•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Small Refractor comparo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bonco2

Bonco2

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2021 - 08:06 PM

Finally in Florida have had a chance to compare my small refractors for optical performance mainly using Jupiter as the target. First report many days ago was evaluating my Unitron 60mm model 28. I found it to exceed my expectations on sharpness, and contrast. I consider it the best 60mm I've experienced. Next was my 75mm Unitron. For sure an improvement due to brightness and higher magnification. As always I found it performs as one would expect. 

Tonight I mounted my Tasco 10K 80mm F15 on my Unitron mount...I'm comparing optics not mounts. The truth is the Tasco has a replacement  Carton lens from Sheldon. Well....It's a performer on planets. It hasn't star tested as well as my 75mm Unitron. But it gave my best views of Jupiter and Saturn this season so far. The funny thing is I want to let some scopes go. I recently offered the Tasco for $100  with  it's humble mount included. Had a potential local buyer. But he asked how it star tested. I told him it wasn't as good as my Unitron and seemed less than perfect but very good.  He balked and said it must not a have a Carlton lens...BS... Shelton assured me this lens was a Carlton and  tested very good. So I've offered a real performer for $100 with it's feeble mount but no takers so far. In my opinion this could be a great "cheap" out reach scope...Maybe I'll just give it  away.

Bill  

• steve t, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#2 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 10 October 2021 - 10:18 PM

Although I don't have a complete Unitron telescope, the lens from an early 60mm f/15 Unitron are installed in one of my Sears 6305 refractors. My experience with the Unitron lenses is just like yours. It provides excellent star tests and is very sharp on the planets. My 100mm f/13 and 60mm f/17 telescopes sport Carton lenses also from Sheldon and they both perform really well. In fact I cannot see much difference between the 60mm Unitron and Carton lenses. The 80mm Carton lens from Sheldon must be just as good. Anyone that gets it will be pleasantly surprised by its performance.

• mdowns, Terra Nova, Bonco2 and 1 other like this

#3 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 11 October 2021 - 10:06 AM

My ~1955-56 62mm has a superb objective as did my now gone ~1958-60 75mm Unitron. I got a Carton 60x1000 objective from Sheldon that I used in a Monolux 4380 that I restored and gave away. It was a great objective. Certain no complaints about the Carton.

• mdowns, Star.Monger, Bonco2 and 1 other like this

#4 Star.Monger

Star.Monger

Mariner 2

• Loc: Maine

Posted 12 October 2021 - 07:12 AM

+1 for the Carton lenses. I have a 60/1000 and an 80/1000, both from Sheldon.  To my eye, the Carton 80 is equal to the venerable 80s Vixen 80/910. Given what Stellarvue 80/900s go for, $100 is a bargain. 

• mdowns, Terra Nova, Bonco2 and 1 other like this

#5 Bonco2

Bonco2

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2021 - 03:25 PM

Pretty interesting learning from posts here and else where that so many have bought from Sheldon. He seems rather popular among members of this forum.

Bill

• mdowns, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#6 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 12 October 2021 - 04:30 PM

Pretty interesting learning from posts here and else where that so many have bought from Sheldon. He seems rather popular among members of this forum.

Bill

Sheldon is a great guy! He is very generous with his talents and knowledge. He’s helped me many times.

• mdowns, fsphotography, Bonco2 and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics