•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

This is better than Mars colonization in many aspects.

Planet
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Deep Science

Deep Science

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2021 - 01:56 PM

Venus is not at the top of the priority list when it comes to the colonizing space. Mars mostly takes that spot but when checked thoroughly it is very comparable to Mars Colonization and in some aspects it is even better and easier than Mars Colonization. 

https://scientificdo...ties-on-venus/ 

• Sky King and SkyHunter1 like this

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 11 October 2021 - 02:16 PM

I think solid ground for on site travel, and landing/building/departing has some advantages.

Edited by bobzeq25, 11 October 2021 - 02:16 PM.

• ShaulaB and rekokich like this

#3 photoracer18

photoracer18

Aurora

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 11 October 2021 - 03:08 PM

First you have to terraform Venus before even considering it. There was an idea back in the 80's I think, based on the then known atmosphere and temperature, to seed the upper atmosphere with some kind of algae, if I remember correctly, that would ingest the CO2 and cause rain to fall. It would take maybe 100 years for the rain to cool the atmosphere to the point that the rain would strike the surface and then we could actually land there. Never went anywhere I think. Probably someone was afraid we might cause the extinction of a native life form although we have no idea what could thrive at 7000F without any water.

• ShaulaB likes this

#4 rob1986

rob1986

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2021 - 03:15 PM

it has been opined that the atmosphere might change substantially if we set some plants floating in it.

#5 Sky King

Sky King

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 11 October 2021 - 03:23 PM

Interesting! The video linked is about "Cloud Cities on Venus." Apparently 50 km above Venus, it's 50 C and 1 atmosphere. The plan is to float on breathable air, which would be lighter than Venus' atmosphere. There does seem to be problems like the acid clouds, but it's just a proposal at this point. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics