•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ethos 3.7 with NP127

Eyepieces Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 davidgmd

davidgmd

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 10 October 2021 - 09:34 PM

Do you actually recenter the object at the center of the field of view of the eyepiece?  Or do you place the object at the edge of field of view, and let it drift all the way across?  That's the way to do it.

Mike

At the edge, as you describe, allowing more drift time. My original description was imprecise. Having eyepieces that are sharp to the edge help here.

Edited by darkandstormynight, 10 October 2021 - 09:35 PM.

• Sarkikos likes this

#27 laedco58

laedco58

Messenger

• Loc: East Central Minnesota

Posted 11 October 2021 - 07:55 PM

Some of the best views I got of Mars last summer and fall when the skies were steady, we’re through a NP127 that you are familiar with, and 3.7 or 4.7 ethos eyepieces in the diagonal.

• Sarkikos and ianatcn like this

#28 4alien51

4alien51

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Elko NV

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:59 PM

Some of the best views I got of Mars last summer and fall when the skies were steady, we’re through a NP127 that you are familiar with, and 3.7 or 4.7 ethos eyepieces in the diagonal.

Im very glad to hear that from you. The 3.7 comes in today. 

• laedco58 and sanbai like this

#29 GlobularClusterFan

GlobularClusterFan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:24 PM

I use the Ethos 3.7 with my NP127is on planets (and sometimes on Globulars and planetary nebulae).

I find the sharpness to be excellent, and I've had wonderful views of Jupiter these last few months. 

I do notice some issue with contrast when the planet is dead center in the eyepiece.  There are some internal reflections happening. 

I do wonder if a Powermate + longer focal length Ethos might spread any reflections over a larger area.  I also think I'd like more than the 178x magnification given by the 3.7 Ethos.

Edited by GlobularClusterFan, 13 October 2021 - 08:26 PM.

• Sarkikos likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eyepieces, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics