•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Some very nice seeing amongst Saturn, Jupiter & Neptune captures...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 Az Frank

Az Frank

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:55 PM

I for one Darryl is waiting for that book you should publish describing you and Pat's adventures and tales of planetary imaging down under in Australia. An epic piece for sure... worth considering. Always look forward to your commentaries and excellent images.
  • eros312 and dcaponeii like this

#27 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Vanguard

• Loc: Boston Area, MA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:43 AM

Wonderful results from you two amazing folks once again! Love the stories too which helps me visualize some of the moments. grin.gif

Might you be putting a plastic sheet or bag over the back of the C14 as added protection during the icing? scratchhead2.gif

• RedLionNJ likes this

#28 tonyb

tonyb

Viking 1

• Loc: WA, USA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 08:27 AM

Thanks so much for sharing your amazing images, and commentary. 

#29 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:45 AM

Wonderful results from you two amazing folks once again! Love the stories too which helps me visualize some of the moments. grin.gif

Might you be putting a plastic sheet or bag over the back of the C14 as added protection during the icing? scratchhead2.gif

I have an operational question about the icing.  Do you point the scope down directly towards the Earth and place the bags uniformly onto the visual back?  Ditto on writing that book by the way.  Just add it to the list.

#30 Sunspot

Sunspot

Voyager 1

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:05 AM

Actually, I think the book would write itself.

#31 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:14 PM

Thanks once again to everyone from Pattie & me - I've not quite finished the animation but will post it when we get home later today.

Answering a couple of questions in no order, the salted ice cannot really be re-frozen because it doesn't work as well the second time around...& Pattie would object to it taking a lot of space in the portable fridge/freezer also! wink.gif

That extra sheet of thin plastic isn't a bad idea John, although that's the purpose of the dual-bags - but another barrier wouldn't be bad - it is lifting it up & off from the high position that requires a bit of care...the little bit of extra weight & my tiredness was the real issue that night...after all, I've literally done it hundreds of times with no incidents before! fingerscrossed.gif The scope is face-down on the mount for the cooling btw.

The real problems are the spiky primary mirror guide rods that have caps but are still a danger if not careful.

The moons were just part of the overall processing Andrew...

Q - one of the local councillors took a pikky of us for the local rag years ago now when this "Dark Sky Reserve" was first mooted...which pikky-taking itself was many years after we had started going to those places - I guess we were way ahead of our time! wink.gif

As far as books, well. lol.gif I have enough trouble doing the things I'm supposed to do or think I really ought to do if you were to ask Pattie about that..! grin.gif

Back later today with the animation hopefully - Pattie's haranguing me to get by backside into gear for the trip to the city in a few minutes... smile.gif

• h2ologg, John Boudreau, eros312 and 2 others like this

#32 h2ologg

h2ologg

Messenger

• Loc: June Lake California

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:57 PM

Darryl, You and yours would be YouTube celeb$/influencer$ if you added one more element of vlogging (trouble) to your adventures.  Then we could also learn how you perform your magic and secrets. I for one look forward to your posted achievements here in CN!  Amazing images.

Dan

• eros312 and Sarciness like this

#33 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2021 - 01:16 AM

EDIT: Here's the link to our website page for the full-sized version of the CN-limits animation below: https://momilika.net...m_0.2secs.htm  

Dan, I have sometimes thought that doing a video of the collimating, focusing, capturing & processing procedures would be the best way for me to impart any real awareness of what we do, mainly because a lot of the "static" information we have in the tute pages of our website is so subject to the variations of any single night wrt processing in particular, but also for the other aspects.

But what a job that would be..! And I certainly have no interest in being one of those who gains any notoriety via YouTube..! bigshock.gif lol.gif

I've completed the animation & will wait until Pattie gets home for her to upload the full-scale image onto our website...I'll post that link in this post (#33) as an edit as well as another post letting folks know; also a rework of the Jovian image from the first night...not the best of seeing but I played with a 3x drizzle for no real improvements but added the individual filter images - here's the boutique CN-limits animation for now.

You can of course pump it up using your screen-browser & as you can see I could only include Io in the first few frames of the animation due to the ROI used...

j2021-10-11_09-46_rgb_dpm-ANIME-0.2seconds@54%.gif

Edited by Kokatha man, 15 October 2021 - 06:51 AM.

• JMP, Kenny V., h2ologg and 11 others like this

#34 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2021 - 06:57 AM

I've just edited the post above to include the link to the full-sized animation: fwiw here is the October 10th Jovian image taken in poorer seeing than those from the 11th...I used a 3x drizzle version for this processing although I don't think it is really much better than the original I posted near the start of this thread - but I have included the individual filter images here as well. wink.gif

I'll post the polar maps tomorrow to complete the data from these 2 nights & look forward to some more opportunities before this current apparition peters out... smile.gif

j2021-10-10_09-36_rgb_dpm.png

• JMP, Kenny V., h2ologg and 14 others like this

#35 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 15 October 2021 - 11:01 AM

A beautiful set of images and animations, Darryl! I get a little twinge of excitement when I see a post from you appear, as I know how consistently well you process your images. This thread did not disappoint!

#36 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 15 October 2021 - 05:13 PM

Very nice images. The colour one clearly shows a string of lighter blue areas in the whiter band 10 - 11 o’clock of the GRS and some darker blue areas immediately down stream of the GRS. These are purported to be areas of clear skies to various depths as a result of the downstream turbulence from the GRS.
Paul

#37 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2021 - 07:34 PM

Thanks fellas - I've just commented to Frank in his new thread that after looking at his image with a very similar view from a few nights later...& also those images on ALPO-Japan, that heavy contrast to the turbulence in the GRS' wake is probably more what they currently present as rather than my thoughts at the time re being seeing-influenced...although the seeing was not the best for the 10th, nonetheless.

My description of the cloud stream interactions with the barges situated at the northern edge of the NEB is perhaps slightly awry...they definitely appear to me that the "deflect" up into the NTrZ but perhaps it is more technically correct to note that they emanate from the NEB...a bit more reading to do on that although I have an old but lovely NASA animation that is a great reference for this - found it here: https://commons.wiki...animation.gif    

I'll put the polar maps together later to wind up this data - I'm hoping that one of them might present a nice view of the small dark spots & other "detritus" in the STrZ...

#38 mayhem13

mayhem13

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 15 October 2021 - 08:28 PM

Fantastic captures!!!!

#39 Foc

Foc

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 16 October 2021 - 02:02 AM

Beauty Darryl!   Huge amount of high contrast detail in the red in post number 24 and a very dark NEB in the RGB

#40 JMP

JMP

Apollo

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:19 PM

Love the animation! Thanks to both of you for sharing this, Darryl!!

#41 h2ologg

h2ologg

Messenger

• Loc: June Lake California

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:56 PM

Darryl, You and Pattie YouTubers!!! 

You've got the adventures, the practical knowledge, a location many of us want to experience and are planetary imagers par excellence.  

Yes a lot of work to edit & produce a video well.  Fairly easy to make a tolerable video though.  A great way to archive your information, help others and keep a log/legacy of your adventures.

I'd be first to subscribe!

Dan

#42 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:11 PM

Beauty Darryl!   Huge amount of high contrast detail in the red in post number 24 and a very dark NEB in the RGB

I looked & could only presume you were referring to Q's avatar (Mars) in that post Ross..! grin.gif lol.gif

On a more serious note there is of course wink.gif & although I said the polar maps I'm posting in this thread would be the last from this data, I'm in the process of processing (saying that appeals to me grin.gif ) the next set of r-g-b's from that session...laziness & better data the next night had me ignore most of the captures from the 10th & Io transiting did not enthuse me re WinJUPOS, although it is not difficult with masks - will post if it works out ok.

Dan, I've done a bit of video presentation but not in the astro-field...but I well remember one of your own from earlier in the year! waytogo.gif I think I'll give it a miss however...too taxing I suspect & even I get sick of my OCD..! rofl2.gif

Thank you once again for the extra comments & likes from Pattie & me! smile.gif

Here's the maps: Io is of course elongated as expected in the South Polar projection. I've left a bit of noise in them because I don't think it detracts more than the enhanced aspects add btw. ;)

j2021-10-11-0953_0-SouthPolarMap.png

j2021-10-11-0953_0-NorthPolarMap.png

• JMP, eros312, KiwiRay and 3 others like this

#43 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 03:09 AM

Ok - this is the data that just keeps on giving...no freebies or giveaways here to lure the desperate...& unless you're really interested you won't be reading this post anyway..! lol.gif

All jokes aside (but it is true that very few are likely to read/see this grin.gif ) I thought that the red filter capture from October 10th (ASI290MM camera) offered a nice view of how Galilean moons' shadows are distorted (if that is the right term!) into an elliptical shape, particularly upon ingress.

To that end here is the red filter image of Jupiter, Io & its' shadows' transit at ingress on the 10th October displaying that markedly elliptical shadow.

Small animation in the next post.

j2021-10-10_09-54_r_dpm.png

• Yu Gu, Mirzam, John Boudreau and 9 others like this

#44 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 03:22 AM

A small animation of the first few red filter captures from that night also: another minor interesting note for those that might find it so is that on occasions it is quite possible to WinJUPOS a finite number of captures with Galilean Moons transiting Jove's disk...particularly Ganymede & Io in our experience.

Their orbital (& thus transit speeds) are not quite the same as the rotation speed of Jupiter but are near enough to allow WJ'ing of 2 or 3 captures that are taken in close sequence.

Allied to this commentary, when we employ WJ we never find the moons' AF's correspond to the positions of any moons in WJ - while I have noticed that some other folks find that they do...but our experience of their non-alignment or positional coordinates at high resolution incurs no detrimental effects whatsoever in our use of WJ in such situations.

On that score I have the first 2 r-g-b capture sets integrated in WinJUPOS where there is no blurring nor double-images of the moon in said derotation/integration...not the greatest of images & one where the first set is clearly superior to the 2 sets derotated, but that is a quite common experience btw anyway. I'll post it later perhaps. wink.gif

j2021-10-10_09-35_r_dpm.gif

• JMP, eros312, Foc and 3 others like this

#45 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 18 October 2021 - 01:09 PM

A small animation of the first few red filter captures from that night also: another minor interesting note for those that might find it so is that on occasions it is quite possible to WinJUPOS a finite number of captures with Galilean Moons transiting Jove's disk...particularly Ganymede & Io in our experience.

Their orbital (& thus transit speeds) are not quite the same as the rotation speed of Jupiter but are near enough to allow WJ'ing of 2 or 3 captures that are taken in close sequence.

Allied to this commentary, when we employ WJ we never find the moons' AF's correspond to the positions of any moons in WJ - while I have noticed that some other folks find that they do...but our experience of their non-alignment or positional coordinates at high resolution incurs no detrimental effects whatsoever in our use of WJ in such situations.

On that score I have the first 2 r-g-b capture sets integrated in WinJUPOS where there is no blurring nor double-images of the moon in said derotation/integration...not the greatest of images & one where the first set is clearly superior to the 2 sets derotated, but that is a quite common experience btw anyway. I'll post it later perhaps. wink.gif

attachicon.gifj2021-10-10_09-35_r_dpm.gif

Some of us read these.  I suspect that a better word that "distorted" for the elliptical shadow might be "projection".  The circular shadow projected onto the disk at a non-perpendicular angle results in the elliptical shape.  In fact if the measurement would allow for such precision, the only time that the shadow would be a perfect circle would be the situation in which the sun were directly in line with the moon and the shadow on the planetary meridian.  Otherwise the shadow is always being projected onto a surface the is not perpendicular to the direction from which the shadow is being cast.  I know TMI  !!

#46 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 06:26 PM

"Shadow perspective projection" in art terms Don - I was just grabbing for a word & didn't want to use too many brain cells..! lol.gif Limb fore-shortening comes into play also if I'm reading my own commentary in a link to an old thread of mine that Andrew provided in another thread. (that's the level of brain activity I'm capable of employing atm. rofl2.gif )

Without further ado here is the WJ integration (I much prefer this word to "derotation" - each image/stack is derotated wrt each other & then integrated in WJ for my money wink.gif ) of 2 consecutive r-g-b sets using the ASI290MM where Io is transiting.

This link https://www.cloudyni...tion/?p=9644986  - which Andrew (Tulloch) kindly provided in another thread to prove how miserly I was with information.....& more to the point that I was less than forthcoming with my Saturn capture details usually lol.gif - mentions WJ'ing 5 (not 4) sets of captures with Ganymede's shadow on the disk...

I mention in Post #44 above that Ganymede & Io are amenable to this because of the rotational speed of Jove Vs their orbital speeds...but with clearer hindsight now I think this is much more the case with Ganymede. (although laziness has not had me check this atm!)

But clearly Io within captures taken in quick succession allows for at least the integration of 2 of those capture sets: the image is not very good tbh but in comparing it is imo a little better/more detailed on the whole than the single capture set posted much earlier in this thread - & there is no sign of a doubling-up or blurred Io in the image.

j2021-10-10_09-38_rgb_dpm.png

• JMP, Kenny V., R Botero and 4 others like this

#47 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:44 AM

What size scope were you using?

#48 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:47 AM

What size scope were you using?

...same scope we've been using for many years, a C14! ;)

Thank you to additional people who've "Liked" the images in this thread btw! :)

#49 Az Frank

Az Frank

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:56 PM

Here Darryl  is what Ganymede's projected elongated shadow looks like. Sorry  don't mean to hijack your post but since the elongated shadow came up in your post I happen to have one too. It's the last image I took with a luminance filter the 19th.

Attached Thumbnails

• JUPITER1019C14-SHAD.jpg

• Spacedude4040, Kiwi Paul and Max Astronomy like this

#50 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:04 PM

All good Frank waytogo.gif  - we're both old posters in this forum whatever name changes it's undergone...I often think about how many of them have not posted here in a long time, but that's another story!

Your's is a good example - in the little close-up I raised the levels quite a lot to counter the natural limb-darkening that can obscure these types of shadows on the F limb.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics