•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Parks scopes in Scope City Catalog

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 09 October 2021 - 05:07 PM

I remember seeing some unbelievable telescopes ( to me that is ) when I received the Scope City catalog, from the early 80's I believe.

I do remember the 60mm refractors were very expensive as compared to other brands of 60mm telescopes. I do not remember them having a larger refractor than the 60, they may have?

But I remember some of the reflectors, especially the 16 inch on casters under the mighty equatorial mount with motor drives. I did not understand all the numbers that they used explaining the mirror quality, just it seemed awesome reading that.

As I read the info about that 16 inch scope, I thought that you could see anything in the sky with that. But I guess Parks priced themselves out of business. You occasionally see a parks 60mm refractor for sale, but the prices are still outrageous for them.

• steve t likes this

#2 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 09 October 2021 - 05:17 PM

No one could handle that 16" scope alone. It was like the same size mount Cave had with 2.5" shafts. The OTA alone would have been around 150lbs.

• steve t likes this

#3 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 09 October 2021 - 07:00 PM

Back in 1992, I got a Parks Optical(Towa) PRT-813, an 80mm f/11 achromat on an EQ2-class equatorial mount...

Parks PRT-813d.jpg

That was my second telescope.  I gave it to a relation round 2003, and after I got my definitive 102mm/4" refractor, which isn't a classic, yet.  That Parks PRT-813 is just barely a classic, if at all.

This Sears(Towa) 60mm f/11 is my very first, and from round 1972...

kit5.jpg

I consider it to be a later classic.

In 2003 or '04, I got a Parks Optical 8" /f/5(custom) Newtonian, just the OTA...

finder scope5.jpg

It's not a classic, save perhaps its fibre-glass tube.

This Mayflower(Towa?) "Vari-Power" 60mm f/? refractor/spotting-scope is from the early 1960s(?), and is considered a classic...

092316c.jpg

This Sears(Towa) 50mm f/12 from the late 1960s, that I've modernised for practical usage...

achromat5b.jpg

...was once a classic...

kit3.jpg

• steve t and RichA like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics