•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stars shape and tilt

Accessories Astrophotography Collimation Optics Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ANILOUUU

ANILOUUU

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:06 AM

Hey everyone !

-Since I've been building my set-up, I had problems with my stars in the corners of my images. They really don't look round in all the 4 corners of my images + they don't have the same odd pattern in all the corners. At the beginning I thought that it was only a comma issue and thus tried to get my back focus as perfect as possible, but this barely made a change.

I have two questions here:

1. I made some test and noticed that by rotating my camera 90 degrees with my rotator, the shape of the stars barely (really barely) changed in the corners. Thus, the MAIN issue is a camera tilt. Is my assumption right?

2. Then I learned about tilt (correct me if I am misusing some terms, please) and their collimators and found the ZWO Tilting Collimator T2. By thinking about how should I put it on my imaging train and how they suggest it on their website, I thought their design wasn't optimized. I have a WO 73 APO refractor, a ZWO 294MM PRO and a  7 positions EFW Filter wheel and they suggest putting the Tilt collimator in between those 2. This tilt collimator have knob screws to adjust which create an extra "thickness". This design makes according to me impossible the incorporation of the collimator in between. To solve this (assuming my first assumption is right), I thought about putting it after my field flattner and before the filter wheels meaning taking off a 11mm spacer. Would that create another problem or make my tilt solver useless?
I'm going to create a drive with all the images.

Thanks a lot and I hope this is clear,

AstroMunchies

#2 ANILOUUU

ANILOUUU

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:10 AM

Here is a link to the drive with screenshots of the 4 corners and my set-up:

https://drive.google...6bC?usp=sharing

Thank you in advance gentlemen !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Astrophotography, Collimation, Optics, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics