•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is the Ideal set of equipment for Night vision Astronomy?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 LightTrapper

LightTrapper

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2021 - 12:39 PM

I used to do some astronomy with a C8 a few years back, then a Zhumell dobsonian 8 inch for a few years after that. I ended up leaving astronomy as I truly have no interest in astro-photography but rather visual observing which is underwhelming after a while. Having discovered this forum I would be interested in re-entering this hobby. I have read the pinned guides to become more familiar with the equipment but figured I would post this and ask members here;

What is your ideal set of equipment (dream set, if money was no object)?  I mean a comprehensive list.

What telescope would you buy? Dobsonian? If so what brand? Hubble, explorer scientifica, skywatcher? others? What size?

what type of tracking would you go for?

What nightvision set would you go for? Mono or Bino? What is the best set out there?

what eyepieces? Appears televue plossl is recommended. Why not ethos? What would be your pick?

any other equipment?

I would love to see what you guys perceive the pinnacle of current observation technology could offer. Put together some dream lists below, as this is what I will use for inspiration for my next build!

Edited by LightTrapper, 10 October 2021 - 12:40 PM.

• MT4 likes this

#2 Mort H

Mort H

Explorer 1

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 10 October 2021 - 02:51 PM

Hi LightTrapper, 2021 is an exciting time to get into (or back into) astronomy I think!

I also think there is no ideal, simply because personal tastes, likes & dislikes are so varied, even taking money out of the equation.

Also logistical situations vary. Will you transport your scope? Do you have a place to store it? What physical shape are you in?

All those disclaimers can be huge factors. But having given those disclaimers, here's my dream setup I think, I'm most of the way there already!

I like visual observing, and have no interest in astrophotography. I like pushing my scope manually, I have no intetest in Goto or computers.

I also like deep-sky targets and am not that much into planetary observing, so that's a big influence on my choices in scope and so-forth.

For a scope, I've been very happy with my 12.5" f/5 Discovery truss tube Dob, it's old but built like a tank with good optics. But you are asking for ultimate. For me I decided on New Moon Telescopes, I have an order in now. Something to last a lifetime, that's my plan. You could get the biggest one that works logistically for you. Fast like f/3.3 or even f/3 would be good for NV tubes, and good for wider fields.

You could even get a 2nd smaller one (rich fields and more travel friendly) to complement your large one.

Get a Tele Vue Paracorr with the fast Dob.

Get an equatorial platform, it's super nice at higher power especially.

Get an Astrocrumb filter slide.

I live in Michigan so heaters are mandatory on eyepieces especially, to prevent fogging. I like Kendrick.

For the NV device, bino is mandatory for me, I have been previously spoiled too much by my wonderful Binotron 27, there is no going back to mono after that (for me). I would want excellent EBI and FOM specs. White phosphor. Continuous manual gain control. Support for prime focus, afocal, and camera lenses. OVNI-B is one device that checks all those boxes, and is the device I bought. Also Jonathan (joko) was outstanding to work with. To say I've been thrilled with OVNI-B would be an understatement!

For prime focus, a set of Barlows are useful. I recommend Harry Siebert.

For afocal, Tele Vue 67mm Plossl is a must. 40mm is also useful. Others if you wish. The apparent field with NV is 40 degrees, so you can use Ethos and Panoptics and such but they can be heavy and the wide apparent fields are wasted (unnecessary) with NV.

For camera lenses, I already owned many Canon EF lenses and they work great. I use a sturdy tripod and heavy video head with the 200mm f/2L which I highly recommend. Shorter lenses like 135mm f/2, 85mm f/1.4 or f/1.8, 50mm f/1.2, even 35mm f/1.4 are lots of fun handheld. (Note: the new Canon RF lenses will not work.)

A 90 degree mirror mount is also a very comfortable way to view with a camera lens, there are at least a couple of us here on CN who have enjoyed NV that way. My mirror mount is a now-discontinued Oberwerk binocular mirror mount, I'm not sure what is available nowadays but I've loved that thing for many years with my 25x100 binos...and now also with NV.

An adjustable-height observing chair is a must for me, I don't recall the brand but I got it many years ago from Astronomics, you can see pictures in one of my recent posts, it's an awesome chair, I think lots of CN folks have this same chair.

For filters, 2" are required for afocal. I have Chroma 8nm and 5nm H-alpha and like them. I also have Baader 6.5nm and 3.5nm f/2 H-alpha and like them. I also have other Astronomik and Baader filters: 12nm H-alpha, 685nm IR, 645nm IR, 610nm IR, I forget which is which brand (I'm on travel currently) but they are all good. For your ultimate setup, get them all,they are all useful.

To find what's in the sky, in general I much prefer a printed atlas, I like Interstellarum to see what's around, then I go to Millenium for star-hopping and for additional targets. Love it. I also use a large heated magnifying glass, since I'm no spring chicken and my eyes are bad.

For the really big-picture atlas, my fav by far is Cambridge Star Atlas. Deep Map 600 is also quite nice, I've used them both a ton.

For solar system bodies, I like Sky Safari Pro on my Android phone.

I have several other phone and computer apps, I like them all but Sky Safari Pro is my fav. I think I also probably own close to every printed atlas (as a collector, not because I need them all), and the above-mentioned ones are my personal favs in the field.

Well there you have it, my dream setup. I am truly fortunate in that money is no issue at this stage of life, I can have whatever I want. Only piece missing is my New Moon order, once that's filled then it will be complete!

Obviously these are highly personal choices, other folks will have very different but equally valid choices for their specific needs.

Also there are other fine telescope makers out there, I'm in no way implying New Moon is the only high-end choice.
  • GeezerGazer likes this

#3 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 October 2021 - 02:54 PM

Intensifier:
Monocular: Mod 3 intensifier with a white, decently high spec (but doesn’t need to be the absolute best) tube, gain control and a C-mount to 1.25” adapter for the Mod 3

Filters:
Various Ha and Pass filters: 3.5 and 6nm Ha and 685 Pass filters in my heavy light pollution

Mount:
Rowan AZ100 twin alt/az mount, digital setting circles and motorized tracking

Scopes:
1. Astro Physics Traveler (or other fast F5-F6 apo triplet)
2. Celestron C9.25. I need the portability of a C8 or C9.25 SCT over a large Dob and 2-scope observing with different scopes being good at different things is nice.

Reducers:
AP reducer for the Traveler (or a reducer for another fast apo) and a 6.3 reducer for the SCT

Barlows:
2x Barlow and a 2.5x TV Powermate.

Camera Lenses:
Something in the 100-200mm zoom lens range to be used handheld.

What I Use Now:

I actually have a setup similar to the above that I really like to use. I use an NVD Micro intensifier, a C8 SCT, a 102mm F5 achromatic refractor, a DSV-3 alt/az mount and a 50mm handheld guide scope. So I would kind of keep the same but upgrade to a higher quality refractor, a slightly higher quality intensifier, maybe a slightly larger SCT and a higher quality/more robust mount.

My current 2-scope system is below

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0131.jpg

Edited by bobhen, 10 October 2021 - 02:59 PM.

• GeezerGazer, Jim4321 and JeremySh like this

#4 LightTrapper

LightTrapper

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2021 - 03:42 PM

Thank you both for high quality responses. It has already given me a lot to think about. 

I am eyeing those OVNI-B's, and it is reassuring to hear positive experiences from others on the board.

Interesting about the eyepieces and field of view - good to know, as otherwise I would have just went for the Ethos.

I think that nightvision can give visual astronomy a second life.

EDIT: Mort I will be going through your gallery.

Edited by LightTrapper, 10 October 2021 - 03:44 PM.

#5 a__l

a__l

Gemini

• -----

Posted 10 October 2021 - 04:15 PM

Actually, I almost reached what I consider to be the top, with the exception of 24" carbon and 3" P2.  There is a nuance, I only observe under a dark sky (or close).
Intensifier monocular Mod 3
Lenses upgraded PVS-14 for c-mount (1x) and Fujinon CF75HA-1 (3x)
Filter 2" Ha 7nm

Coma correctors 3" TV P2 (now I have 2" TV P2 and TV P1, here the nuance is better to have 2 correctors, for fast switching between afocal and prime focus, those 3" TV P2 for afocal and 2" TV P2 for prime)
Reducer TV67
Barlow 2x TV Powermate
Scope 24" F/3.3 homemade upgate with carbon (now I have a classic 24" f/3.3)

GoTo ServoCat + Nexus DSC

For visual use Ethos 17,13,10,8 + Delos 14,6 + N31 + good 2" UHC filter (kit that I use 99% for visual observations). 

Additionally I have a reserve homemade 18" Dob (carbon) + ServoCat.

It is possible to add a refractor for wide fields as well and planets, but I didn't think about it.

Edited by a__l, 10 October 2021 - 05:04 PM.

• GeezerGazer likes this

#6 scoale

scoale

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 October 2021 - 04:55 PM

I'm still figuring this out.  Some conclusions I'm reaching, based on study of CN posts and recent equipment acquisition is as follows:

• NV benefits from aperture, speed, filtering, and properly framed targets.  Given the wide range of target sizes, and individual portability requirements, no setup is optimized for all possible targets.  That said, a large dob would seem to provide aperture, speed, and solid FOV.
  • NV has greatest impact on nebula (when filtered) and globs.  I have not been overly impressed with impact on galaxies (YMMV).  Consequently, for me, aperture is still important.
  • Get ready to spend $$, lots of $$.  The intensifier is just the beginning.
  • I have a C11.  I don't think it is the optimum setup for a lot of targets due to long focal length and narrow FOV, but I bought C11, pre-NV, because I wanted aperture due to my B8 location.  That said, my setup is as follows:
    • .75 AP focal reducer to increase speed from F10 to F/7.5.  See Gavster's threads.
    • Televue 67/55 afocal setup to further increase speed from F/7.5 to ~F/3.  See Gavster's threads on this setup.
    • Astronomik 6nm h-alpha filter for nebula.  I went with Bobhen's recommendation as he also views from B8 skies.
    • PVS-14 intensifier.  Most will point you to mod 3, but the TV afocal setup seemed like a good match for my C11...and mod 3 are long wait/unobtainium right now.
    • Mirror diagonal.  See Chemisted's thread on how dialectric diagonals impact globular performance

As far a dream large aperture dob setup goes, check this out: https://www.youtube....bRDRyl3LZg&t=9s

#7 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 07 November 2021 - 12:53 PM

For me I decided on New Moon Telescopes, I have an order in now. Something to last a lifetime, that's my plan.  

Which model are you ordering?  I also plan on ordering an NMT scope, and also plan on getting into NV.  One day.  :grin:

Mike

#8 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 07 November 2021 - 03:08 PM

What is your ideal set of equipment (dream set, if money was no object)?  I mean a comprehensive list.

What telescope would you buy? Dobsonian? If so what brand? Hubble, explorer scientifica, skywatcher? others? What size?

what type of tracking would you go for?

What nightvision set would you go for? Mono or Bino? What is the best set out there?

what eyepieces? Appears televue plossl is recommended. Why not ethos? What would be your pick?

any other equipment?

1) f/3 Dob, ServoCAT. NV is typically a low to medium power affair, but Go2 and tracking are a luxury I don’t want to give up. Back up the Dob with a 120-140 class apo refractor. And then a few SLR lenses for hand held, size to taste. Maybe 50mm, 85mm, 100mm. 

2) A mono NV unit because using bino devices on telescopes (especially Dobs) gets awkward fast. Go for a prime focus device. Don’t worry too much about phosphor color or film/unfilmed. Set a time limit to make the purchase and worry about ebi, snr, and perhaps halo - but don’t wait beyond your time limit unless the choices are truly poor.

Of course if money is no object wink.gif and you trust your vendor, you could give him Unicorn specs and tell him you’ll pay a bounty of a thousand or two over market price. That will really motivate him to shake the tree and with the military’s poor prospects right now that tube may turn up quicker than you imagined. 

3) Using an Ethos is pointless since the intensifier only uses the central 40 degrees. That money would be far better spent to track down a C-mount ENVIS lens on fleaBay. Then get the 55 Plossl and 67 conversion lens. Absolutely the best game in town for maximum brightness and widest field. That combo on a small refractor will take you down to the realm of a mid-range telephoto lens. After the 55/67 prime focus choices are better. 

• GeezerGazer and Sarkikos like this

#9 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

• Loc: Hellertown, PA

Posted 07 November 2021 - 07:15 PM

Going to be contrarian as usual, for night vision....

For NV you dont need a premium dob, save the money, unless you are going bigger than 16".  Start with any of the F4 Newts, add an ASA Coma corrector 0.75x (or other variant), that turns them into F3's.....  same rig is sold as a Boren Simon Power Newts, I have this rig in 6", 8", 16" (F4.5 reduced).  Big advantage here is that the CO is reasonable, and you typically end up faster than say a very expensive F2.8 newt with a 1.15 paracorr.  I have about a grand in my 16" and another in the ASA, which is a very small fraction of premium plywood (its the optics that matter not the plywood).  

For Night vision its great to have a widefield rig for extended objects and views as well as something that can get you up close.

Dont buy a paracorr, I couldnt imagaine a worse investment for NV, and yes, I have one.  Why would you ever want to take a 1.15x penalty on speed is beyond me, when you can get coma correction and 0.75x multiplier.

The only way to go is PVS-14, C-mount would have been a great choice a few years ago.  Now I cant see a reason to go prime.

I use non TV eyepieces in the range from 36 to 85, 55 and 67 are a bit limiting IMHO.

If you want big and good with planets as well a 24 F4 is a great do it all scope (and yes, put the paracorr in for Jupiter).

• Sarkikos likes this

#10 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 07 November 2021 - 07:59 PM

Would you even notice coma with NV without a coma corrector?   Don't NVD's have about a 40 degree AFOV?  Coma increases with lateral distance from center of field.  But would coma be obvious at f/3 or so even at 40 degrees AFOV?  I have an f/4 and an f/3.9.  How would they do?

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 07 November 2021 - 08:04 PM.

#11 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 07 November 2021 - 08:02 PM

Is an ENVIS lens still the way to go ... if you can get one?  Hasn't someone come up with an equivalent - or near equivalent - substitute for these yet?

Is talking about looking for an ENVIS almost as bad as talking about ZAO's ... or XO's?  ENVIS has left the building.  grin.gif  

Well, I have XO's but no ZAO's or ENVIS.  

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 07 November 2021 - 08:19 PM.

#12 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 07 November 2021 - 08:09 PM

The only way to go is PVS-14, C-mount would have been a great choice a few years ago.  Now I cant see a reason to go prime.

Why?  I thought a Mod 3 with C-mount was the ultimate NVD.   What's changed?   A PVS-14 will only allow afocal.  Mod 3 with C-mount will give afocal and prime focus.  Why have a system which will only provide afocal and no prime focus?  Why not go prime?

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 07 November 2021 - 08:20 PM.

#13 chemisted

chemisted

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2021 - 08:35 PM

[quote name="Sarkikos" post="11482342" timestamp="1636333359"]

Is talking about looking for an ENVIS almost as bad as talking about ZAO's ... or XO's? ENVIS has left the building.

This may be true. Since the OP has said money is not a problem I think the obvious solution is to buy two monoculars. Get the Mod-3C for prime and a PVS-14 for afocal.

Edited by chemisted, 07 November 2021 - 08:37 PM.

• Sarkikos, cnoct and ButterFly like this

#14 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

• Loc: Hellertown, PA

Posted 09 November 2021 - 04:22 PM

Why would anyone use Prime?  I can hook a camera lens up to a PVS-14, and Sarkikos is correct even at 3.6, which is the fastest I have without correction, coma isnt that bad.......We even use the 3" 30 Degree on this scope without correction and the view is still spectacular (yes there is coma) but get in the heart of the milkyway with 36" of aperature and you kinda forget about it. (thats a 3" moonlight)thumbnail_IMG_20211107_064242_600x800.jpg

• Sarkikos likes this

#15 a__l

a__l

Gemini

• -----

Posted 09 November 2021 - 05:44 PM

Probably gatorengineer has minimal experience of using NV in various modes so far.

Why would anyone use Prime?  

To have less glass in the optical path and get the best picture quality.

Start with any of the F4 Newts, add an ASA Coma corrector 0.75x (or other variant), that turns them into F3's.....  same rig is sold as a Boren Simon 

Use this corrector for prime only. Do not buy it if you plan to use afocal mode. Strong vignetting with TV 67. This corrector is not intended for this.

Dont buy a paracorr, I couldnt imagaine a worse investment for NV, and yes, I have one.  Why would you ever want to take a 1.15x penalty on speed is beyond me, when you can get coma correction and 0.75x multiplier.

Paracorr-2 is the most optimal corrector for both NV (afocal and prime) and glass eyepieces. I recommend buying two, one for afocal use and one for prime. To quickly switch between them. If you want a picture without vignetting in afocal with the TV-67, the 3" paracorr-2 is probably the best option.

Would you even notice coma with NV without a coma corrector?   Don't NVD's have about a 40 degree AFOV?  Coma increases with lateral distance from center of field.  But would coma be obvious at f/3 or so even at 40 degrees AFOV?  I have an f/4 and an f/3.9.  How would they do?

Very significant coma in my f/4, especially when using afocal mode with the TV67. I don't like the picture when the stars are smeared into stripes instead of dots.
I will not even comment on the use of my f/3.3 without a corrector ...

Edited by a__l, 09 November 2021 - 05:45 PM.

#16 chemisted

chemisted

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 November 2021 - 05:54 PM

Why would anyone use Prime?  I can hook a camera lens up to a PVS-14

Gatorengineer, I like these posts of yours as I think you are trying to get the word out about using a PVS-14 afocally with camera lenses.  I sometimes think you and I are the only people in the world that have done this bit of magic in the hobby.

#17 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 09 November 2021 - 06:25 PM

Why would anyone use Prime?

Let me count the reasons ...

1) If you have Prime, you can still do Afocal. The reverse is not true.

2) Poor edge correction using afocal. Prime edge correction is only limited by your telescope. The photocathode and phosphor screen on NV devices are flat. Prime with a flat field telescope (like a Petzval or a Epsilon) is absolutely gorgeous - pinpoints to the edge.

3) Ergonomics. Get the picture?

Attached Thumbnails

• Afocal vs. Prime.001.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Morgan, 09 November 2021 - 06:26 PM.

• GeezerGazer, Sarkikos, gozer and 1 other like this

#18 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 09 November 2021 - 06:35 PM

ENVIS has left the building.

Like buying any out-of-production item on the classifieds ... it can take patience.

There are other 25mm C-mount lenses to tide you over while you wait. There were a few threads about those options the interested reader can data mine.

Outside of Afocal, I really don't use my ENVIS (and no, it is not for sale grin.gif ). I find I like my Canon 50mm SLR lens better, it gives about 1.8x. Those are plentiful.

• Sarkikos likes this

#19 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:10 PM

Let me count the reasons ...

1) If you have Prime, you can still do Afocal. The reverse is not true.

2) Poor edge correction using afocal. Prime edge correction is only limited by your telescope. The photocathode and phosphor screen on NV devices are flat. Prime with a flat field telescope (like a Petzval or a Epsilon) is absolutely gorgeous - pinpoints to the edge.

3) Ergonomics. Get the picture?

I do hate a long cantilever sticking out of the telescope.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 09 November 2021 - 09:11 PM.

#20 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 November 2021 - 05:08 PM

I would want prime eventually.  I don't want to void the warranty, so I'll wait.  It's not a deal breaker.  I would choose an option that would let me dismount the lens easily, rather than swapping the tube into a new body each time.

The biggest reason to not go prime is having to find a front lens if you need to, for prime afocal and 1x.  That can take a while and cost quite a bit.  IR security camera lenses are probably the best option while waiting.  They are designed for near-IR work.

But back to OP, the "ideal set" is probably whatever set of scopes one has before getting a device.  I find it unlikley that one would stumble into this without some experience with a set of scopes.  But should one do so, it's not too far off from a visual setup - one dob and one 80mm class refractor.  Camera lenses at prime are fine if you have them, but I really never use my 80mm without an h-alpha filter anyway.  There's just no point for me - globs are better in my 15" than in either the 80mm or the 120mm - no contest.  The dob does better for all of the unfiltered stuff like clusters, galaxies, and fasteroids.  The dob is also more resolved for h-alpha stuff, but I miss the big picture with its small scale.  Having spent some time on a handful of scopes larger than my 15", I think I'm ready for some land and a meter class.

It would seem that OP has nothing left, after selling things off, so 10-12" dob, and an 80mm.  Keep them at or under f/7 for nebulae.  I hand track with the 80mm because it's really only the 67PP that goes in that.  The dob has ServoCAT.  An SCT with its reducer fits the bill as well.  At its native f/ratio, it's fine for unfiltered stuff.  One mount can handle both.  With my use of my 80mm f/6 for h-alpha only, an APO is not needed, but I often use it during the day as well.  If you have lots of camera lenses lying around, skip the 80mm.

In terms of eyepieces, less glass is better, and only the inner 40 degrees counts anyway (so no need for Ethos, but they work fine if you have them already).  The Dioptrx mating system can get annoying when it jams, but it works.  I am looking forward to seeing how the APM zoom does.  That's not necessarily an NV purchase, but the native Dioptrx support is a plus.  Zooming with the Baader Mark IV is great for unfiltered things, and kind of requried for wildlife with the 80mm.  It's internal reflections are getting annoying.  Swapping eyepieces then relocating something is hard to do in the dark.

The focuser is where I can imagine a mass-produced scope would fail soonest.  Even in prime, it's still a way out, and there is fiddling to be done with the gain-knob and perhaps the back focuser of the device.  It has to handle the torques from the weight and the fiddling.

Edited by ButterFly, 10 November 2021 - 05:09 PM.

#21 Deadlake

Deadlake

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 November 2021 - 12:35 PM

What are the pro's and cons of a C11Edge versus a 10" Boren-Simon. As far as I can discern the Boren-Simon can be used in prime mode which ever after using double-up'd reducers on the C11 you are still stuck with a focal usage. The newt obvious needs more collimation or not???

Any other options to keep the eye piece at the correct end of the scope, a ODK 10" for example?

I'm current looking at sourcing a OVNI M second hand and for me the Boren-Simon looks like the best route to go for a 10" scope in prime mode. 

If I was going with a larger scope above 11" I'd look at a 20" F3 ish DOB but that's another post.

Note: It's also impossible to get a 2" BBHS mirror diagonal, I've looked for months, so not a requirement on the Boren-Simon.

Edited by Deadlake, 14 November 2021 - 02:22 PM.

#22 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

Posted 14 November 2021 - 12:59 PM

Dead,

I have the 8” Borden-Simon and use at F/4 and at F/2.8 with included reduced/ corrector and it’s a great scope. Setup is with a 5-slot 1.25” filter wheel and the Mod3 and PVS7 both focus. 

I had a f/10 8” SCT and sold it as the focal ratio is too high for NV and even using the Antares focal reducer the views are too dark. Some DSOs show well at higher ratio but overall I found the views too dark.

As for collimating, I use the Astrobeam II a couple times a year just to check but I haven’t made any adjustments in well over a year and the views look great. 

Edited by Mazerski, 14 November 2021 - 01:03 PM.

• Sarkikos and Deadlake like this

#23 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

Posted 14 November 2021 - 01:32 PM

Dead,

If this helps, I have a 14" Losmandy mounting plate and the Berlebach Tube Grip.

Attached Thumbnails

• BS8ED.JPG

• Sarkikos and Deadlake like this

#24 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 14 November 2021 - 01:55 PM

What is the 8" Borden-Simon?  (Boren-Simon?)  An 8" f/4 Newt?  Where is it available?  This is the first time I've heard of it.

Is the reducer/corrector, a reducer which corrects the coma?

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 14 November 2021 - 01:56 PM.

#25 Deadlake

Deadlake

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 November 2021 - 02:19 PM

Presume this is sourced from TS, why did you go with the 8", the 10" does not weigh that much more?

What do you mount it on? I was planning to use an AZ100, however a C11 would be easier to mount.

Edited by Deadlake, 14 November 2021 - 03:53 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics