•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Red Meade 8" f/6 Newt

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 09 October 2021 - 03:01 PM

I wasn't looking for another scope, but this one showed up a few miles away, and the price was good, so I purchased it.  A short time ago, I was thinking of making an 8" f/6 newt, and I wasn't sure if I would buy or make the optics.

Red Meade 3.jpg

That is a lot of red.

Red Meade 2.jpg

Red Meade 1.jpg

The tube is in great shape, so is the mount. I was surprised how light the OTA is. There are no dents or cracks.  I'll clean everything and get rid of the years accumulation of dirt.  It probably sat in a corner of a garage for years.

I would say that it is complete, nothing is broken or missing. 

It came with 2 eyepieces, a MA 25mm, and a MA 9mm.  It also has a Meade Apochromatic 2x barlow.  They are all in excellent shape.

Attached to the tube is a Telrad.  It works, but it's gonna go.  I just don't care for Telrads.

The RA 6x30 finder is in great shape.  The focuser works very smoothly, even though the housing is plastic.  There is also a camera attachment, and some type of tube rotation device.  The end tube rings are in great shape. 

Red Meade 4.jpg

The primary, oh man, does it need a recoat!  But before I send it off, since I have dusted off my tester, I'll take a look at the figure.

Red Meade 5.jpg

Red Meade 6.jpg

The scope does need collimation, I expected it to be off.  But in looking into the focuser at the primary, I could not see the edges of the primary.  It is too small, and probably came that way.  I pulled the secondary out, and measured the secondary.  It is only 1.3", it should be about 1.9".  So with that, I'm wonder about the primary's figure.  It was definitely choked. Was a smaller secondary installed to help a bad primary?

But before I tear it all apart for a redo, I set it up and see how Saturn and Jupiter look, and then I'll go from there.

I like the scope, and it size.

Edited by Garyth64, 09 October 2021 - 03:05 PM.

• tim53, DreamWeaver, icomet and 9 others like this

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 09 October 2021 - 03:09 PM

I believe Meade made these for Tasco who rebadged and resold them.
  • mdowns likes this

#3 petert913

petert913

Aurora

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 09 October 2021 - 04:28 PM

Boy, that's pretty !

• Garyth64 likes this

#4 Tenacious

Tenacious

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 09 October 2021 - 07:07 PM

Seriously good looking scope, Cary.   Nice find!

• Garyth64 likes this

#5 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2021 - 07:08 PM

I took the primary out and gave it a bath.  It still looks like nebular star fields, but it is clean.

nebula.jpg

While the mirror was out I checked it on my tester, with a ronchi and a KE.  With three lines the mirror has a nice curve.  The KE shows a nice smooth surface, but there is a slight central hole about 1-1/2" in diameter.

On the back of the mirror it said, 48.1", so I checked it and I came up with 48-1/8".  Close enough.

So I'll get it all back together and set it up for some viewing.  If all looks good, I'll be sending it off to Majestic.  And I will be looking for a larger secondary.

EDIT - for a previous post.  I said that the scope had a plastic focuser, it does not.  It is indeed a metal one.

Edited by Garyth64, 10 October 2021 - 08:38 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#6 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• Loc: Concord, NH

Posted 10 October 2021 - 08:48 PM

I have the same scope, just painted white and slightly different mount. Check the spider and secondary holder. They notoriously cracked or broke. The metal of my secondary holder crumbled when I took it apart.
  • Garyth64 likes this

#7 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2021 - 09:10 PM

Thanks. I did have the whole spider and secondary holder out of the tube so I could measure the secondary.  Everything looks ok, and is still in one piece.  

fingerscrossed.gif

I'll keep my eye on it.

#8 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• Loc: Concord, NH

Posted 10 October 2021 - 09:52 PM

Also, mine has a 1.83” secondary size. I’m not sure why the difference in sizes, but other threads I have read on the 826 indicate that some had 1.3”, 1.52”, or 1.83”.

#9 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 11 October 2021 - 02:45 AM

A 1.333" secondary is the absolute minimum for using the full primary on axis. This means a 1-1/3" secondary will let you just see the entire primary if your eye is centered in the focuser and everything is collimated correctly. This could be ideal for viewing very small items like planets or doubles. The 1.52" and 1.83" size secondaries will give a larger 100 percent illuminated field of view while the 1.3" gives a pinpoint.  It is a good idea to shoot for 75% illumination at the edge of the field of view for younger eyes, and 80% for older eyes.

The 1.3" gives that magical 16 to 17 percent central obstruction that creates negligible visual diffraction. The 1.52" and 1.83" give 19% and 23% respectively. I like to try holding to 20% and under central obstruction, also 75% edge illumination. I haven't computed anything using both restraints on this scope, it is usually a trade off, personal preference. 

• Terra Nova and Augustus like this

#10 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 11 October 2021 - 06:00 AM

My last 826 had crazy sharp optics.  The spider and holder in my 10" RG was still very solid. It had some kind of round insert that helped hold the 2ndary holder in the spider.

#11 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 08:04 PM

I ordered and received a 1.83" secondary from Antares.  I am also almost done with the holder for it.  I replaced the 1.3" housing with a larger one.  It will slide into the existing spider.  There is easily enough room for the larger secondary.

new 183 holder.jpg

After I install the secondary's mirror clips, I'll paint it flat black.

I also replaced the original focuser with another.

new focuser for red.jpg

The old focuser on on the left.  I just don't like the slit for eyepieces.

I also removed the Telrad.  I put batteries in it and it works just fine, but I just don't use Telrads.  

• mdowns and Star.Monger like this

#12 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted Yesterday, 09:31 PM

That’s a nice scope Gary. Great find and I like what you’re doing with it. The red is very pretty too. 8” F6 are perfect numbers.

• Garyth64 likes this

#13 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted Yesterday, 10:37 PM

Nice job on that focuser. It looks like a well done mechanical match for specs. It looks good. 

• Garyth64 likes this

#14 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted Today, 05:53 AM

Mine had a 1.52" 2dary.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics