•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How deep does PVS-14 go at 1X?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 06 October 2021 - 07:19 PM

I would like to know what magnitude stars does this unit reveal at 1X under dark skies with no filters.  Thanks 

#2 chemisted

chemisted

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 October 2021 - 07:39 PM

I would like to know what magnitude stars does this unit reveal at 1X under dark skies with no filters.  Thanks 

Have you read the Dennis di Cicco review of the PVS-14 (S&T, 2018, June issue, pp 58-61)?  He spends a good part of a page answering your question in detail.  It is not as straight forward as one might suppose.

Edited by chemisted, 06 October 2021 - 07:39 PM.

#3 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 06 October 2021 - 08:11 PM

No I don't have those issues any more.  Some quick bullet points would be helpful.  Thanks

#4 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 06 October 2021 - 08:23 PM

I'll see if I can scan it for you. I can say that I can see the Milky Way pretty good in Bortle 6 skies...so it's pretty powerful.

#5 a__l

a__l

Gemini

• -----

Posted 06 October 2021 - 10:28 PM

Are you interested in what region of the spectrum?
It probably depends on the diameter of your lens glass and how much the lens glass absorbs in the infrared (or in the visible spectrum for lens NV devices). Even one device (PVS-14) can have different lenses in terms of transmission spectrum.

Edited by a__l, 06 October 2021 - 10:32 PM.

#6 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 07 October 2021 - 12:00 AM

Looking at Ursa Minor under a SQM 20.5 sky, I was getting down to magnitude 9.5 without a great deal of effort.

• Darren Drake and Jethro7 like this

#7 a__l

a__l

Gemini

• -----

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:50 AM

I have a PVS-14 lens with a deep blue coating (cutting through most of the visual spectrum) with a 26mm objective lens and I have another PVS-14 lens with a completely different coating (much less dense blue).
It probably makes sense to clarify which lens we are talking about.

• ButterFly likes this

#8 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 October 2021 - 05:55 PM

I have a PVS-14 lens with a deep blue coating (cutting through most of the visual spectrum) with a 26mm objective lens and I have another PVS-14 lens with a completely different coating (much less dense blue).
It probably makes sense to clarify which lens we are talking about.

And the sky background too.  Visual NELM differs from place to place, and observer to observer.  I can see more stars at 1x from a dark site than my yard.  And of course, some tubes are just noisier than others.

The PVS14's spectral response is similar to Gaia's DR2 red band G_RP.  Visual magnitudes are NOT the same as in near-IR.

#9 a__l

a__l

Gemini

• -----

Posted 09 October 2021 - 08:04 AM

And the sky background too.  Visual NELM differs from place to place, and observer to observer.  I can see more stars at 1x from a dark site than my yard.  And of course, some tubes are just noisier than others.

The PVS14's spectral response is similar to Gaia's DR2 red band G_RP.  Visual magnitudes are NOT the same as in near-IR.

Yes. I like to use my Fujinon (3x) better. Its objective lens diameter is compatible with a 2" filter diameter. Yesterday there was a very transparent and dark autumn sky. About 100 km from my house. At the zenith in the Cygnus region, there was a solid star field. I doubt to say what the ultimate magnitude of the stars was visible ...

Edited by a__l, 09 October 2021 - 08:08 AM.

#10 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 09 October 2021 - 08:22 AM

I saw a star in Ursa Minor last night in the heavy light pollution that was magnitude 8.5.  I'm pretty sure it can go deeper but that was one of the dimmer stars I was able to identify using Skysafari Pro.  I realize the color of the star is important and look forward to more testing in the near furure.

Edited by Darren Drake, 09 October 2021 - 08:23 AM.

• DVR06 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics