos gives you ~37' vs. ~17' with the 3mm Delite

if I'm doing the math correctly.

Edited by rexowner, 06 October 2021 - 10:31 PM.

• havasman and 4alien51 like this

#8 Bill Lee

Bill Lee

Ranger 4

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 07:46 PM

I’ve found that the 3.5mm Delos has slightly better resolution than the 3.7mm Ethos. So, I tend to use the Delos on a driven mount, and the Ethos on an undriven mount. But, the difference is slight, and if you can only get one, the Ethos is a good choice.

#9 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 07 October 2021 - 12:10 AM

Personally I would probably stand pat. Like me you have an HR so if you can manage fine with 42 AFOV you can manage with your 62 AFOV Delite. Now the point was made that 3.7 might be a reasonable jump up from 3, depending on how tight of increments you want, especially if you don’t have a 4mm. So there could be some logic just based on that. However a 4 or 4.5 would really be a better fit to go between a 3 Delite and 6 Delos. I mean, high power is where you want the tightest spacing, to match magnification to seeing. And you are doubling magnification between the 3mm and 6mm. That is pretty limiting. I would address that before just replacing an excellent planetary eyepiece with another excellent eyepiece just with more AFOV, which isn’t that critical for planets anyway.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 07 October 2021 - 12:15 AM.

• wrvond and 4alien51 like this

#10 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 October 2021 - 12:57 AM

I haven't tried a NP-127, but do have a Televue 101, and did have the 3.7 ethos.

For me, the 110 degree stuff was a trade-off too far. The need to turn my head so far to see the field stop was irksome, and I just didn't feel that comfortable using the eyepiece (same issue with 4.7). I was typically conscious of the fact that I was looking through an eyepiece rather than just being absorbed by the view.

In the end, I decided I'd rather barlow the 6 and 8 ethos using he Nikon 1.6 EiC. That has worked out well, as it comes close to replicating the focal lengths (works out at 3.75 and 5 from memory), and the comfort is possibly a little better still for using the barlow.

• 4alien51 likes this

#11 Bill Lee

Bill Lee

Ranger 4

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 01:02 PM

I have to say that the Vixen HR eyepiece line had the best contrast and the blackest black of any eyepiece I own. (I tested it on the moon.) Too bad the had such a short life.

I’m looking at the Takahashi TOEs now. I just got one but haven’t tried it yet.

#12 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 07 October 2021 - 05:10 PM

I used it in an NP101is last weekend to show Jupiter, Saturn, Alberio, M57 and the double-double to some friends from 7 to 43 years old and it went very well. The undriven DM4 mount made it very handy. It's as good an Ethos as there is. I too cover the lowest fl's with 3.5 & 2.5T6's. Certainly it would be at least as fine in your larger NP.

Most nights with the Dobs my observing stops with the 4.7E which has long been a favorite. Now with the refractor I cannot determine if one of the SX's is "better" than the other but I think not. Both highly recommended.

+1  Both the 3.7 and 4.7 Ethos are excellent performers in all my scopes, from my NP 101 to my 18" Dob.  Very underrated as planetary eyepieces IMO. I don't think they give up much of anything to the vaunted tiny glass eyepieces, and the 110 AFOV is a big plus if you're using an undriven mount.  On the few occasions I was able to the central star in M57 in my 18" I was using a 3.7 Ethos.

• payner, Sarkikos, Kutno and 2 others like this

#13 davidgmd

davidgmd

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 07 October 2021 - 07:22 PM

I too have the NP101 on a manual mount, and am happy with the 3 mm Delite, 4.5 mm Delos, and 6 mm Delos for planets. The math is a bit different for the NP127, maybe enough to warrant even smaller steps.

The only downside of the 3 mm Delite is for outreach, where it’s good for only 1 inexperienced observer at a time before I have to recenter. When it’s just me and my wife the frequent recentering isn’t bothersome.

Edited by darkandstormynight, 07 October 2021 - 07:23 PM.

#14 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 October 2021 - 01:59 AM

I too have the NP101 on a manual mount, and am happy with the 3 mm Delite, 4.5 mm Delos, and 6 mm Delos for planets. The math is a bit different for the NP127, maybe enough to warrant even smaller steps.

The only downside of the 3 mm Delite is for outreach, where it’s good for only 1 inexperienced observer at a time before I have to recenter. When it’s just me and my wife the frequent recentering isn’t bothersome.

I agree with that as well. People that don’t look through optics often seem to always have a hard time finding the planet and by the time they do you have to re center again. But as long they say holy sh** I’m completely content.

#15 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 October 2021 - 02:01 AM

I have to say that the Vixen HR eyepiece line had the best contrast and the blackest black of any eyepiece I own. (I tested it on the moon.) Too bad the had such a short life.

I’m looking at the Takahashi TOEs now. I just got one but haven’t tried it yet.

I seriously love the vixen HR line. I’ve used that 2.4 more often than I thought I would. Had some of my favorite views of Mars at opposition last year in my TV85. 

• Kutno likes this

#16 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 October 2021 - 02:13 AM

You have all been really helpful and reading everyone’s experiences is awesome. I decided to purchase the 3.7mm today. I’m going to keep the 3mm delite since I do really like it. If I end up loving it but feel like I needed closer to the 4.7mm then I’m just gonna have to get that as well . This purchase is really just for the fun of trying something new and getting a different experience. I do mostly night vision astronomy for deep sky now days so the joy of getting new eyepieces came to a stop once I completed my night vision line up with a 41mm panoptic. I’m excited to get some time in with the 3.7 ethos while the planets are still out and about. I’ll let everyone on here know how it goes once I try it out. 

• Kutno and ianatcn like this

#17 rexowner

rexowner

Viking 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 08 October 2021 - 02:58 PM

... I completed my night vision line up with a 41mm panoptic.

I know this isn't the NV forum, and you didn't ask, but FWIW, I use my 40mm Plossl rather than a 41Pan for NV, since

the AFOV is limited to 40-degrees, it's essentially the same view, and almost 2 pounds less at the eyepiece end.

I love my 40mm Plossl....

• 4alien51 likes this

#18 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 October 2021 - 03:26 PM

I know this isn't the NV forum, and you didn't ask, but FWIW, I use my 40mm Plossl rather than a 41Pan for NV, since

the AFOV is limited to 40-degrees, it's essentially the same view, and almost 2 pounds less at the eyepiece end.

I love my 40mm Plossl....

Ah man I actually looked at the 40 first but decided the 41mm after influence from others. I love it but I definitely wouldn’t mind something lighter. I mostly use my 55mm plossl with the 67mm converter. I’ve had my NP127 for a month now and I am loving the views through it with night vision. Haven’t taken my 12 inch dob out since I got it but that’ll change soon once I get to see the Horsehead nebula through my 12 for the first time with night vision. I did see it recently in my TV85 and that was awesome.

#19 ianatcn

ianatcn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 08 October 2021 - 03:39 PM

Hi everyone I just wanted to hear about anyone’s experience using a 3.7 ethos for planetary observing.  It would be for an NP127 on an HD5 Gibraltar mount. I currently use a 6mm Delos and a 3mm delite for planets but I have some curiosity in replacing the delite with an ethos. On really good nights I use a 2.4mm vixen so I have most my magnifications covered. Hope to hear about anyone’s experience. Thank you 

It is probably my most used eyepiece for moon and planets in my TV127is.  When using the 127 on the TV mount I find the extra wide field great for allowing the planet to drift through the field without having to touch the telescope.  The 3.7 is an exceptional eyepiece demonstrating excellent correction over the whole field.  Although I do use higher powers from time to time with eyepiece/barlow combinations, the 3.7 is an ideal match for the majority of nights from my location.  I think you will really enjoy it.  Lunar views are nothing short of spectacular - don't view the moon with this combination if you suffer from vertigo!   

#20 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 08 October 2021 - 05:45 PM

For clarity, sharpness and detail, my money is on the Delite.  

#21 f74265a

f74265a

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 October 2021 - 06:13 PM

The delites are indeed excellent
But there is no 3.7 delite. At low focal lengths, small differences mean meaningful differences in magnification.
The 3.7-E is not far off, if any, of the image quality of the 4 delite plus the ethos image is larger and huge fov that shows Jupiter plus most moons. 3.7-E is far more than adequate for planets for me. I use both ethos and delite and settle on the one with best magnification for the seeing.
As said before, best Jupiter for me was with 3.7E. Interestingly, best Saturn, but not Jupiter, for me was 9 delite plus 2.5pm for an effective 3.6 delite. Go figure

#22 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 10 October 2021 - 11:44 AM

See, this forum is why we end up with large eyepiece collections.....

• Scott in NC, nyairman and 4alien51 like this

#23 Deadlake

Deadlake

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 October 2021 - 02:01 PM

I have the full set of Vixen HR's and a 4 mm TOE. On the moon the difference between the TOE and the HR is a wash, however I feel the TOE pulls ahead on detail viewing Jupiter and Saturn. Thats viewing over multiple nights, swapping around diagonals used and really splitting hairs.

If I was looking for another planetary EP, I would go straight for the 3.3 mm TOE, I just feel on Jupiter and Saturn it will have the edge.

I was observing thru an LZOS 130/F6 on an AZ100 mount and also use a SXP2. To be honest using the SXP2 means I can fully concentrate for those best seeing moments and helps to evaluate which EP gives the best view. 

#24 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 10 October 2021 - 03:24 PM

Do you actually recenter the object at the center of the field of view of the eyepiece?  Or do you place the object at the edge of field of view, and let it drift all the way across?  That's the way to do it.

Mike

#25 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 10 October 2021 - 05:34 PM

Ah man I actually looked at the 40 first but decided the 41mm after influence from others. I love it but I definitely wouldn’t mind something lighter. I mostly use my 55mm plossl with the 67mm converter. I’ve had my NP127 for a month now and I am loving the views through it with night vision. Haven’t taken my 12 inch dob out since I got it but that’ll change soon once I get to see the Horsehead nebula through my 12 for the first time with night vision. I did see it recently in my TV85 and that was awesome.

Given where you live, the HH should be visible in your 12" without night vision.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eyepieces, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics