•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Afocal adapters

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central NJ

Posted 10 October 2021 - 03:51 PM

I'm doing a lot of reading in regards to NV and afocal, specifically with the PSV14. I'm aware that TV makes an adapter to connect to many of their eyepieces, and ultimately the 55mm plossl and 67mm adapter would be on a buy list should I pull the trigger. But I'm also looking at ways to attach a couple of my other eyepieces, namely the 30mm GSO Superview that came with my scope and a couple of my lower powered APM/Stellarvue pieces like the 20mm and possibly the 13mm. 2 possible solutions I've come across are:

-This thread in the vendor section, https://www.cloudyni...afocal-adapter/ which has a link to this one https://www.ovni-nig...essories-ovni-b showing the adapter first. 

-This link posted by another member  https://novagrade.co...camera-adapter/

The first one seems to thread into the objective lens end on the NVD and then clamp to the eyepiece. Does anyone know if this is correct?

The second seems to accomplish the same, except I'm guessing I'd need to know the thread size at the end of the PSV14 in order to get the correct size filter ring adapter. 

Am I on the right track, and has anyone come across other solutions? 

#2 stnagy

stnagy

Explorer 1

Posted 10 October 2021 - 09:26 PM

For what it’s worth, I think most of us on this forum would strongly recommend the Televue 55/67 for the PVS-14, so it’s good you’re considering that. Keep in mind a 2x Barlow on the 55/67 will give you about the same focal length as your GSO Superview, and a 4x Barlow will be somewhere between the 20mm and 13mm EPs, so it is possible to accomplish close to what you’re thinking about using that approach (although it makes the stack even longer). 

If you’re going to use a filter slider (instead of threading the filters on the eyepiece), then you could just acquire Televue plossls rather than another eyepiece brand for other focal lengths. All of the Televue eyepieces can be used with the same adapter, which is helpful. If you’re going to thread the filters on the eyepieces, though, then you should know the Televue 55/67 has a 2” barrel, while the rest of the Televue plossl line has 1.25” barrels, meaning you would need filters for both size barrels. 

In the Televue line, the longer focal length panoptic EPs have 2” barrels, and you could pair these with a 2x or 4x Barlow to achieve the results you’re after. 

If you’re set on going with another eyepiece manufacturer for afocal, I’d recommend checking with Joko about the OVNI adapter. He’s the owner and he’s on these forums. If he is still making them and they seem suitable for you, that’s another good alternative. 

If the OVNI adapter doesn’t work out, I’d investigate what threads (if any) are present on the viewing side of the eyepieces you’re considering. A lot of eyepieces do actually have threads there, so it may be possible to acquire the adapters you need to connect the ENVIS threads on the PVS-14 objective directly to the eyepiece. You’d probably need this adapter (ENVIS to M42) to start, and then M42 to whatever thread is at the eyepiece (and maybe some spacers depending on the EP eye relief). https://rafcamera.co...f-to-m30-3x0-8m

BTW, the thread of the PVS-14 objective is an ENVIS thread (M30.3x0.8)

Hopefully this helps. Good luck!

Edited by stnagy, 10 October 2021 - 09:28 PM.

• Speedy1985 likes this

#3 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2021 - 05:19 PM

For what it’s worth, I think most of us on this forum would strongly recommend the Televue 55/67 for the PVS-14, so it’s good you’re considering that. Keep in mind a 2x Barlow on the 55/67 will give you about the same focal length as your GSO Superview, and a 4x Barlow will be somewhere between the 20mm and 13mm EPs, so it is possible to accomplish close to what you’re thinking about using that approach (although it makes the stack even longer). 

If you’re going to use a filter slider (instead of threading the filters on the eyepiece), then you could just acquire Televue plossls rather than another eyepiece brand for other focal lengths. All of the Televue eyepieces can be used with the same adapter, which is helpful. If you’re going to thread the filters on the eyepieces, though, then you should know the Televue 55/67 has a 2” barrel, while the rest of the Televue plossl line has 1.25” barrels, meaning you would need filters for both size barrels. 

In the Televue line, the longer focal length panoptic EPs have 2” barrels, and you could pair these with a 2x or 4x Barlow to achieve the results you’re after. 

If you’re set on going with another eyepiece manufacturer for afocal, I’d recommend checking with Joko about the OVNI adapter. He’s the owner and he’s on these forums. If he is still making them and they seem suitable for you, that’s another good alternative. 

If the OVNI adapter doesn’t work out, I’d investigate what threads (if any) are present on the viewing side of the eyepieces you’re considering. A lot of eyepieces do actually have threads there, so it may be possible to acquire the adapters you need to connect the ENVIS threads on the PVS-14 objective directly to the eyepiece. You’d probably need this adapter (ENVIS to M42) to start, and then M42 to whatever thread is at the eyepiece (and maybe some spacers depending on the EP eye relief). https://rafcamera.co...f-to-m30-3x0-8m

BTW, the thread of the PVS-14 objective is an ENVIS thread (M30.3x0.8)

Hopefully this helps. Good luck!

Thank you for the insight and the heads up about Joko! 

If I do got the NV route, which seems to be almost a no-brainer at this point, I'm definitely going to get the TV 55/67 and the associated adapter to start. I'll wait until I have those to see if the adapter will work with the APM pieces I already have or if there is a way to modify it. Then I can stay with 2" filters as well, as they all have 2" barrels or barrel adapters. If not, then I will have to consider the barlow option. 

The viewing side of my eyepieces don't have what I'd consider a standard thread, but rather a couple of what look to be either straight threads or just parallel grooves to hold the eyecup on. 

I'm going to keep digging, as I have time to figure some of this out while I squirrel away a few more nuts to buy everything. And I'm sure I'll have time once I order what I want too with the current state of things.

• stnagy likes this

#4 rexowner

rexowner

Viking 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 11 October 2021 - 10:02 PM

There are different ways to attach the PVS-14 to an eyepiece.

I have the PVS-14, and the Tele Vue TNV-14 adapter.  Basically, this

tightens a split ring on to the top of the eyepiece.  Maybe it's a personal

problem, but  e.g. last night looking at M31 it was mechanically difficult

to attach the PVS-14 to my 55 Plossl.  IMO, just not the greatest system

possible.

I also had an adapter made at PreciseParts, that mates the PVS-14 female

threads to the male threads on a BHZ 8-24 zoom.  I blv the thread is the same

on Pentax XW's 3.5-40mm.

I personally prefer the threaded attachments vs. split rings.

YMMV.  Keep digging ;-)

Edited by rexowner, 12 October 2021 - 09:31 AM.

• Speedy1985 likes this

#5 cnoct

cnoct

Apollo

• Loc: Hawai'i

Posted 12 October 2021 - 04:00 AM

The Novagrade system has been invaluable for my uses. 

Novagrade PVS-14 Afocal Eyepeice Adapter.jpg

PVS-7 Afocal Adapter for NV Astronomy.jpg

NVD Micro Afocal Adapter.jpg

Also like the Baader Microstage II for the versatility it offers.
  • Joko, rexowner and Speedy1985 like this

#6 Joko

Joko

Vendor - OVNI

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: FRANCE, EUROPE

Posted 12 October 2021 - 05:49 AM

I'm doing a lot of reading in regards to NV and afocal, specifically with the PSV14. I'm aware that TV makes an adapter to connect to many of their eyepieces, and ultimately the 55mm plossl and 67mm adapter would be on a buy list should I pull the trigger. But I'm also looking at ways to attach a couple of my other eyepieces, namely the 30mm GSO Superview that came with my scope and a couple of my lower powered APM/Stellarvue pieces like the 20mm and possibly the 13mm. 2 possible solutions I've come across are:

-This thread in the vendor section, https://www.cloudyni...afocal-adapter/ which has a link to this one https://www.ovni-nig...essories-ovni-b showing the adapter first. 

-This link posted by another member  https://novagrade.co...camera-adapter/

The first one seems to thread into the objective lens end on the NVD and then clamp to the eyepiece. Does anyone know if this is correct?

The second seems to accomplish the same, except I'm guessing I'd need to know the thread size at the end of the PSV14 in order to get the correct size filter ring adapter. 

Am I on the right track, and has anyone come across other solutions? 

Like our mono and bino NVD, all our accessories are very flexible and made to be easy to use.

To answer your questions :

- yes our afocal adapter will work with any glass eyepiece from all the brands (Televue, GSO, APM...). There is no restriction to just one brand.

- yes they can fit PVS-14 but please note all our accessories are only available for OVNI-M / OVNI-B users. 

Edited by Joko, 12 October 2021 - 06:03 AM.

#7 stnagy

stnagy

Explorer 1

Posted 12 October 2021 - 10:52 AM

- yes they can fit PVS-14 but please note all our accessories are only available for OVNI-M / OVNI-B users. 

Joko, what is the reason you have decided not to sell any accessories to users of other systems? 

• Speedy1985 likes this

#8 Joko

Joko

Vendor - OVNI

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:06 PM

Joko, what is the reason you have decided not to sell any accessories to users of other systems?

First of all, please note the most important accessories are included « in the box » when an OVNI-M / OVNI-B is ordered.
Selling a NVD that requires the purchase of additional accessories and adapters to operate is not in my philosophy for NV newcomers.
So our main innovations and accessories are already not available to users of other systems.

Secondly, our additional accessories belong to the OVNI Night Vision ecosystem with many other benefits.
They are optimized for our NV monoculars / binoviewers as those accessories were designed by listening users opinions and needs.
So it's fair that only OVNI users can order them.

Edited by Joko, 12 October 2021 - 04:28 PM.

#9 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2021 - 03:43 PM

There are different ways to attach the PVS-14 to an eyepiece.

I have the PVS-14, and the Tele Vue TNV-14 adapter.  Basically, this

tightens a split ring on to the top of the eyepiece.  Maybe it's a personal

problem, but  e.g. last night looking at M31 it was mechanically difficult

to attach the PVS-14 to my 55 Plossl.  IMO, just not the greatest system

possible.

I also had an adapter made at PreciseParts, that mates the PVS-14 female

threads to the male threads on a BHZ 8-24 zoom.  I blv the thread is the same

on Pentax XW's 3.5-40mm.

I personally prefer the threaded attachments vs. split rings.

YMMV.  Keep digging ;-)

Thank you. I was trying to wrap my hands around how the TV adapter worked, and I thought that it attached to threads on the eyepiece. Now that I know it's a split rings type of system, I'll be interested to see if it will fit my APM's. 

#10 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2021 - 03:59 PM

The Novagrade system has been invaluable for my uses. 

attachicon.gifNovagrade PVS-14 Afocal Eyepeice Adapter.jpg

attachicon.gifPVS-7 Afocal Adapter for NV Astronomy.jpg

attachicon.gifNVD Micro Afocal Adapter.jpg

Also like the Baader Microstage II for the versatility it offers.

So if I'm seeing this correctly, this Novagrade system works in the same way as the TV, by clamping to the eyepiece? Does the T-mount adapter screw into the thread of the PVS14?

#11 stnagy

stnagy

Explorer 1

Posted 12 October 2021 - 04:51 PM

First of all, please note the most important accessories are included « in the box » when an OVNI-M / OVNI-B is ordered.
Selling a NVD that requires the purchase of additional accessories and adapters to operate is not in my philosophy for NV newcomers.
So our main innovations and accessories are already not available to users of other systems.

Secondly, our additional accessories belong to the OVNI Night Vision ecosystem with many other benefits.
They are optimized for our NV monoculars / binoviewers as those accessories were designed by listening users opinions and needs.
So it's fair that only OVNI users can order them.

It sounds like you're basically taking a walled garden approach to the OVNI system. Fair enough, it's your business. 

#12 rexowner

rexowner

Viking 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 12 October 2021 - 10:04 PM

Thank you. I was trying to wrap my hands around how the TV adapter worked, and I thought that it attached to threads on the eyepiece. Now that I know it's a split rings type of system, I'll be interested to see if it will fit my APM's. 

I think that the split ring system is the same size/type as the more widely used Dioptrx.

You could get a good idea on fit by asking here or the eyepiece forum.  I don't use Dioptrx, but

there is a lot of conversation about what eyepieces it will fit by those that do use Dioptrx.

(JMO, but IMO it works great for a lightweight attachment like an light astigmatism-correcting lens

like Dioptrx, but not so great for a heavier system like a PVS-14.  It does indeed work, and

maybe it's on me, but I find it non-ideal in the field for the PVS-14.)

#13 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 October 2021 - 10:16 PM

It is indeed the Dioptrx split ring system.

Just search your current eyepieces, ie: GSO 30mm Dioptrx site:cloudynights.com.  That seems like a yes; the XWAs a NO.  Ask if it's not there already, or on one of the other fora.

#14 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 October 2021 - 10:18 PM

(JMO, but IMO it works great for a lightweight attachment like an light astigmatism-correcting lens

like Dioptrx, but not so great for a heavier system like a PVS-14.  It does indeed work, and

maybe it's on me, but I find it non-ideal in the field for the PVS-14.)

It can jam in the cold.  I have had to unscrew rather than loosen quite a few times.

• rexowner likes this

#15 Joko

Joko

Vendor - OVNI

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:02 AM

It sounds like you're basically taking a walled garden approach to the OVNI system. Fair enough, it's your business. 

There is no similar expression in French for "walled garden" so i had to search what it means and i'm not certain it really matches with our system.

As explained the OVNI afocal adapter works with any brands of eyepieces and is not restricted to only one brand. There are many other examples i could take, like the filter adapter at 1x, our is compatible with 1.25" and 2" filters and not restricted to only 1 thread.

The Multi adapter is also just one adapter to get 1.25" barrel, 2" barrel, threads for filters, c-mount, M42 and T2.

This is to avoid to have to climb the "Tibetan mountains" and to search for hours compatible parts.

All our NVD and accessories are made in the same spirit smile.gif

Edited by Joko, 13 October 2021 - 04:09 AM.

#16 stnagy

stnagy

Explorer 1

Posted 13 October 2021 - 05:54 AM

There is no similar expression in French for "walled garden" so i had to search what it means and i'm not certain it really matches with our system.
As explained the OVNI afocal adapter works with any brands of eyepieces and is not restricted to only one brand. There are many other examples i could take, like the filter adapter at 1x, our is compatible with 1.25" and 2" filters and not restricted to only 1 thread.
The Multi adapter is also just one adapter to get 1.25" barrel, 2" barrel, threads for filters, c-mount, M42 and T2.
This is to avoid to have to climb the "Tibetan mountains" and to search for hours compatible parts.
All our NVD and accessories are made in the same spirit smile.gif

It's a walled garden because you're only allowing those already "inside the garden" (i.e. who have bought your more expensive products) to buy your other products.

Those outside your garden can't, even if they want to.

It's like Televue refusing to sell you their eyepieces unless you first buy one of their telescopes. Honestly hoping we don't see this approach in our hobby too often, but unfortunately there have been more examples of it recently, especially on the imaging side.

#17 Joko

Joko

Vendor - OVNI

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:48 AM

It's a walled garden because you're only allowing those already "inside the garden" (i.e. who have bought your more expensive products) to buy your other products.

Those outside your garden can't, even if they want to.

It's like Televue refusing to sell you their eyepieces unless you first buy one of their telescopes. Honestly hoping we don't see this approach in our hobby too often, but unfortunately there have been more examples of it recently, especially on the imaging side.

Thanks for explanations but i don't think you take the right example with Televue.

Televue sells a PVS-14 that does not operate on telescope without buying their addtional adapters and eyepieces.

Like their afocal adapter that will only work with TV eyepieces. 

Same with their FoneMate and 67mm converter, they only work with TV products.

That's right there is no obligation to buy TV accessories/eyepieces but if the user don't, his PVS-14 will not work on a telescope.

Based on your definition, is that not a real walled garden and is it the approach you like to see ?

(It's not a judgement about TV, their PVS-14 is a great NVD and they do what they want with their business)

As explained previously all our main innovations and accessories are included, "inside the box", so our NVD will work in any telescope without obligation to purchase additional accessories or glass eyepieces.

Edited by Joko, 13 October 2021 - 09:15 AM.

#18 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:17 AM

Televue does not make the Baader Zoom.  I use that afocally with a PVS14.

#19 a__l

a__l

Gemini

• -----

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:33 PM

Need an adapter similar to this https://rafcamera.co...f-to-m30-3x0-8m
I don't like the TV adapter for Dioptrix. This is for light weight. More reliable thread connection.
TV67 has an M38.5 thread when the cone is removed.
Perhaps rafcamera will do this if you contact him with the appropriate question. I made such an adapter myself.

• Speedy1985 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics