•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NV Grab and Go

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Quartz

Quartz

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Jacksonville, Florida

Posted 06 October 2021 - 08:28 PM

Looking for some recommendations for a grab and go setup and I'd like to stay under $1,000. I currently have a 10 Go-to Skywatcher Dob but for nights where I just want to pickup and go out to a dark site or just want a quick session, I'd like something different. I'm guessing from all the talk on the board, a refractor would be the way to go. Any thoughts ?

#2 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 06 October 2021 - 09:17 PM

Hmm...something fast would be good. Are you using a PVS-14 or a Mod3? If PVS-14 I wouldn't suggest a 6 inch F4 imaging newt like I have. It's already setup for gaining back focus (inward travel). So with A-focal it really sticks out like a sore thumb. For a PVS-14 I suggest a fast refractor such as F5. This could be a 102mm or a 120mm. For G&G I suppose the 102mm would be the most compact.

Then, mount wise, I'd think a Vixen Porta mount or something like it would be good. If you more prefer EQ mounts, a Celestron CG-4 would do quite nicely with either of those two scopes.

I do think aperture can help even with NV, but it's not as crucial. 

For achromats, it's best to use heavy filtering so a 685nm long pass and a hydrogen alpha (same as you'd probably use with your other scope). 

By the way, the 10 inch will be sweet! It's my best scope for NV. But the 102mm or 120mm F5 will give you a nice wide field of view (for visual also). Just make sure it's a 2 inch focuser.

#3 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 06 October 2021 - 09:20 PM

Ok...never mind I said the Celestron CG-4 because that wouldn't be too grab and go.

My Vixen AP mount is grab and go, but it's pretty expensive and could be hard to find.

So some sort of alt/az mount that's decent would make the most sense.

#4 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 October 2021 - 05:47 AM

I use a 102mm F5 inexpensive achromatic refractor. These scopes are very nice for NV.

Inexpensive
Compact
Lightweight
They have 2” focusers
They can have their standard focusers updated

They are somewhat fast at F5 (or F3.5 wth a .7 reducer)

They can be used with reducers (might have to update the focuser)
They work very well with NV (you will need to use filters)
They can ride on many of the alt/az mounts that are available
The 102 F5 used with NV is an “extremely powerful”, portable, wide field observing system

Below is my 102 F5 on a UA alt/az mount

For something even more portable consider camera lenses or a 50-60mm guide scope. Below is my repurposed 50mm guide scope with the intensifier for handheld ultra-wide field observing

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• post-10354-0-55586300-1527548851.jpg
  • IMG_2972.jpg

• ButterFly likes this

#5 shohin

shohin

Mariner 2

• Loc: Socal

Posted 08 October 2021 - 12:38 AM

For grab 'n' go I use an f/4 Orion StarBlast 4.5 on a Twilight I mount. The StarBlast focuser is only 1.25" and made of plastic but works well enough for prime focus use.  I like using reflectors with prime focus because the image orientation is correct.

#6 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 October 2021 - 06:10 PM

Pick up a used 80mm from the classifieds.  My 80mm f/6 frames the Milky Way blobs rather well.  I'm stuck in afocal, but I really only ever use the 67 PP with that setup anyway.  I screw that onto my filter wheel and have a go at it.  The focuser has to handle the weight, but many are made for imaging trains.

I keep it on a Manfrotto 475B with an N12 head.  It makes panning very easy and I do lots of that.  It's way overmounted for that, but I use it for night wildlife as well.  Check craigslist and the like if that's what you are after.  A slow motion astro mount won't cut it for me.  Get an extra long dovetail to help with balancing.  80mm of glass is very light compared to everything at the other end.

If you aren't stuck in afocal, a camera lens is out the door.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics